So what do you think about Phoenix Point being Epic?

Mate, I’ve been living with exclusivity all my gaming life.

I’ve never played Halo, I’ve been playing an ancient version of Madden for the last 11 years, I held out against Steam for as long as I could but the logic of the market beat me and all the other old guard holdouts down - to the extent that as this forum demonstrates, there is now an entire generation of users who don’t even see Steam as the Evil Empire any more.

You may not like it, but exclusivity is the only leverage a new(ish) company like Epic has, in tandem with sweetner cuts to devs to tempt them away from Steam - and as I keep on saying, it’s not like you have to invest in a whole new X-Box or Playstation to be able to play the game.

My only concern with Epic is its cybersecurity, and having read the CheckPoint reports, I don’t think I need to worry about that - though I’m going to consult a CyberGeek friend of mine before I fully commit to it.

I’m too old and tired to fight it any more.

I honestly don’t care what platform PP is on, as long as I get to play it. I wish Snapshot well. If they think this is the best way that they can secure their future, then good luck to them. Their compensation offers have been a hell of a lot fairer that EA’s or Ubisoft’s when they screwed their player base over - and by the look of their published subscription records, Metro: Exodus and Division 2 have actually benefitted from switching to Epic rather than tanked.

So make your gestures, withdraw your support, register your frustration. It won’t do any good - and if this is as good a game as I hope and think it’s gonna be, Snapshot will go from strength to strength on the back of it, you will get your Steam keys and join the party late, and Gaming will still exist and this will all be a distant memory in a couple of years’ time - albeit with another arsehole company forcing me to run the game I’ve bought through their server because too many people in the Nineties and Noughties pirated games and forced the devs to seek the protection of Valve.

3 Likes

Yes. Total as hell. :slight_smile: It is shocking and unforgettable. Even wife cheating on someone wouldn’t move that someone more than Snaphot moved their backers. I think that UN representative should intervene here and US should send their jets to assist freedom… of choice of game launcher.

3 Likes

Google doesn’t have monopoly too, but they so far ahead in things they involved in, that nobody is able to catch them. Having another platform is always better, at this point Epic needs to be agressive because it is the only way to compete with Steam. 30% vs 12% is a big difference for some developers.
Plus if those bastards at Valve are going to feel some money shortage there is a chance they will try to compensate by finally making the next Half-life.

1 Like

And let’s not forget the current state of PC gaming, which is horrible - we might not even see games like RDR2 on PC, because some big players don’t even consider PC as a worthy gaming platform. And Steam is directly responsible for this, they don’t have competition, which makes them the only publishing choice for some developers, which kills competiton among developers and results in overall industry stagnation.

1 Like

I suspect if STEAM was the reason rdr2 isn’t going to be on PC, then Rockstar wouldn’t have been releasing most of their other games on it. Rockstar has reasons, but steam ain’t it, in my opinion.

1 Like

I haven’t said anything about Rockstar and Steam relationship. I am talking about the industry stagnation - PC gaming is nowhere near consoles and that is why Rockstar doesn’t make games for PC. Steam being the only option for PC developers is part of a problem.

Feel betrayed. Disgusting greed on-top of not thinking about the people who FUNDED the damn thing. There’s a special place in hell.

1 Like

It’s certainly put things into perspective for me; at the start of the week I was worrying about things like climate change, Brexit, and Trump’s insane wall project… but it all pales into insignificance really when you compare it to a small game development company trying to obtain extra funding in order to produce the game it wants to whilst at the same time providing job security for its employees through the heinous act of asking players to switch to a different game launcher, wait a year, or be provided with a refund.

If there was ever a missing 11th commandment it would no doubt have been ‘Thou shall not offer free DLC as compensation for small inconveniences’

6 Likes

In the heat of previous discussion I’m not sure if it is irony or not. :smiley:

You have made my day. lol :wink:

It makes me glad I did not push the Buy Now button a couple weeks ago. I will not be buying or playing this now.

Steam and GoG have never required exclusivity, this is the issue.

2 Likes

Funny how some people still see it as JUST a launcher. They really need to catch up before speaking up.

2 Likes

You talk about scanning contacts in Steam? Lol so what? You have facebook account? So you understand.

You talk about e-mails handed to other entities? Well I have good spam filters.

You talk about exclusivity deal? Fuck it. I already bought the game without Epic being involved and I will use Epic Launcher just to check if there is any update - otherwise it will be offline.

You talk about some representative of Epic saying that players are “something something”? Well how about me saying that majority of people is stupid? If you like you can hate me, but that is the fact. Maybe he also had some base to say something like that and he didn’t give a fuck about political correctness. Still it doesn’t prevent me from playing that fucking awesome game which will be Phoenix Point. Even if I would hate Gollop and all Snapshot Games, if they will make game, for which I have been waiting last decade or two, then I will fuckin’ play it.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” – Upton Sinclair

1 Like

The root of the entire argument.

2 Likes

If you like quotes then I suppose that you have heard of this
“If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself” - Adolf Hitler

1 Like

Uh pc games have not stagnated at all fyi. Literally tens of thousands more of them to offer.

1 Like

trying to Goodwin the thread because you realize your argument isn’t doing anything for you?

1 Like

I don’t try anything except showing my point of view… well except replaying to Gulskjegg, who irritated me and accused of something lying about me. :wink:

He quite literally does not know how to do anything else.

Received confirmation of my refund which seems to have gone smoothly. A good thing for Snapshot as I think there would have been hell to play if there had been difficulty’s.
I am pretty p*****d off with Julian and snapshot atm, but I might think about picking PP up later in a steam or GoG sale, I’m definitely not going to pay full price after this.

As you can see the Epic store augment is already causing rifts in the gaming community were we should be standing together. What the EGS is doing is wrong, very wrong. This will become clearer to those still unsure as time goes by.

So it’s time to say goodbye to this community who generally have been a very good and helpful community. Snapshot don’t deserve you, your money, nor your loyalty. o/

3 Likes