What's the Point of a Company Forum if

If what you say is true and that the game was released unfinished, so that paying customers QA it for them, then Snapshot will be no more.

You are only as good as your last game in the gaming industry, and yes maybe Phoenix Point will become gain a sort of niche cult following among mods.

I’ve been very fair on this game, it was hugely ambitious (too much so) and in many respects it takes X-Com and raises it to the next level, but you cannot do that at the cost of quality and cheating your customers. I’ve made mention that the glitched achievements are putting off a large community of completionists which is met with derision and contempt on the reddit forums, when it is simple fact.

This is a great game in the making. But you cannot expect paying customers to QA test your game. Simple as.

Or rather, you can, but you should be open about the fact that that is what you’re offering to them.

1 Like

Yes I agree.

No matter the good or bad reasons or whatever happen to the team, with 3 patchs released and 2 of them requirring hotfix (both hotfix related to saved games), it is quite obvious there is a QA issue for Snapshot and this lack of ‘quality’ in release does not help players to stick with the game.
I think it is a problem because the game has a lot of potential but it does not shine through the cloud of bugs
I planned to play PX on saturday and sunday and i cant of course that is not the end of the world but it keeps me away from the game and the more i am kept away the less i may come back

4 Likes

I suppose they have some problem with methodology of making quality assurance checks. Or the code is really complicated and it is hard to test all possible cases. Nevertheless remember they are still indie company with only few people to make QA. I think it will take at least 3 more months before the game will take right shape and will be free from most of the bugs.

1 Like

The equipments problems is nothing new, problems with ammo and problems with equipment. Stash management is clearly in same area, this part has probably some design problems.

It’s just one bug to fix asap, it’s more they couldn’t identify the problem causes, than they couldn’t code a fix. From my play experience the equipment problem was linked to scrap of items, no scrap no bug. If right it clues that this part of the game has design problems. UI is very tricky, I don’t know for games, but it tend be underevaluated, hence it’s hardly the most experienced or skilled that do those parts.

I’d say that’s life, nerf patch already hint to players that they could keep a backup of previous version of the game, next time learn from your experience.

I’m pretty sure there was no QA and little play testing until now that is. We are the play testers and the QA guy here is just the one coordinating the feedback. The F12 tool is their QA field tester.

I’m just surprised it got Microsoft certification. I kinda enjoyed the game and have no beef with the Devs. My beef is with the decision to release it untested with glitched achievements into the Xbox world. The game cannot be completed and sad as it sounds, for all the derision it attracts, in that community it’s gone down like a fart in a spacesuit.

If they’d released this at it’s full potential I’d have given it strategy game of the year.

3 Likes

I think there is QA testing that is why patch was delayed from thursday to friday but unfortunately the inventory being reset with saved game was not detected.
These kind of things happen, the problem is that it happend quite often (2 hotfix for 3 patchs) for Snapshot, so they have to re-think their development cycle or their QA and release process or both…
Lesson learnt for me i have deactivated the automatic update for the game in the EGS settings

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this is a backer development game, without a huge budget like Firaxis has. As a backer who has joined the development process from alpha onwards with other games, I am currently wary of these issues of not quite finished games. I honestly don’t have the time anymore to get involved and just wanted to enjoy the game. That said - I was slightly disappointed at the realisation that I have reluctantly become a play tester. I wasn’t happy! But on reflection, this is a very small indie development company who have produced something very special and unique.

I’m not sure what would have happened if it’s release was delayed any longer. The backers want their game. But when one considers the depth and detail, and future developmental ideas that we see while reading this forum, I honestly think that we all need some patience. From the non backers perspective - yes you probably have the right to moan. But from the perspective of making this all financially feasible, I suspect that this is our best option. This time next year I hope that all we will hear about PP is praise.

1 Like

Only now I’m playing X2: War Of The Chosen, and even if I’m loving it, it’s giving me new insights of PP’s awesomeness. WotC brings so many things to the table one would think it’s impossible to improve upon it, but that’s exactly what Phoenix Point tries to do. For a 99% hit chance, an aiming system. For so many enemies, many more enemies AND their limbs. For overwatch turtling, overwatch areas cones. For three factions to ally with, three factions to ally AND contende. For an action movie setting, a lovecraftian lore. For all the Chosen endless banter, silent enemies.

WotC is still the better game, but I’ll be damned if PP is not putting up quite a fight.

I agree with what you’re saying about the difference in expectation between backers and non-backers, and I’m more than happy to play test as a backer, it’s part of the enjoyment of backing a game. But that also slightly misses the point. If you officially release a product, then IMHO you need to be open about what state that product is in.

They are, but they were previously an even smaller indie development company that upon release of their first title, Chaos Reborn, were perfectly capable of communicating about the state of that title. I can’t speak for everyone obviously, but from what discussions I did have at that time I had the impression that backers were generally understanding of the hard financial choice that had had be made in releasing CR early, and also appreciative of the fact that Snapshot were being open about it.

They’ve then released a 2nd title, Phoenix Point, which is in a worse state than Chaos Reborn was on release, (though to be fair, also a bigger project), and it was accompanied by a wall of silence. UV has since then very kindly explained what he could, but it’s weird to say the least when even a community manager isn’t able to let a game’s community in on what is going on.

I’m not sure what it is that you want me to say. We’ve said we’re working on balance and we’re working on fixing bugs. At the same time, we’ve got another team working on DLC. We will have the roadmap up and running soon, populated from Canny.

I know there’s an expectation from some players to receive a minute by minute update of exactly what is being worked on, but it just doesn’t work like that. It isn’t practical.

4 Likes

Devs please make sure don’t force player to adapt another new gameplay while tweaking - adjust those balance. Dunwihc patch totally ruin my game progress which force me to start a new game, 3 days game progress wasted. Gooodddspeeeddd devs team .
Thanks in advance.

For me it would be 2 weeks of gameplay. Yeah no thanks.

:sweat_smile: lul that’s suck! anyways, turning off the auto-update from epic launcher may helps, just some precaution. If you still have the old save game, there’s a thread you can retrieve an old version before the Dunwich build (sorry I forgot which thread is). *I wish the dev can provide all previous version that player could pick from epic launcher.

I already put it to you:

You couldn’t/wouldn’t give an answer, I’m not sure which, but either way I accepted that, however at the same time from the point of view of a customer that lack of information is disconcerting, (This isn’t specific to PP - If I’d purchased any other product, and it arrived incomplete, I would, at the very least, want to know why that was the case.)

I’ve got no expectation of minute by minute updates. With regard to that question above, I waited well over a month following release before asking it, and I only asked them because the discussion was going back and forth across the forum, I thought it might help you stem the speculation which has happened within the community due to the lack of any official statement.

I would like to know two things about that if it is not a secret

1. how many developers (programmers) you have in your team?
  2. how many developers are allocated on fixing bugs and how many are allocated on DLC?

Uncomfortable silence on this topic

I suppose you won’t get info what is going on right now. :wink:

I like to try :wink: