The new skillpoint system in leviathan patch

This and fatigue could be used to great effect as a means to provoke squad rotation - worth suggesting on canny.

1 Like

I mean, I canā€™t. Since late early game there are no more low level missions. DDA scales globaly, so recruits will face threat theyā€™re not supposed to handle. :slight_smile: I would go with Local HQ to handle maximum of soldier mission cap, and occasionally spawn a mission just for them with downscaled difficulty to be doable by the recruits in Local HQ. :slight_smile: Ambush, Scavenging, Settlement defense (virtual, not Haven defense so lose doesnā€™t do anything apart from casulties suffered by your recruits), maybe even Nest like experience to clear caverns located near base and so on. :slight_smile:

It would give also the feeling that not every threat is crucial or lethal, and there are still some skirmishes around that have to be handled by someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see what you mean. Ideally this situation wonā€™t occur as if you keep rotating soldiers then you will have plenty of mid/high levels. But I see how that might happen if you have couple of bad missions and lose full teams.

Thatā€™s a good idea! Reminds me of how in Xenonauts you always have a range of different downed UFOs so you can send less experienced teams to handle smaller threats.

Unfortunately it wonā€™t work on itā€™s own. As you will have to make a choice between more (or new) equipment or hiring recruits. Which means that early game will be all about spending resources on new recruits but then where do you stop? How many recruits is enough? When should you start relocating resources to production? If you donā€™t have enough recruits then it can catch up with you in 4-8 hours into campaign when you are not able to do important missions.
You need some of other changes in order for this to work. Like free recruits are not completely free - you still need food to support them but that is something that you solve in stages. On top of that, free recruits will mash well with early game as their amount depends on the heavens with which you made contact so it rewards exploration more. Building relationship with factions or non-alligned heavens helps too.
Another aspect is that free recruits can give you a taste of other faction classes before you go into a war with one of them.

Yeah, that is true. I like the idea too that troops would come with loyalty to their previous factions, so at the point where you do go to with war with any of them, youā€™re risking potential desertionsā€¦ or worse.

3 Likes

Imho Iā€™m more into any down soldier have a chance to be revive/stabilized in the battle. Imho this ā€˜reviveā€™ system could tackle save scumming, could help to minimize using an XP/SP pool (and maybe we donā€™t need those pool at all) for all difficulty levels.

Other thing I would like to take a look is the DDA system for enemy spawn node should be read based from each character level and their last HP once entering the battle screen. For instance player squad are maxed out with 1 rookie character, so the enemy should be spawn some rookie type as well. I donā€™t have time to test and give some exact details for it, so yea lol :sweat_smile: it just based from playthrough experience and information around the forum.

*just my 2 pandorans, sorry for my English.

1 Like

TBH, I donā€™t want to faff around with pointless low-level missions just to get my new recruits trained up.
I thought the TC idea was a clever way of getting your new recruits up to a level where they could compete with the big boys without having to go through all that rigmarole - it was just unbalanced is all.

Itā€™s too early to say whether the new 20+10 point system is set at the right level, but itā€™s a step in the right direction.

Bottom line: I have no objection to PP implementing low-level missions as long as we donā€™t have to do them just to get our rookies up to scratch. If other people like grinding through what I see as pointless missions to get their newbies trained up, knock yerself out - just donā€™t force me to use my precious gaming time on pointless missions when Iā€™d rather be progressing the story.

3 Likes

I can appreciate the sentiment TBH - Itā€™s pretty much how I was feeling about being forced to use a training centre / needing all soldiers to be high level in order to stand a chance against the DDA.

Hopefully for us all.

the training facilities job is to allow for replacing experienced troops in the mid to late game, experience in this particular case is not so much a function of their XP but a function of their SP, as the SP is used to buy the stats and skills that have actual tactical influence. the change from 50 to 20 SP per level up nerfed training centers function from 300SP to 120SPā€¦essentially capping a recruits SP gain to 40% of the previous number

games last 3-6 months, with some players gaining acces to endgame missions by the end of marchā€¦this is roughly 90 days of time. if you do a mission per day with the A team they will have 900 SP total from that alone. (in effect they would be maxed out, having acces to 15 or so skills) if any of these units would die they would be replaced by a trooper with 6X20=120 SP, enough to get the first 2-3 skills from their class list along with some stat increases. it would simply take too long (at least 30 days of a mission per dayā€¦) to get the unit to a workable multi-class level SPā€™s to compete with the lost soldier.

I agree you should not be able to draw maxed out soldiers directly from the training centers (though even the old system is a heck of a lot better then X-com2ā€™s ā€œjust buy max skill crew from the marketā€ as it required ā€œtime to cookā€ and couldnā€™t be done on the fly to replace losses), but a 60% penalty is a tad extremeā€¦personally I would move the base 20SP up to a more workable 30-35. this will still make ā€œgym vetsā€ less effective then the field experienced troops, but it would reduce the practical gap considerably.

note that, even with the full 50, field trained veterans would still be superior as they get the +10 SP per mission even when maxed outā€¦so at the same level they will always be ahead. the problem here is that at a certain point there is no use for the extra skill-points. this is a practical ceilingā€¦as such I feel its unwise to revert to the full 50.

I copypaste my idea from another thread, it should fit better here:

To complete it, I like the basic idea with the low SP per level and getting something for each mission. But I also have my problems with properly integrating the recruits that are lagging behind.

what many forget, is the fact that with new system, you can unlock all skills via training facility, then spend points for those few effective skills, and get a soldier that can survive even late game relatively fineā€¦ then he will just gain more and more skill points, increasing stats and occasionally take additional perksā€¦

personally, i like this new system a lot moreā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t think forgetting anything is the case here. More like, for some (me included) this isnā€™t the most interesting thing to do. Itā€™s not different to recruiting high level soldier but delayed in time.

Matter of taste. :slight_smile:

Not sure how that is suppose to be like you describe. Letā€™s say that 6 soldiers in reserve where sitting till they reached level 7, so they will have 70 skill points which is enough for what? Even raising stats with this is going to be tough. If I send these ā€œexpertsā€ into a regular mission after my A team got wiped, I donā€™t think most of them are going to survive.

1 Like

If you have a soldier with all skills unlocked, you can take certain skills that define the classā€¦ for example for Assaults, its dash and rapid clearance, or for heavy its rage burstā€¦ etcā€¦ Such soldiers, despite having low stats, are a lot more useful, than ordinary level 1 soldier would beā€¦ plus, you still have a pool of shared skill points you can use to bump these soldiers upā€¦

3 Likes

Agree with that, but they are still not comparable to those which are lost. I have no idea if DDA will scale down enough after A team gets wiped. On top of that, letā€™s say you typically use 3-4 abilities on a soldier, so you have your ā€œtacticsā€ build around it. Now you need to play differently the whole team, not just one guy.

Letā€™s put it this way. The patch removed silly exploit, but it didnā€™t solve the larger issue which was somewhat remedied by that exploit.

i dont think it would be a good design, if you would be ā€œdiscountedā€ for losing soldiersā€¦ Whole point of these games is to build up pool of soldiers, and personally, one of weaknesses of this game is ability to finish the game with single squadā€¦

I would rather see wounds to be a bit more impactful, healing process slower, wounds actually meaning something (even permanently reducing stats) etc etcā€¦

Maybe its because of that real-time strategy layer, which kinda prevents/complicates proper planningā€¦

2 Likes

Wait, what? It is enough to take all skills from one class. Maybe you wonā€™t upgrade stats, but you will have all what is needed to kill any kind of enemy.

1 Like

I like the new system. Maxing out soldier levels doesnā€™t feel finite anymore and having lots of soldiers distributed across different parts of the globe is quite rewarding :slight_smile:

Anyone knows if training facilities still give 1 shared phoenix skill point per day ?

2 Likes

Current system with Training Center (TC) is realy bad. How I see good system:

1. Each TC has capacity for ONE soldier. You can sent isoldier there like sent to aircraft.
  2. Each TC grant to soldier in it ONE SP per hour, NOT EXP. So, you soldier stay lvl 1, but can max his str/will/speed after long training. To gain top perks you need to experience in battles.
  3. New Jeriho tech increase capacity of TC by one OR soldier in TC gain additionaly ONE EXP point per hour.

Such system will grant strong enough soldier after long play, but in small amount.

1 Like