Training Centers suggestion

Along one month it’s possible if you rushed build many training in one base, but not always, it probably come from amount of exploring done. Past first month or 1.5 month it’s irrelevant.

I don’t see the need to hardcode something that is already an option in the game.

You can set whatever level training cap you want as is and can even turn training off completely if you like. You can gain all xp from battle or mix an match in whatever combo you prefer. Everything beyond that regarding this way or that way being “the best” way is just opinion.

1 Like

But we play A GAME, not create real life simulator. In game you need to have rules, you need challenge. Game need to create it, not us. “Oh Training centers are too good, I will skip them. Oh sniper rifles are too good I will skip them. Having more than 3 soldiers is overpowered. I won’t recruit anyone. Oh! Having one dropship let you fight in various locations - don’t use it…” Quite extreme example. But players should not create their own rules withing a game.

Life it too complex and often you don’t have any challenge if you don’t choose to have one. :smiley:

2 Likes

Having recruits sit in training centers to level 7 is boring, but leveling is the only meaningful form of progression in PP.
Levels 3-4 will be useless in late game - there are no easy encounters to train them on, and power gap between level 7 and 3-4 is huge.

Training centers to level 7 are mechanical crutch, but one that is necessary with current design.

Imagine it’s a mod and it’s done, you put a problem where there’s none but in your imagination. If you want compete with other players, it’s more a multiplayer game.

Second point, how boredom is difficulty? There’s no difficulty in such extended duration through a ton more grinding, it’s no higher challenge, just longer.

EDIT: it would lead PP in Long War 2 major design problem, it’s cool to design a very long campaign but when you don’t have the diversity content to fill it well, it becomes boring but for some players.

Because old xcom was managing that well? I wonder how.

It’s no RPG no small roster, you can bring a strong party plus one weak recruit low level, but when you have 40 soldiers to grind level up, that’s just insane.

So my question is how the hell old xcom could manage it well?

Of course I can mod the game based on my needs, but it’s not the point. :slight_smile: I want game to offer believable systems so I won’t have to overuse my imagination. :slight_smile:

I suppose that having soldiers on level 5 is different than having soldiers on level 7. So there is difference in difficulty. :wink: So you need to put some effort to train them to the max level.

Well overall in my modification of the game soldiers will gather experience and levels a lot longer, but they will be given opportunity to have best skills earlier than that magical maximum xp. :slight_smile:

Realism, well games aren’t realistic, but enough of this realism topic, a spike anyway, it’s easy argue around realism in games, it looks easy as everybody know reality (not really, like wars, and so on), argue about gameplay is a lot more complex and obscure, but game need a serious focus on it, even simulators need it.

The problem is roster size, you ignore it when it’s a major problem. Ok to fix that but the grinding isn’t a good solution.

But remember that players shouldn’t focus on grinding. It should be natural way of progression. Soldiers should not be weak because they lack few levels. They should be weaker and less capable than better experienced soldiers but not to extent where they become useless.

If there is proper balance and progression you don’t even think about level of a soldier and that you need to get that next level (or actually max level).

Training centers should be used just to help soldiers to catch up with soldiers who are deployed to missions. At least in some limited way. In my opinion training center shouldn’t even let soldier get a level up. Just to get part of xp on current level.

1 Like

From my point of view, altering TCs so that having 1 or 2 in a base doesn’t completely invalidate real-world combat experience is both good game design and more realistic.

In ‘real life’, no military organisation on the planet recruits a soldier into their equivalent of the SAS until he has proven his worth through high-level experience in battle - because until he has done that, he hasn’t gained the instincts needed to survive in a split-second life-or-death environment.

So Training Centres should enable you to train up new recruits to a level where they are likely to survive if you send them on a mission (say: Lvl 5), but no further. In addition, they should be balanced so that if you have only 1 TC in a Base, it levels up more slowly than if you are prepared to risk your troops in combat. It doesn’t NOT level them up - it simply does it at a slower pace than the current system.

To those who say: ‘if you think TCs are overpowered, don’t use them,’ I turn that statement around. If you really want to buff your new recruits without risking them in battle, you should be prepared to put in a higher investment up-front for what you see as the long-term benefit of getting top-level soldiers essentially free of any risk.

If TCs gave half the points they do now, you would still have the option of building 5 or 6 of them in a single dedicated Training Base, which would give you exactly what you’re asking for - but it would be a choice to do that, rather than a no-brainer, which it is now.

I would also add, that under A different way to do difficulty modes which I am proposing on the Feedback site, both sides could get what they want: if you want OP TCs, choose CHARACTER or SUPER-SOLDIER MODE, if you don’t, choose TACTICAL. Everyone’s happy.

2 Likes

Or have the possibility to buy recruits in that are already level 7 at a higher cost. If players want to avoid what they see as grind then that’s the ultimate solution.

Personally I don’t see playing the core game as grind and think that sticking people in a non-operational part of the game in order to avoid playing that game that you’ve payed money to play in the first place as a bit odd, but each to their own.

So your opinion is clear, the game is a lot too easy…

But then this is what need be fixed, not a game tuned for half baked teams with plenty rookies level 5.

i say make training center a place with 8 slots that you assign soldiers to, just like assigning to a vehicle in personnel tab, and make them not stack xp, because its illogical to train two times faster by having two gyms

1 Like

No, the game’s not easy (which is a very good thing), unless you cheese it with the OP combos.

Nor are TCs an inherently bad thing. There’s nothing wrong with buffing soldiers to a point where they can survive with the big boys, rather than having to grind new recruits through low-level missions to replace your losses. I think they are a very clever solution to the age-old XCOM problem.

BUT, that doesn’t alter the fact that the system as it stands is arse about face. It’s patently absurd that you can get a Lvl7 soldier quicker & safer if he sits in a Base and does absolutely nothing for X days than if he pokes his toe out the door and risks his life on a mission.

So all I’m suggesting is a slight rebalance which means that the default position is no longer absurd.

An interesting compromise, what if there were a material cost to train soldiers? Having to pay in resources for each level, it would limit the “abuse” while adding a level of resource management to the mix.

You rarely have enough for everything to want to buy, it could lead to interesting decision making. Though it still punishes the lower skill players that are already struggling with the game, the good players that rarely lose units can easily afford the occasional cost while the struggling play might not.

Well, after going to a mission soldiers spend hours travelling (being far away from their trusted combat simulation). After that they maybe get to shoot a couple of enemies while their bigger brothers do the main part of the job. And after that it is hours to get home. During which time their friends at the base sweat in the gym, in the firing range, etc. You get the picture))

And yes, I also think stacking EXP is stupid. But I would like to see more techs in the game to upgrade and make the existing training facilities in the game more efficient. Instead of simply building more of the same.

I would gladly donate Pandorans from my Containment for training purposes! :skull:
I think it would make more sense than donating food or materials for EXP :grin:

1 Like

To get 40+ soldiers to lvl 7 without training centers there must be lot low/medium threat missions throughout whole game.

Now it is not like that. From mid game if you send low level soldiers to mission they will die. If you send two rookies with main team you risk to lose high level soldiers because rookies were too week to contribute properly. Plus with that tempo of training ODI would go to 500% while you train 40+ soldiers.

One solution would be to implement missions where you get exp and loot only. For instance to ambush small group of pandas on the map. Or to get missions from haven leaders to clear something of pandas or to protect something… or to clear something from raiders. Those missions should be easier and rewards would be minimal (for instance +10 to haven attitude only) but would be frequent so new soldiers can gain exp.

1 Like

Yeah, missions outside ? geoscape dots and pandorans dots would be a nice addition.
Probably they are planning something with the festering skies, adding some aircraft combat system. I wonder what happens of soldiers when the aircraft looses… it would be weird to just loose all the soldiers, maybe you have a tactical mission after, who knows…