Would the game balance better without dual classing?

I apologise for the offtopic, but I think the worst real imba in game, when I finished it a couple of months ago was the technician 7-level ability of granting +20 defence to all members of the squad. The main idea was the following:
I train technician to the 7 level on the base
I dont increase speed or health. Only willpoints to the maximum. If a soldier has +2wp additional ability - the best.
Now I have a tech with 22 wp.
I never move him or commit any actions except the following sequence:
cast +20 protection
cast +20 protection
restore willpoints.
+40 protection costs 12 willpoint, restoring willpoints will restore 11 willpoints.

As a result a have an almost immunity to any phisical weapon to all squad members by using one soldier as a totem and it will cost 1 wp per turn.
Does anyone know, is it already fixed or not?

1 Like

It’s a well known issue, but unfortunately it hasn’t been fixed yet :pensive:

It would certainly be a different game. It would be interesting to see it in action.

However, there are tons of different things that could be done within the current system to address the balance issues.

It may sound silly, but my solution to OP combinations and legal exploits is to simply not to use them. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. If the game is more challenging or more balanced or simply more fun when played one way over another, I simply choose that way. More so, my view of challenge, balance and fun will certainly not align with yours. Anyone whose played this genre more than once (XCOM and its progeny, LW2, Xenonauts, and now PP) already knows balance is near impossible objectively, must less to the whims of various users. Devs of all these games tweak and tweak again trying to find a sweet spot that appeals to most users. I have long recognized that issue in all games I play (also include the Civ and GalCiv series) and try to adapt (not always successfully, I admit) to an enjoyable fashion of play within the parameters of the current build. Feedback on obvious exploits and gross misbalance are, of course, valuable for the devs, but I find endless philosophical debates about how this game or this genre should have been developed pointless. TLDR: If dual classing is a problem for you, don’t do it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, like a fork in the skill tree.

This idea doesn’t work. Like many times said in short: playing with two hands tied in the back is not fun. In other words: Game should be balanced in every aspect to provide challenge on different game difficulties. It should not be up to the player to discover and use restrictions to have fun.

4 Likes

In other words, are you implying the devs should tie the player’s hands behind their back in order to balance the game and make it fair?

Dualclass looks like a fine mechanism to prvide diversity and options.
What i find the major problem is the willpower mechanism and being able to activate skills repeatedly.
If one turn is maybe 10 seconds of real time.
Apparently with enough willpower and no limit to activation of skills, your soldiers can bend time and space.
Yes then you can find synergies that are borderline crazy.
But to me, that is not the fault of dualclass diversity.
Stacking should be limited to preserve realism.

An athlete can put some extra effeort/willpower to go a little bit faster, but he cant triple his willpower for triple the speed.

I like the idea of level 7 not being available to dual class although this should also make the cost of dual-classing in terms of experience points much lower.

2 Likes

What I miss a lot at PP are “hard” decisions with far-reaching consequences. There is so much SP over the time of the game that it doesn’t matter which skills I choose in the “tree”, I get it sooner or later anyway all of them and then all soldiers look exactly the same, namely max everything. “Max Everything” is also a point that most of the RPGs try to avoid, decisions should have a “meaning” and be weighed and also not lead to clone soldiers (except general skills)!

4 Likes

Exactly, decisions: I want this soldier with better abilities and 3rd row skills, or a few selected abilities and max stats, that would be interesting

Edit: typo

1 Like

In the beginning SP system was good : you have limited SP and it was really hard decision to choose which skills or stats increase. But then devs try to improve there game and now we have such stupid system.
If devs remove the second class then game became more primitive. All they need is start to play there game and balance it better.

I like the idea to give SP for combat but the solution just overshoot the target, as so many things in PP.

You read my mind.

They must set normal rules.

The same way that the makers of chess tied the players’s hands beind their backs in order to make an interesting and timeless game, yes.

While I do have a couple dual class soldiers, they were mostly experimental early in the game. But since, I never multiclass. I use that 50 pts. and the other 50+ perk points for the second class to boost my stats. So my single class soldiers are faster, stronger and have more willpower than my dual class. For example, the single class sniper has no rage perk, but can use quick shot 3 or 4 more times than my dual sniper/heavy. It works similarly with other classes. My single class characters can outmaneuver, out-carry and out-willpower any of my duals which I use to my advantage. This is not a FPS, it is tactical squad. So, if people want to use multi-class exclusively, that’s fine too. But to say single class play is underpowered or somehow broken speaks more to how a player chooses to play since it clearly does work. If it is not fun to you, who am I to say, but it is fun to me. Finally, regarding your last sentence, it is an opinion you are welcome to have. I have a different opinion of course.

I posted a response that would apply here as well downthread.

Yes, that is a problem.You get to level 7, all perks, max or near max stats (they do get rather pricey toward the end), pretty early on. Reminiscent of Colonels in XCOM2 and WotC. That’s one thing I liked about LW2 - the “officers” and their group abilities. I think some of the balance issues are with the monsters. There really aren’t that many types and they don’t really require substantially different strategies. Mostly, just aim and shoot.