The new skillpoint system in leviathan patch

Yeah I think that’s the trick. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

1 Like

I would still base it on XP, but put some limit that soldiers can’t level up just in base. And definitely there should fit 4 soldiers

1 Like

IMHO best would be that there are two completely different skill sets, one for training, one for combat experience. So in TCs you can get all the skills you get by training and none of skills meant to be obtained via combat.

1TC - 4 soldier can be avoided by entering 1 soldier cap - 500XP/day (example)

That would lead to situation where you NEED TO put soldier in training center to obtain skills from skills tree related to TC. I would not do anything like that.

Well. Maybe I’m not consistent here with my vision of the game, as I would give option in training centers to allow players to select perks which soldier has unlocked at certain point from larger pool of available perks. When I look at it it is some kind of skill tree. It consists of perks which are not dependent on level or on each other so it is not a tree, but still we select some of them. Nevertheless we can still select them by leveling soldiers, with this exception that without training centers we won’t be able to select those what we prefer over others.

But why to avoid training 4 soldiers at once? :slight_smile: One soldier at once would be too low value, when we want to train substantial amount of forces - which should be available to replace dying soldiers.

More precisely, it is necessary to limit not only the soldiers (max cap on day), but also the TC.
For example: efficiency TC = 2000XP/day, soldier = 500XP/day
2000 = 4x500 or 5x400 or 10 soldiers at 200XP/day.
Train more soldier, but with less effect, without any strict restrictions and attention.

Yes, that is the idea. For instance perks connected to strength and agility to be obtained in TCs and perks related to will and experience to be obtained trough combat. I know that this is radical idea for X-Com type game but IMO it would be good. Ofc this is general idea which could be refined. For instance it could be some middle way here, to have perks obtainable in both ways and perks obtainable only in TCs or only in combat.

Something like

With the new system, the research tied to upping training/experience are only available so late in the game they are worthless. Prior to the TF change, they were hardly of use so late in the game. With the changes, these research items should appear much early on…

Very similar to that.

I had very similar idea about this topic but I didn’t write it here due to lack of time to discuss and defend my ideas, and I didn’t want just to spill it out and leave it. Something like this:

TCs should work like in Miskatonic but:

• For 20 killed enemies - perk +10% damage to everything
  • For 10 killed arthrons - perk + 20% damage to artrons (same to other enemies)
  • For 30 killed arthrons - perk + 30% damage to artrons (same to other enemies, without stacking with previous one)
  • For 50x used quick aim - perk +10% aim
  • For survived mind control 5x - perk +50% resistance to mind control
  • For 10 mind controlled enemies - perk +5 WP to use for mind controll
  • For 20x RB uses - perk aim penalty drops from 50% to 30%
    etc.

In your “personal mod” does using WP/skill spend stamina?(overwork)

IMO specifically in this example: Left side x5, and Right side /10

Save Scumming is not going to be minimized I think. Some people just don’t want to lose soldiers. I don’t mind if I lose the right ones. For example I’ve gone deep into one playthrough with one soldier that was the sole survivor of a hard mission, not only surviving but winning that mission. I saved scummed whenever she got killed.

And comparing this game with Xcom 2, where soldiers could dodge melee attacks, get knocked out, could get carried away if knocked out and so on, well it’s a bad comparison. In this game there’s only dying and nothing else.

I would have loved to see a system like they had in Kenshi, if you played that one, for the latest DLC. Namely being able to carry wounded away from battle which should have been a default feature, but also have them be maimed, when their limbs get shot off and using cybernetic limbs to fix them and send them back to fight the mutos.

1 Like

Sounds interesting but will definitely result in even more save scumming.
The more complex the system becomes, and the more expensive the investment into a single soldier becomes, and the more powerful each soldier becomes, the more people will eventually reload to not lose that soldier.

Not. I think it would tire soldiers too fast if it will work alongside with “-1 stamina per turn”. So only one of those options would need to stay. Current solution is sufficient for me.

Yea I do understand that some people don’t want to lose soldiers, what I suggest above is prolong of soldier lives that give player chance to keep their beloved soldiers, which help preventing too much of saving and less use of XP/SP pool to replace dead soldiers. I don’t suggest to eliminate save feature but sharing some idea for the subject matter.

Based on your example case, you don’t have too much saving and have had more chance not to be lonewolf to survive - winning the mission including you have more benefit of XP/SP pool system too use for other soldiers.

For (20x5) killed enemies - perk +(10/10)% damage to everything
This is the way, more about personalization than about saving Superman. I would call these marks the “Veteran Medal” (next 250 ~ 2.5%).

This idea in general will make a gap between fresh soldier and experienced one even wider, and loss of such soldier even more painful. As the DDA and time progression start spawning more armored bullet sponges it will make recruits to lag behind badly.

I don’t mind if perks will be more like campaign-wide challenges rewards, but small ones like “Kill 250 Arthrons: bullets has 5% chance to pierce armor” or something. Soldier personalization with additional bonuses isn’t something I would go for, personaly.

1 Like

It depends on how you balance and what goal to pursue, for example, attach it to a skill level (used RB - rest longer than “-3 stamina”) in order to increase rotation.

Do not take my posts too close, my goal is the Legend difficulty level.
But if it is flavored with bonuses, it will probably go to most.