Thoughts on the new Rage Burst, Mark for Death, & 'Onslaught'

There is a logical contradiction here.

This is silence, for those who do not use Canny or do not see there, a comprehensive solution to the problems of the game.
This is a poker face when there is no transcript (for an accessible translation) to discuss an important (for whom?) JG interview.

@Valygar Surely the Community (not CC) has no questions to the SG?
Surely the SG does not have the necessary news for the (Whole) Community?

Would Star Citizen be better if you have devs answering posts on their forums?

A successful game has devs listening to player feedback, then deciding what they should change based on their analysis. The only trustworthy dev communication is the patch notes (and even then, the “Fixed bug X” might not be true for every case anyway), everything else is lip service.

(Even if you have community managers, who are paid to interact with the community, they might not know, or are not allowed to say, more than what the studio officially discloses, 'cos plans change, and everything written by an “official person” becomes a “promise” for a loud part of every community.)

5 Likes

You are not wrong, interactions with community (CC included) is lacking, very poor in my opinion, and hurting SG credibility.

We did not receive clear statements about their vision for this game, without that, I only can feel inertia and shortcuts, without solutions for core issues in the game

This is a new (not new) genre in the game industry, “have fun playing beta” …

However I think that this issue needs some perspective and discussion:

SG is a pretty much small new studio with 50 employees according to google. Very different from a medium sized studio like Firaxis with 180 employees, and very very different from a AAA studio like Electronic Arts with almost 10000 employees.

PP probably does not have a public relationship departament or anyone dedicated to communications. Im not saying the communication of SG games is flawless or even very good. But the expectations a part of the community seem to have, may be not very reasonable. I would say the feedback forum has actually managed a level of comunication and interactivity many other studios and games of bigger size do not provide.

On the other hand, as much as I dislike games being released unfinished and I think this model has been abused from big developpers. It has also allowed small studios and indie developers to release games they otherwise could not afford.

Many people has been extremely harsh with SG for this. And I think this is not granted. Phoenix Point is precisely the kind of game that exists because this model exists. We are not talking about a well stablished franchise or studio, in a situation like the one in Civilization VI (with important game systems which do not work after 5 years, 2 expansions and a dozen of paid DLCs after release).

5 Likes

To the point. You are not led from mission to mission to the goal, but the game leaves you a lot of freedom. Which way you want to go without knowing anything is a matter of luck. For a veteran this may be easy but for a beginner it is not so friendly and understandable. PP had more than 1 year to improve the game. I can’t say if players have that patience nowadays.

Well this is very much the same Like the original X-COM Games were. I Like this much better than Firaxis XCOM Games that only try to create some sort of illusion of freedom while there ist only a very narrow way to go. And let’s be fair Firaxis never cared about any bugs but started working in the next game or DLC. Snapshot Games seem to Care about Bugs and reballancing.
On the other Hand with all these options in PP it is easy to miss out on important Details (like me not getting that WA Arms can heal normal soldiers as well, not only mechanical parts).

Difficulty settings (and there balancing) are pretty much BS (see other tread) imho - Firaxis did much better on that Part.

1 Like

I am not enjoying the beta.
I’m tired of waiting and trying from 2017 to 2020.
I bet 99% that I will be disappointed again with DLC 3.
For me, the future of Phoenix Point is much dearer than the fate of SG.

PS
(Who would know the name Gollop without UFO?)

The wording you are using here is the issue.

You do not like the game, I’m sorry for you but as the game is mostly completed it is unreasonable to expect that a DLC or some patches will make you like it.

Not liking a product (especially in the context of art and entertainment) is not a reason to be rude or impolite with the creators of such product. And I’m not saying you act like this, but many people are.

SG is not an evil corporation who took a beloved franchise and turned it into a disposable excuse to steal money from the customers. It is a small studio that wanted to make their game and put a lot of effort into it, even if you disagree with decissions they made (as I do). If you don’t like it I’m sorry, and probably SG are sorry about that too. But this is where a healthy interaction actually ends.

I bet 99% that I will be disappointed again with DLC 3

Why? I think that if you like the game as it is you probably will like the DLC; and if you hate the game you probably should not buy it. I know I will buy it, and it would be a surprise if I did not like it, since I like the game and the previous DLCs. If you are in between, maybe set your expectations to wait and see.

For me, the future of Phoenix Point is much dearer than the fate of SG.

There is no future for Phoenix Point outside SG. As simple as that. They are the creators of the game and everything that PP is, is because they made it.

Who would know the name Gollop without UFO?

You would have no UFO without Gollop, is not the other way arround. You dont get to like a book and hate how the author writes it. Talking about creation and creators as if they are separate entities with no relation to each other is simply not a sane perspective.

3 Likes

@oSiyeza

I think you should join the Council, we are very polite :slightly_smiling_face:, at the same time super critical with the development, but always proposing changes and sharing feedback in order to improve the game, and you have nice ideas too

3 Likes

It would be my pleasure, how do I do that? :grinning:

I will ask to devs directly today :wink:

1 Like

Everything is normal, if people like me are not in 29%.

Everything is normal, if people like me are not in 29% .

I do not understand the point you are making. If literally everyone hated the game, that will not grant anyone the right to be rude or impolite with the creators (grating the game works and is not a scam). But they don’t, most people seem to like it, even if there is a very vocal opposition that I think biases comments and maybe the reviews.

Regardless, I want to clarify that my comment was not sarcastic, I’m really sorry you don’t like the game. I like it and will prefer the game being a success and everyone enjoying it as much as I do.

I have also come to understand that my personal taste for games is not that mainstream, and sometimes I enjoy more some games that are polarizing, instead of the overwhelmingly positively reviewed ones. And that is ok too, not everything is for everyone, and we as people have different tastes. And it is a good thing that not everything is aimed to the same people.

What I think, is that it is not good or healthy for any community when some players make a personal crusade of complaining when something does not fit their personal tastes, as if the creators owed those players the specific game they want. This is a languaje we all sometimes fall into using when something displease us, and can easily scalate to rudeness in forums.

I think some fans of the old UFO games feel betrayed with PP. I understand how they feel and why. But it is a feeling that often gets framed in a harmful way. I happen to love PP despite its issues, but if it wasn’t this way, the healthy thing for me to do would be to accept and maybe try or look for games such as Gear tactics, RAM pressure, Xenonauts2, Othercide, Hard West, Project Haven, Phantom Doctrine, Battletech… Maybe I would find a game that fits me just fine.

Anyway we are going a bit too much out of topic. :slight_smile:

We all have some criticisms and concerns about the game mechanics. I think the new MoD and Onslaught work just fine. But still dislike the Rage Burst Ability. I still hope it will be tunned up to be more useful and fun to use. But overall, as patches go the game is more stable and balanced.

I have to say I enjoyed a lot the old fire system, and that the new balance make it a bit too on the weak side, but is something that can be easily corrected (I suggested fire lowering perception or accuracy). But I generally like the direction of game changes, though there are issues with lenght UI and difficulty. But habilities are in general better, if somewhat needing a bit more of punch and fun in cases.

1 Like

I also hope that this will be converted into “another life” for the Phoenix, and not into the burial of the SG.

Every player’s wish cannot be realised. Just write letters to Father Christmas is just as good. You make the game worse than it is.

There is a contradiction here.

You don’t like the game, fair. Now let’s try to make some points and let’s discuss about something useful.

You would not be here if you did not care about the game, as I take from your words you see a lot of potential in it, and you are frustrated by some very big flaws you see in the design. Maybe people here would relate with that feeling if you just dialed down a bit your choosing of words.

Discussing on what are the specific mechanics you dislike, and how would you change them is useful. And will invite others to join the conversation and exchange ideas, that hopefully can make the game better.

We are here to share our experiences and ideas, and maybe help the devs to make a better game for everyone. That is what we all want, is it not?. But maybe try to not just focus on your disappointment or how you feel. Cause otherwise we will not be able to understand you and chances are the conversation will be derailed and civility lost.

2 Likes

This is a passed stage for me.
https://forums.snapshotgames.com/u/noStas/activity/topics

I have lost faith in the effectiveness of the SG.
My last hope is future big Mods, active Modding.

So you show in topics where others try to have an honest discussion about gameplay issues and exchange ideas on how to solve them; just to disrupt the discussion and tell them that you don’t care?

I hope I don’t need to tell you why many would react badly to that. And I hope in the future you try to put yourself in the place of the people you are talking to, to understand where they are coming from and rephrase your words to a more useful frame.