Cutscenes haven't worked as of Oryx V1.10.1

Since I installed the V1.10.1 patch, all cutscenes are just black screens with a mouse cursor. Black screens don’t end on their own, but hitting “ESC” exits the cutscene and the game continues as normal.

Relevant error in Player.log cites a WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while trying to read whichever cinematic file is supposed to play. Log has the following note:

Context: Setting media type for first video stream
Error details: The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.
Track types:
Audio Track, type: %10%16
Video Track [1920 x 1080], type: H264

The cinematic videos play fine in VLC. I’ve also tried using VLC to rewrite one of them (in the same format, same filename), no change.

Windows 7 machine.

3 Likes

Same issue here.

1 Like

It appears that they have fixed and broken things at the same time. Windows 7 are now getting the cut scene bug. Especially those that have disabled updates. Other quick fix that screws some users.

2 Likes

Latest update, latest nVIDIA drivers, just re-downloaded from Steam, Win7 x64, no anims played, used manually ESC key to enter missions. Everything else works.

Turns out that screen Windows 10 users are affected as well.

1 Like

Then it really needs a hotfix, cant be something big, codec reading or so.

I can view the cutscenes just fine outside of the game.

1 Like

Just to confirm, went to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix Point\PhoenixPointWin64_Data\StreamingAssets\StreamableCopiedAssets
and can play every video in VLC

So in-game decoding is trouble, not codecs within Win7 x64 or Win10

1 Like

It looks like a Unity issue - see this forum post and Issue Tracker ticket. When I checked Player.log for any errors I got:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading E:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Phoenix Point/PhoenixPointWin64_Data/StreamingAssets/StreamableCopiedAssets/Videos/GameIntro.mp4

And same as @rasvoja, I could play the video files without any issue in VLC.

Would be great if someone from the CC could bring it up with Snapshot devs. There are dozens of topics about it on Reddit and elsewhere so a fix will make a lot of people happy.

1 Like

Oh yes, should I wait for 2022 for videos to work under Win7 x64 or therre will be bugfix sooner?

they know the issue. But it is far on the “to do” list as it is not game breaking or even not in the bag of exploits.

1 Like

Enable autoskip, yes it is game breaker, since if you dont know to press ESC you cant access game content.

If its Unity help fixing it instead being passive or switch to older reliable etc.

1 Like

I’m also puzzled why it’s far on the to do list - it’s a pretty common reason for refunding the game so in a purely financial sense it’s more important than fixing some random exploit or bug that most people will shrug off.

1 Like

I have this bug now. I was really looking forward to immersing myself into the game, and without cutscenes, it’s kinda blah.

Is this bug common to everyone? Or do cutscenes work for some people? If they do, maybe people can tell us a bit more about their setup so we might isolate the issue. Though that’s probably too difficult.

1 Like

This is a long standing issue with the Unity Engine that mostly affects Windows 7. And they don’t seem to be getting anywhere close to fixing it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/getting-windowsvideomedia-error-0xc00d36b4-on-some-devices.1046260/

What’s the solution? I have win10

1 Like

Notebook (Dell G5) with Windows 10, 1650ti, 8GB RAM, game on SSD, anything with newest updates and no problems with cutscenes so far.

Yeah, probably, this issue is weird and it not only affects PP, some other games are also involved that uses the Unity game engine. So I assume it is more a Unity problem rather than something SG can solve.

Still cant see new cinematics (Benemoth)

The only thing I can recommend for Windows 7 users is to update. This version is simply out of date, is no longer supported by MS and therefore does not receive the latest updates, which could possibly help solve this Unity cinematic asset problem for some.

I know it happens on Windows 10 as well, but apparently not that common, so it would at least be worth a try.

1 Like

Happening to me on Windows 10 now. Never used to be an issue but this Festering Skies patch has decided to include me.

1 Like