Give Rapid Clearance diminishing returns

Well … I too would like abilities to be way less powerful. Honestly I would not mind no abilities at all that are not bound to your equipment. Things like dash should come from your exoskeleton for example.

Yea, I know, it’s too late now and people love them “skill trees”.

I think this was a very good write-up of how I feel about that stuff too

I don’t know, in any case I always quote the best :wink:

RC returns 2 AP killing a worm, unreal

2 Likes

I recall that someone at some point suggested that Rapid Clearance only give back the APs spent on the kill, up to a maximum of 2 APs (so if you bash a worm, you get 1 AP back, if you make a kill using Quick Aim and a pistol/PWD you get 0 APs, if you kill something spending 3APs, you still get back only 2 APs, to avoid the well-positioned assault/infiltrator sniperist), and that this would work provided that something was also done about Rally the Troops spamming.

I don’t remember who came up with this, but ever since I read it somewhere, it has been my preferred solution.

Does anyone hate it, or see anything objectionable about it, or any possible loopholes?

2 Likes

Only Sniper / Assault with some damage work from his team before he can kill and constantly using quick aim could chainkill from a good position. But IMO that needs a lot of teamwork to weaken the enemies and I personally don’t think that this will be a real ‘loophole’.

Looks ok, but may seem complicated comparing to @etermes solution.

The problem with giving back only 1 AP for each kill is that it’s the same as telling the player “don’t forget to use Quick Aim or Adrenaline Rush!”. (or find some other way to kill for 1AP or less).

It makes the use of Rapid Clearance outside of meta-builds impractical, so instead of having less meta-builds (which is what you want), you will have more of them :wink:

Quick Aim is broken if you extract AP from nowhere, the use should be, 2 AP allowing SR shot or 3 AP one SR shot + one HG shot, just that

Adrenaline Rush is a broken ability, if you can use 4 times Deceptor MG or Grenade Launcher or Dante FT, that ability should be limited to HG and Melee weapons

And Rally , one use per turn max. same as mounted weapons

1 Like

I would limit the use of Quick Aim to once per turn, and, as to Adrenaline Rush, forbid casting any skills that require WP on the same turn (so if you cast Rapid Clearance, you can’t cast Adrenaline Rush afterwards).

And I also think that Rally should be a status effect (so limited to once per turn).

But even if some of us can agree on some changes it doesn’t mean that it will please the larger player base…

On the other hand, if these changes, or the changes you suggest were implemented, then changes to Rapid Clearance would be largely unnecessary.

1 Like

Once again, I return to the underlying problem with all of these killer skills, RC being one of the most egregious.

If you don’t categorically close the loop, some player will eventually and inevitably come up with some way to get round the limitations and exploit it, post it on the Web, and then we’re back to Square One.

None of these solutions will work in the long-term unless the rewards for RC ultimately erode over time to Zero. Otherwise you are leaving the potential for a perpetual loop (aided by AR, Rally, QA etc) temptingly open.

In theory, yes, but in practice maintaining the loop requires generating a surplus of APs. If RC only refunds the APs spent on the kill, Quick Aim and Adrenaline Rush stop being an issue in that. And if Rally is made into a status effect skill, it ceases being a relevant source of APs as well.

Problem would be solved with limiting Quick Aim and Adrenaline Rush uses. No further changes to Rapid Clearance are needed.

If Rapid Clearance refunds only 1 AP for kill and changes are made to prevent 1AP kills from happening, then Rapid Clearance is absolutely useless.

Now I know that this is what you actually want, and that’s very respectable, but that’s not about preventing abuses with Rapid Clearance but doing away with it altogether…

1 Like

if you create proper conditions then this skill can be usefull. For me its property of giving time for the soldier is actually more powerful beyond other skills. So I’m really for nerfing it as much as possible. :wink: It may allow to regain 4 AP but for each kill only 1.

Assault_BB4
Assault_BB4

• 3 burst at one or more targets, cost 3AP/5WP (no reward WP per kill)

Assault Lvl7 = Dash + RC

1 Like

it was nice, but quite similar to Rage Burst

Surely, as it’s name suggests it is a quick aim. If you limit it’s usage, then you remove the point of it’s purpose being quick? What I believe needs to change is it accuracy. It shouldn’t be as accurate - it’s a Quick Aim!

2 Likes

I’ve always said that QA should have an accuracy penalty.

RC = +3AP+2AP+1AP, 6AP+basic 4AP = 10AP = 2,5 turn

Kill 1 would give back 2AP , Kill 2 = 1AP and Kill 3 = 0AP
RC = +2AP+1AP+0AP, 3AP+basic 4AP = 7AP = 1,75 turn

maybe cost 1AP/7WP (triple kill gives 6WP, 3AP+basic 3AP = 6AP = 1,5 turn)

2AP + 2AP + 2AP (if kill) +1AP for Dash

Not necessarily true. What QA allows a Sniper to do, for instance, is fire twice in a turn rather than once. For that, they get a minor accuracy penalty, which - yes - could be increased.

Multiclass - should skills Lvl4 (New class) and Lvl7 be mutually exclusive?

IMO, Second-class skills training should cost more.