What is the current DLC roadmap?

Please don’t take this the wrong way… I understand that you don’t like being the one tying your own hands behind your back, but it’s okay if someone else does it for you. One way or the other, one’s hands are being tied.

1 Like

No, but they are now going to (hopefully seriously) … even if it took countless negative to angry comments on many different platforms, which they should have saved themselves

All games have rules. In soccer there offside, for example. Noone said that it’s tied hands. It’s rule to make game interesting.

1 Like

If we want to expand this methaphor: PP simply gives me too much POWER (please don’t confuse it with alternatives!) in my hands. I have max everything GOD-like glass cannons (my hands). And I don’t want to have the same thing on the other side (First turn strike me or the other). What I want is to exchange my God-like superpowers for human-like ones and then compete with an equal opponent with BOTH HANDS (free), who will extract the best ideas and the full potential from me.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s meaning is lost in translation. But to explain it more simply - they are being paid real money to create this game.

I don’t know, breaking mods every two weeks might annoy people.

1 Like

We have no way to compare how it would be …
But definitely there would be both + and -.
(Instead of Devs argue with Modders :hugs: )

This was part of the conversation, please read it again.

No, not at all.

The metaphor “I have to play with my hands tied behind my back” signifies I have to restrain myself when playing the game because the rules are so deficient that if I stay only within the constraints imposed by them I win without any fun or challenge.

If the rules are corrected so that that is no longer the case, I can play within the constraints imposed by the game rules without any additional restraints. Thus, not me, nor anyone else needs to tie my hands behind my back anymore.

6 Likes

I think professional those, who can make things good from the first time. Those, who after every patch release hot fix to clear bugs that last patch add - not even close to professional status.

Professionals in Indy, I think this is the exception and not the rule. And the main thing all the same is ambition for the project, or rather a lot of work and love.

Let’s be fair: the devs are very talented. Except for the broken balance, they brought in innovative ideas and are currently good at exploiting the potential with the updates.

We wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t.

5 Likes

Facepalm. I absolutely disagree, but let us close discussion about devs :wink:

They created a game that has a completely new and fairly innovative way of aiming in TBS.
They created an Action, morale & skill system based on Will that - while overpowered atmo - gives you all kinds of flexibility in how you play the game.
They created a world of multiple factions all vying with each other for your attention.
And they did all of this with fewer than 50 staff in about the same time that it took Firaxis to develop Enemy Unknown.

So no, they’re not talented in any way. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: They are failing to balance and polish this game instantly because they’re idiots - and the fact that they’ve created a massively complex Frankenstein’s Monster in the middle of a global pandemic with not enough personnel to do everything that we want them to do in the blink of an eye is all down to lack of professionalism and incompetence.

I think we’d do well to remember that it took Firaxis almost 12 months to get Enemy Unknown to a point where most players were satisfied with it - and another 10 years to get it into the smoothly polished state that it is now.

I’m not saying that the devs are perfect. They’ve dropped the ball or shot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions - and they’re only now starting to face up to the huge imbalances in the game.

But to call them unprofessional and untalented is an insult to all their dedication and hard work in my opinion.

12 Likes

I do understand how written ideas can be interpreted different than intended. In the above conversations there certainly some awkwardly worded English. So I apologise for being so blunt with my comments.

Having said that, if my memory serves me correctly; Firaxis didn’t support any modding directly with their first iteration of Xcom. It was after the success with Long War and other mods that Firaxis recognised the benefits and then actively encouraged modding with Xcom 2.

But as has already been mentioned repeatedly, Firaxis has huge resources relative to Snapshot. I was quite disappointed with the unfinished extent of the PP when it was released. But I think that I recognise their issues and certainly don’t blame them. Their game is so much more complex than others in the genre that I really believe their open approach to feedback from us gamers is very brave.

I doubt that they have enough play testers - so that’s where we all come in. But I really don’t think that it would be appropriate for them at this stage to divert resources to creating mod support. As much as the desire to help them is. I think they probably have enough to be working on currently with their Canny feedback tool and bugs.

6 Likes

Even if one is disappointed in state or direction Phoenix Point is in, I would implore not to use it to judge devs’s individual competence. None of us have insigh into development process and I doubt many (if any at all) know enough about game development to judge people’s competence.

Even if Phoenix Point was a complete and utter failure, it doesn’t mean that reflects individual’s devs competence. Sometimes ideas are to ambitious, or simply bad, and unfortunately with crowdfunded projects there is little space to manouver.

I think there isn’t much doubt that Coen brothers, Roger Deakins, Tom Hanks, J. K. Simmons are among the most talented and consistant filmmakers, and yet, their collaboration resulted in utterly awful “Ladykillers”.

2 Likes

To be honest, I have no desire to convince you. I am glad that you are satisfied with the current situation and the expected result.
This is not so for me, mainly regarding “skills and balancing.”
About Modding I wrote here

IMO, you (who liked the post) overestimate the meaning of the word Professional for game development. Professional is needed to create something specific. In game development, the end result is important - the Game. “Good Games” is created by completely different people(Indie developers), not professionals.

Not sure I’m understanding what is being said here. Is it that good games “only” come from indie developers?

In fact, it took them way more. We are so used now to the “like X-Com, but” tagline, that we can forget squad-based cover system 99% chance to hit failed didn’t come out of nowhere. But this fascinanting piece of article tells us way more:

1 Like

We’re not satisfied in any way, which is why I am constantly active on these forums and volunteered for a role on the Community Council.

But I recognise that this is a long and complex process that has been taken on by a company that is too small for the task it has set itself - and if I’m completely honest, probably has a different design ethos to the one I would have chosen.

However, I recognise that the devs are working hard to fix things in extremely difficult circumstances, and from what I’m reading on these forums, they are a lot more responsive to player feedback than many companies out there - probably too responsive in some cases (‘Acidgate’ anyone? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

This game isn’t going to get fixed by modders. It might get improved by modders (for a given value of ‘improved’), depending on what your particular tastes are. If it’s successful enough, it may even get its own Long War (now wouldn’t that be nice :heart_eyes:). But for that to happen, we need to work with the devs - and trust the devs - to provide a stable, balanced platform from which the modding community can launch.

As for ‘professional’, my definition of that is: ‘a skilled person who gets paid to use their talents to the best of their ability in the field that they have chosen, without argument or complaint, despite having several tons of sh!* thrown at them every day by people who don’t realise how hard it is to do what they get paid to do.’

2 Likes

The acid problem was definitely not influenced by players here, at least not directly. The main problem, as always, was alpha strike-oriented balance, so damage over time hardly plays a role. Nobody asked that the pandas with extreme acid damage do instant kill. But you yourself said it much better before. Just wanted to say.