The game feels better on hardest difficulty

OK, I’m annoyed now, so I’m going to stop engaging in this conversation.

I refer you to my other long-running thread, which is all about how broken Lairs + Citadels are, and how the game can currently be cheated and should be fixed. Lairs vs Citadels

And that is where I leave this thread for the time being.

But that is exactly what you are not saying when you accuse another player of “doing something wrong”. In other words are you really meaning to say the player isn’t doing something wrong, but the game is? If so, say that and not abuse another player by saying they are, basically, stupid.

1 Like

What I think @MichaelIgnotus says is, that situations like two sirens mind-controlling through thick wall from unreachable place shouldn’t happen in a first place. So there is no point in discussing how to kill them, but discuss how to make them not do that.

In all other situations, disabling sirens head is something you can definitely do with a squad of six in one turn, and most probably if you can’t, you do something wrong. Or you had bad luck, but then there is nothing to change here.

There we go again, saying someone must be doing something wrong. Often times in the missions that take place in the map of ruins (where one has to retrieve an item), the sirens are behind the tall crumbling walls. If one is lucky the only visible portion of a siren is its arm. Good luck taking its head off by shooting the arm. ((EDIT: Forgot to mention that almost the whole unit has been Goo’ed into place.) Then there are the save civilians haven missions where the siren dashes off into a room in a building across the street from your units. No way to get a line of sight in one turn. Then we have lair missions where it can dash back and out of any direct line of sight, not to mention drop down one of the holes.

Yep, I must be doing something wrong, like playing a different game. More power to you for always being able to deal with a siren in one turn.

1 Like

Maybe the correct words should be ‘…try to use different approach to deal with’ :drooling_face:.

Edit :
Anyway I feel the difficulty level now (rookie) is a bit ok, but still at some certain situation I have had to use OP stuff :dizzy_face:. Need to finished the game asap before workload wave come more deadly than pandorans :running_man:.

Never said you can deal with every siren the first turn you see her, but she can be disabled in one turn you focus on her. Being able to kill everything first turn it shows its ugly face on a screen is the problem I have in general with this game, and actually I am glad there are situations you can’t. I wish you shouldn’t and I think enemies are to deadly and have similar “alpha strike” capabilities to player, but that’s not something do discuss here.

As far I understand, @kingius choose the other way to play the game. The way I would like to play as well, as we agreed few times already the game should be more tactical and less min-maxed than it is. But:

Is it games fault you took a knife into gunfight? Game is unbalanced in general, and that means it doesn’t support pure tactical approach. I don’t like it, not at all, but this is fact. If choose to play against game design, you’re doing something wrong. So yes, you should have means of dealing with sirens ASAP, whatever it would be.

Yes, understood. But what I don’t understand is that you keep saying over and over again that if one can’t do it in one turn they are doing something “wrong”. I am sorry to say, but in every case this is not true. Stop dissing folks because you happen to be more lucky in your scenarios than the others that are put in a different one.

Another example where dealing with a siren isn’t necessarily the primary option – acid grenade launching Arthrons with acid lobbing Chirons. In those situations, I am going for the enemy that can cause the most destruction first. One battlefield does not equal another.

Sure, I wouldn’t be as radical, because like you’ve said, every battlefield is different. But there is nothing wrong in being wrong, this is not an insult. There’s no reason for indignation about using “wrong” word.

But at times one is not doing anything wrong, but you continue to say that they are. In that case you are totally wrong (some indignation implied).

If one won’t be, I will not continue saying that. :slight_smile:

OK, I’ve calmed down enough to reply without being snappish or rude, but it really does piss me off when people accuse me of being the exact opposite of what I am just because I think parts of this game are OP.

Anyway, you are confusing two very separate issues here:

First, Lairs are hard. I have never, in any of the posts I have put on this forum, claimed anything different. In fact, I flatter myself that I started the debate which is finally getting the devs to address what is to me one of the most fundamental flaws in this game. I would go so far as to say that Lairs in this game are harder to take out than the Final Mission in many of the XCOMs - at least there, you only had 3 Mind Controlling Nasties in the final room, and they weren’t backed up by indirect artillery lobbing Squad-killing bombs from inaccessible areas, along with infinitely spawning 300 Damage CrabTrons that can 1-shot you with RF or fire invisible sniper rifles at you.

Conversely, Citadels are piss easy. If you can’t take a Citadel down with a half-decent squad armed with 2 or 3 Sniper Rifles and/or a Heavy with a Rage Bursting Gatling Gun, then you really are doing something wrong :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That means that within the parameters of the game as it stands, it is strategically more sensible to leave Lairs alone and let them mature into Citadels before you take them down. This, to my mind, is stupidly flawed game design, and I have long argued that they need to fix it. But just because I take the strategic decision to keep my Squads hale and healthy by not venturing into a Mega-Boss Lair every couple of days doesn’t mean I’m having my cake and eating it - it just means that I’m forced to accept the game as it currently is and plan my strategy accordingly, and part of that strategy is “Don’t attack Lairs unless you really have to.”

Doesn’t mean I don’t want them fixed. I’ve long argued that Lairs should be Citdels and vice versa - then I’d be the first one kicking down the new Cita-Lair’s door and making like Garrus (while vociferously arguing that it’s still too easy and they should hide the Maguffin in the big Conch Shell structure and turn it the other way round - that way, we’d have to go to the Scylla to take it out, rather than sitting back and letting it come to us).

However, that is a completely different issue to the conversation that is currently taking place on this thread, which was started by @Kingius stating:

To which I responded, in what I thought was a fairly friendly fashion:

followed by a list of some of the most common ways of doing so.

For which I was roundly abused as an ‘elitist, hard-core power-gamer’, who didn’t understand the plight of ‘ordinary’ people who are just trying to enjoy this game.

I quote:

Since I listed at least 6 ways that 2 or 3 Squaddies can neutralise 1 single Siren - at least 1 of which even works for Lvl 1 Squaddies - I think I can safely say that I am well aware of the ‘possibility spaces’ in this game and have demonstrated that there are at least 6 approaches to the problem which @kingius has chosen to ignore.

So I tried to find out what he was doing wrong, because he clearly is doing something wrong - c’mon, even you would agree that there are multiple ways that a small handful of Squaddies can take out a Siren’s head in one turn - and got even more abused for trying to help.

At that point, I understandably got pissed off.

Now, to address your:

That’s not what @Kingius was complaining about. He specifically stated that he was having problems taking out a Siren with his whole squad. Of course there are edge cases where the solutions I’ve suggested won’t work - and in those circumstances, you either cut your losses and retreat or figure out how to get round the wall and take her frickin’ head off. But that’s not the same as “one of the mind controlling naga creatures takes the entire squad to bring down and just can’t normally be done in one turn”, because in most normal scenarios once you’ve got your squad past Lvl 4, that simply isn’t true.

So wherever possible, I don’t do Lairs and I advise @Kingius to (not) do the same. I have mounted something like 5 Lair Assaults in my entire campaign - I bugged out of 2, won 2 on the first attempt and won 1 after rage quitting and trying again. Lairs are tough, I’m not saying they aren’t, but on any mission (even in a Lair) a single Siren is pretty straightforward to cope with unless you encounter an edge case, which I am on record so many times calling for the devs to fix that I am tired of hearing the sound of my own voice.

Offer some constructive comments, not a flat out, “then you are doing something wrong”. Illustrate (e.g, in situations that I have mentioned) how to do it not the “wrong” way.

And I don’t recall that I was pointing the “you’re doing something wrong” at you. If I did, it was not intentional. BTW you are quoting me out of context.

I really don’t know what you try to prove right now. Honestly, I don’t. Let me quote myself:

How does it relate to situations you have mentioned, and why should I answer to that?

So, lets bring this discussion out of the realm of conjecture and back to some facts. One question needs answering: why didn’t my squad have Rally, or a Shotgun, in the nest fight I spoke about?

Rally > I had no one of the right class that could have Rally. When I hired more soldiers from the factions (from memory, I hired about 4 soldiers), I did not receive anyone of the correct class. You can blame me all you want, but nowhere in the game does it say I need to find a soldier of the correct class for Rally and to hire them, or which Haven to go to find them. /this is a problem with the game and not a problem with the player./

Shotgun > An early research topic does give the shotgun, but nowhere in the game does it state that you need to have one in your squad to stand a chance later in the game. It appears to be a fairly balanced weapon, from the stats, trading some range for damage. In some missions it can be a liability, in some circumstances it can be a boon. /Nowhere in the game does it state that future mission success hinges on using this weapon. The problem is not the player, but the game./

I believe this: That enemies have so many hitpoints is to counter the min/maxing of skills and abilities that players are using out in the wild and to provide a challenge to these players. The base line is therefore a maxed out squad. Not every player wishes to tweak their squads to perfection outside of missions, or to make use of broken combinations of skills - some of us just want a fun tactical challenge. What makes me believe this is the case? The forums, people complaining about unbalanced skill combinations, and how the soldier skill set gets nerfed in patches. /The problem is not the player, but the game./

If you bring up actual examples of how broken the game is, this forum will tell you that /you are the problem/. Then, the forum will also tell you that the game is broken, but don’t forget /you are the problem/.

One other thing, I don’t recall anything in the game telling me to target the head of a Siren and that it would disable her mind control. I could be wrong on this, but it is news to me, learned on this forum, that I should be doing this. If it is in the game, it wasn’t communicated very well… and if this information is not… then the problem is once again /the game/.

I’m here with you, but apparently we wish for a different game.

Because, unfortunately, this is not untrue. I’ve tried to play this game in a tactical manner, just like you. But it seems like it is against how game is designed. Few of us wish it will change, but till then it isn’t games “fault”. We think the game is broken because we have expected something different. I hope we can get rid of that min-maxing and solving issues with OP builds, but till then we have to play by the rules (aaand complain here, what we do all the time :P).

Remember kiting the Scylla all over the map in Backers Build? That WAS tactical. Now it turns out you can (and because of bazilion of other hard enemies around you should) one-shot her with a skill and h.machinegun. Mario & Rabbids for Nintendo Switch is by far more tactical turn-based game that PP will probably ever be, if the general direction of the game remains unchanged. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:

I don’t think it is directly implied anywhere. Also, technically it doesn’t. Siren theoreticaly is still able to Mind Control, but since she has 0 willpower because of broken head, she can’t. If you disable her head, all soldiers under MC will remain under effect till end turn. Siren won’t be able to maintain MC due to not being able to pay willpower cost.

So basically the people on this forum who have been saying I should be doing that and the problem is me for not doing it… were being not just jerks but disingenious as well because the information for doing this isn’t even in the game? Yet the problem is me for not doing something I had no way of knowing I had to do? Well, why should I be surprised at this! Thank you for clearing that one up.

If you break froggo torso you’ll disable Pain Chameleon, or Regeneration. And so on. It isn’t directly implied anywhere, but don’t tell me you didn’t know that :). If you didn’t, you can put it on the long list of things game does not explain. :slight_smile:

Answer, don’t answer, that’s up to you.

But, you refuse to reflect on situations where even if one focuses on her, there may be no clear shots in 1 or more turns. Yeah she “can” be disabled in 1 turn, no one has refuted that. But, that is not always the situation one finds themselves in during a mission.

My point is that you repeatedly just state that one is doing something “wrong” if they can’t deal with a siren in 1 turn. Tell us how to how to accomplish this in the various scenarios that I have mentioned. Again be constructive.

1 Like