Would you recommend buying the game now post patches?

I meant buy it again on Epic

Thanks guys. Utterly disappointed, was looking forward to hearing things had been fixed or least going in the right direction. Maybe if they go back to the people who originally helped fund this and say “listen we are in this situation, we have spent our money unwisely, forgot about testing and are in need of beta testers” there is hope for a future for the game by its steam release.

But having received not one fully positive response I’ll wait.

However, let’s be frank… Completely different genre but Cyberpunk 2077 will be out by then so…

To be fair, I did say it is a great game for hardcore X-Com fans :smiley:

It fundamentally does a lot of things right. You can have a great time with it. The balance does get better, with less I-win buttons. Psionic nerf was simple but effective without destroying the class, though this happened long before the DLC. I appreciate the acid rework, as it was pretty useless before. Virus buff seems alright - overall they do try their best to balance things and hit the mark more often than they miss it.

Wait until Steam release, perhaps then all DLC will be available, and make your decision.

Backed Phoenix Point and never regreted it, but in a way I had more fun with Backer Build 1 than the final release. And afterwards I discovered War Of The Chosen, which had many feature PP failed to deliver: a trauma system, really cool factions, a living breathing world, awesome customization. Even if X2 has a much larger budget, PP has the potential and the ideas to be a better game; it’s just not there yet.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is going in the right direction, but I also think it’s a way off getting there.

1 Like

After the latest patch and DLC, so much has been improved from my perspective. Although Lairs are still broken beyond belief. They are not worth playing, and you should wait until they turn into citadels to beat them. But otherwise, the game has turned into a reasonably-fun and beatable game on non-insane difficulties.

No, wait 'til it’s done. I mean really done with all DLCs and fixes and development ended in a year or so. After that, probably.
Then again, you know better how much time you can afford to burn or how hungry are you for this kind of game.

Wel, War Of The Chosen is absolutely incredible. Hard to match that.

It is, so imagine how high I put Phoenix Point’s potential to say it can surpass WotC’s. I really hope Snapshot can do justice to their own work, or else it will be up to X-Com 3 to pick the best of both worlds.

Ballistics from Firaxis? 2017 + 5 = August 2022

Yeah, something like Snapshot’s ideas with Firaxis’s money.

Definitely wait, potentially Snapshot will have most of the DLC released by the time the 1 year Steam exclusion deal ends and at that point the game should be relatively more up to together with DLC and larger updates patching up the relatively bare bones “It’ll do for now” state some aspects of the game released at.

Also at that point with the release on Steam and needing to drum up attention for what is by that point year old news you may even find the game is on limited duration sale for the game and all released DLC (Which will probably be all of them by that point)… so by waiting you’ll eventually end up with the game as it was meant to be but currently is not, and likely at a cheaper price over the pricey £60 price tag Snapshot are hoping people to throw down blind for an entire experience that may eventually be delivered (Or not).

Edit: Almost forgot, due to the way Snapshot have the game handle DLC, everytime they release a new one you’ll have to restart a new game to enable the DLC for that new start as you can’t just have new DLC inject into a current campaign.

So if you have a limited time to play the game a week/month, by the time you ever get close to finishing a campaign you’ll probably need to restart if you wanted to have the new content included in your game. So it’ll probably take a long time before you ever actually see a campaign to conclusion anyway, so another reason to just wait for everything to be released and then go through the game.

1 Like

I am near the end of a campaign started with the Danforth update. I have to say; I was apprehensive the whole game waiting to the difficulty of my ‘rookie’ game to suddenly spike to ‘impossible’. It hasn’t happened yet, but there is still time for it.

As it has been so far I would be willing to recommend it.

That’s not to say that there are not problems. Here are my personal peeves/observations;

1. No guidance on grenade/rocket trajectory. Sometimes they go where you expect, often they don’t - with no indication why. Trees and walls also appear to be rocket and grenade magnets.

2. At times my computer chokes and runs slowly. Even worse; during these periods my game would automatically ‘click’ my mouse in random ways.

3. I would like to be able to zoom out to see the entire map.

4. Sometimes dark parts fail to reveal.

5. I occasionally ‘lose’ a movement tile when my unit is stopped for seeing an enemy. It happened while I was rushing to heal a unit once and stopped me from reaching him in time.

6. Spontaneous map rotations in game save.

7. Unclear objectives that hinder research progress. I had to google to figure out why I couldn’t research Psychic abilities after I captured a Siren. Which is even more weird considering some of my own troops HAVE psychic abilities! I also had all research come to a halt while waiting for a citadel to appear. And waiting…

8. I discovered it was more economical to leave pandoran colonies so I could be rewarded for saving havens that get raided. Pretty twisted. Maybe the reward for clearing pandoran bases should be increased five-fold.

9. Weapon balance is still wonkly. For all the risk of closing for hand-to-hand combat the reward is nil. Also, the types of damage are confusing;I was a bit surprised to learn that stun and paralyze are different. Aim penalties for heavy weapons are too great, especially considering the slowness of the trooper. Fix one or the other. Or both.

10. Armor also is unbalanced. Some penalties are just too much.

11. Resource management is very messy. It is cumbersome and clumsy trying to sort through inventory. I cannot filter to just look at shotguns - making it far too complicated to compare items.

12). Same for personnel management. I cannot sort my troops by specialty. Trying to figure out which troop is trained in what or equipped how is far too cumbersome.

1. I still believe that resources are too scarce in the early game. I found tips on Google, but on the rookie setting I really shouldn’t need to Google how to play?

2. Please update the alien sounds. Many are laughable.
    It might be fun if the sound files were accessible so players could modify/add their own. I did that in Baulder’s Gate and it really added to the fun. My 12 yr old son loved when one of my units said in his voice “Time to open a can of whoopass!” and the enemy war cry was the sound of a fart.

3. A bit more guidance on the research tree. Maybe tweak it so that it makes more sense. Grenade launches and shotguns maybe should not be research items - or not in their present form. Of course researched weapons should be better than starting weapons.

4. Please allow me to interrupt pandoran turns. I sometimes screw up and need to restart - having to watch a dozen aliens parade is no fun. While you’re at it; please speed up pandoran actions. I don’t like that I often watch them sit and ponder their next move. Plus the map is so closely focused on them that often I have no idea where their shots went or even hit. A dull point in the game for sure. Seriously - it is often faster to just quit the game and reload than it is to wait for the goddam pandorans to get their $%! together. Think about that - rebooting the game is faster than the pandoran turns - late game and especially in Synedrion havens. Ridiculous

5. Can our troopers please get some aim training? Seriously - I would love if my level 7 heavy trooper maybe learned a thing or two after using the same weapon on fifty missions.

These are all fixable and probably will be, but the game is presently playable and fun - so far. I will let you know if any difficulty spikes ruin it before I finish my rookie campaign.

Just a note on 1:
Some thrown items, particularly the Grenade Launcher, actually have scatter. It means the arc you see isn’t exactly the arc you throw in, effectively letting you “miss” throws. It’s not a big deal most of the time but if you’re doing a precise throw through high gaps, it means it can impact something mid-flight.

Thrown grenades are actually 100% accurate as opposed to explosive weapons like grenade launcher and rockets.

… and there is nothing to indicate this; no % miss, or % obstructed. The map doesn’t even give a Good image of potential obstacles. No, the launcher mechanic has nothing except the stench of failure at random intervals.

holding middle-mouse button isn’t enough?

It shouldn’t be the case anymore, despite they don’t mention it in patch notes.

If you don’t pay attention to human population then yes, but with recent patch it was changed.

that would lead to more unbalanced game.

Some other quirks I forgot to mention:

1. Just plain stupid building floor plans - a 3 story building with no stairway? Really? Happens all the time in Snyedrion. They must be monkey-people.

2. Poor tech descriptions. I just researched moon mission - ummm - now what? Had to Google to figure it out.

3. A way to broker peace with factions might be good. The fact that once they go to war they never stop is sorta stupid. Also the fact that they only demolish settlements instead of raid, occupy, or assimilate. Nor do they attempt to intercept or trap the raiding force of their opponents.

4. Factions should not be treating Phoenix Point like another faction but instead like a mercenary force. I’d suggest a slight change to the economics where the faction gives PP a weekly allowance based on their opinion of the program. The allowance is proportional to the population of the faction, and each visit to a haven makes an increase to the relationship; larger for a first visit then a smaller amount for later visits.

5. Speaking of population - is there any way to nurture a haven? I don’t know because the description is sorely lacking. I try bringing food but the result is uncertain. The development of a haven is also unclear. When can I expect them to build any of their useful buildings? Hell if I know… I guess it is back to Google to learn how to play your game…

Thanks for responding. I actually fired it up yesterday to see it after the new patch.

What I noticed was.

1. The Syndrian performance bug has gone and it now runs like butter on a midrange graphics card with a good SSD, like it should but didn’t before.

2.A lot of things have changed. There is no more scanning and there is a '1" next to my base. Presumably because I have 1 base?

3.The gameplay seemed a bit better from the four or 5 missions that I played. More balanced. The skills seem a bit better before, less OP and I think and the skill points I received seemed slower, this for me is a good thing.

1. I love the lore and story so far.

2. I love the realistic bullet system. It’s great when I have no line of sight with a heavy so I point through the wall where the enemy lurks and blow up the wall and get a hit :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: brilliant system.

But…

6.The UI is still atrocious and it’s seems unbelievable that a strategy game that had literally millions of €`s spent on it and many people working on it came up with it. I think if I had the time and patience I could probably make a better one in a couple of weeks. It reminds me of a 90’s game. That is not a compliment.

1. I hate the “uh hu hu” sound at the end of the mission it just sounds stupid.

2. First bug. When you go to the lore section you can’t scroll to read some of the text. That should be fixed quite easily.

So… So far massively improved… Yet no improvement to UI and I’m not a great fan of the sound, except the voice work from the factions which is done well…

I think I have to put another 20 or 30 hours and/or finish a campaign before I come to a judgement.

It’s improved, undoubtedly but the… Ui

Thanks for the comments.

What ? Care to elaborate ? Is it just not your “style” or missing functionality ? The latter I can agree with, but they keep improving it. The former is your personal problem.

?

They did improve the UI as they do in pretty much every update.