So what do you think about Phoenix Point being Epic?

This is honestly some of the most disappointing gaming-related news I can recall ever receiving. I’ve been more excited about Phoenix Point than any other game in recent memory, but this news today is a death blow to that excitement.

The only response from me is to request a refund, and to express my disappointment to Julian and everyone else at Snapshot Games. This makes me regret that I ever supported the project, and honestly I even regret that I ever even heard of the project in the first place.

This is a complete and utter letdown, but I imagine everyone on the Phoenix Point team was already expecting this sort of reaction (and I’m sure some subset of those folks are equally disappointed). No amount of “free DLC” or other bogus offerings are going to make up for what a disastrous move this is to spring on the fans and supporters. I hope the pay off is worth it (and honestly, I’m sure it was).

Take care.

8 Likes

Free DLC for one year!? Ow yaaay… Meaning we will need to shell out more money after the first year if we dont want to be gated by content. It seems they didn’t really think this through. The carrot that’s dangling on a stick in front of us is already moldy and rotten.

I have to give them credit for offering refunds though :+1:

1 Like

How can I begrudge developers using a platform that is objectively fairer to them? Rather than hate on Epic, we should be putting pressure on Steam to improve their T&C’s.

I am old enough to remember the days of swapping floppies constantly, having more than one ‘launcher’ on my computer is not really an inconvenience.

5 Likes

So it looks like I will stay with the project. But I hope that after a year I would be able to use my key in GOG (or Steam) platform.

But yes. That exclusive thing is kind of disappointing.

1 Like

The reason why I still didn’t refund… waiting for the AMA, if I can get my gog-key without paying again… if not, I’ll prolly refun ~.~

3 Likes

I created a forum account specifically to express my absolute disgust with this decision. I backed this game from day one on account of the massive potential it expressed. It’s easily been one of my most anticipated upcoming games since the announcement. And here I am, with a completed refund form, very happy to never look back at this product. Supporting exclusivity is abhorrent to the gaming community, in my opinion, and the only way I can show this is by pulling my support and money. With over 600+ games on steam, I refuse to get yet another garbage platform that i need to juggle, especially one that divides the gaming community by bottlenecking people into it’s ecosystem. Call it spiteful, but I hope many, many more of the backers vote the same way. Hopefully the refunds outweigh the big bag of money epic waved under your noses.

5 Likes

So I looked at the FAQ… and it says that only preorders before 02/21/2019 will be included in the offer? Well, what do I have to lose then, I preordered on 02/23/2019 and this is the first I’ve heard about it.

I’m old enough to remember swapping cassette tapes and I know a bad and rotten thing when I see it. EGS is beyond bad for gamers and their hobby.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Absolutely catastrophic.

2 Likes

I’ve waited for Julian’s new XCOM game since X:A, and this Epic exclusivity news really ruined my hopes. But i will not be supporting Epic store and it’s bullcrap in any shape or form.
Will check AMA to see if they bend their decision for backers and provide Steam or GOG keys after all. If not - i guess i’ve waited for 20 years, i can wait for 1 more.

7 Likes

The reason i supported this game is because i try to stear clear of AAA, steam, epic and any other corporate entities. I’m actively trying to help out smaller indie devs fight the system. That’s how i found out about this game and why i bought in. Because they advertised gog keys.

5 Likes

No, I think hating on epic is just fine, and I too have swapped a few 5.25’s in my day.
Steam is certainly taking the lion’s share, but you get a platform that is polished and feature complete. Yes, they should lower their rates to be competitive, but that doesn’t make epic’s exclusivity campaign any less awful, and supporting that model of divisive business tactics is not healthy at all for the community.

Absolutely devastated at this decision. No way I will ever touch Epic Installer. This was THE GAME I was looking forward to in 2019… Now I have to request a refund… :frowning:

Exclusive to GOG or Steam I could handle, but not Epic…

5 Likes

Considering they didn’t ask our opinion first it’s obvious they don’t give two shits what we think. Their ambigious “free DLC” for a year crap shit is a slap to the face that leaves too much open to abuse. Yeah, we gave you that one recolored guns DLC! Oh, what? That major game changing expansion? No no, that’s an EXPANSION, not a DLC, you have to buy the season pass for that!

Eh, I’ll probably just ignore the game and buy it ‘complete’ on hella discount when it comes back to Steam or I’ll just pirate it; Epic Games store makes for some of the most easily cracked games ever yo.

6 Likes

I have to say i really don’t understand the Epic hate. But hey-ho if you want to miss out on a game because it take an extra click to load, then so be it.

4 Likes

I think they thought a couple of free DLC would do the trick, Ha!
They failed to gauge the majority, and the depth of hatred that is directed at Epic for their callus practices. That hatred, my dear Snapshot is intense.

3 Likes

As I’ve said on the discord, I refuse to use unEpic Store. That being said, I also don’t want a refund for two main reasons:
a) it could damage the company and by extension all the people that work there and need their salaries to pay their bills;
b) I KNOW that the will be awesome, it’s being created by the Dev behind X-COM!
What do expect from Snapshots is the following:
a) waiting another year for the game (it’s not nice, but it’s hardly unexpected when it comes to crowdfunding);
b) when the game is released on GOG I expect a GOG key.
What do not expect is to get free dlc’s. They weren’t part of the initial backing, so I don’t expect them.
I’m stating this here because I might be working tomorrow during the AMA at reddit, so I just wanted to make my opinion noted by the company.
Feel free to contact me via discord or pm to get my fig details so you don’t waste a unEpic key on me.

3 Likes

Me do not like.

I don’t know what kind of money EPIC is giving out to developers, but I hope it’s worth it.

Epic is a lackluster storefront, which has a lot of work before they can catch up to competition, and they are buying out their relevance, by snatching games, instead of improving (so far). That sucks, I like my gog. And considering the “free year of updates” it seems Snapshot realizes how disappointing it is.

I am already using it, thanks to Supergiant, and I won’t backing out. I welcome Epic’s competition, and I don’t blame any developer for going with Epic’s offer over the mess that is Steam these days. Too bad, that I will have to repurchase the game and released DLC if I will want to move to a more functuonal store a year after.

EDIT: In some ways this is the shadies move I have seen Epic do so far, as they try force a group of customers who already backed and supported a product unto their store.

2 Likes

It’s Metro Exodus debacle all over again. Announcing exclusivity deal without any prior warning and shoehorning all their customer to a single platform without their consent. At least Deep Silver honored Steam preorders that were made before the announcement.

5 Likes