Rage burst for sniper / heavy still OP

And if one does they are told they don’t understand the discussion or what they think is important. This beating of a dead horse is counter-productive. Those on one side are the only ones that are correct and visa versa. What exactly are we accomplishing? Only one side is correct and the other side has no clue - and visa versa. Either the powers that be have digested this discussion, or they are clueless. The horse is now dead, let’s move on.

1 Like

Buddy, it’s nice that you are concerned about improving the game. I’m not questioning that. Only on Nerfs I have an dislike, because the game has few useful skills. Why not make the useless ones useful?

Basically my comments go to the OP that calls for nerfing a skill because it is overkill in one situation, Citadels. Reading between the lines, that aren’t there, no consideration is taken in place for when this skill may be required in other missions. No where in the OP is there an implication (as others have voiced, that other balances need to take place). I don’t need this “OP” skill to win a citadel mission, but in other situations it’s one’s only option. Needing this skill due to one mission is not taking into other considerations of the game. Eventually we all want a balance, but in my opinion, this is not how to achieve this balance.

1 Like

Well, I can only agree. I also think that if players can manage to do it without using RB and get around it, it would be better not to make any changes for all the others who might get into trouble. This is only a personal view.

Please don’t take it personally. However, I would place you in school 3 according to the criteria below.

Your main counter argument against this OP skill is that the supporters of this thread are all hardcore players. So I’m not one, but this has nothing to say … But the fact is: if you read through the articles here carefully, it was factually explained that the certain “OP” skills (also on the opposing side) make the entire tactic in this game not necessary, especially rage burst with sniper rifle.
So you’re taking yourself out to speak for all the other “non-hardcore” players? That would mean that everyone you think you speak for doesn’t want to make tactics necessary in a tactical game?
Well …

Low Quality Bait :slight_smile:

Not to kick the hornets’ nest, but… I have just done 2 Citadels without the need to Rage Burst a Sniper/Heavy. 1 Heavy strips away armor with Boom Blast (1 Thor AML and 2 grenade launches). Technician deploys laser turret and manual controls it for 2 shots. Scylla, now dead and done in 1 turn. So based on the theory that Rage Burst on a Sniper/Heavy is OP, therefore Boom Blast and Manual Control are OP as well.

In another go, same softening of target with Heavy and 6 units with sniper can take out the Scylla. Again, Heavy with Boom Blast = OP. 6 units with Pythagoras VII (1 shot per) = OP. Can even be done with less snipers and 2 assaults with 2 shots each. When do we stop nerfing things because they are efficient and accomplish the goal, taking out the enemy before they take you out?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I used Mark for Death at the start of the turn. Again MfD = OP and needs to be nerfed? One can’t win unless they are losing.

There’s is a difference between killing something with multiple abilities used in combination vs only needing a single ability in isolation.

However that said, IMHO anything that takes down a Scylla in one turn ‘is’ OP and and regardless of whether that ability is used in isolation or combination, it should be looked at whilst re-balancing. I don’t feel that Scyllas should be that easy to take down.

I don’t say that they all need to be re-balanced, it must take some work to position a heavy and 6 snipers to all be able to take a shot (though to be fair, Dash pretty much takes care of that conundrum), but it’s still an element of tactics as compared to just hitting it with Rage Burst.

2 Likes

Comparing single soldier and 3 AP cost at any distance to two soldiers and summary cost of 8 AP?

Rage Burst isn’t OP, because 7 soldiers can easily achieve what one can do?

That’s trolling and you know it. :slight_smile: I will not continue discussing things with you as it doesn’t make sense right now (pssst. that wasn’t hornets’ nest, that was pile of soft and fresh manure. Know the difference :P)

1 Like

Fine, if that’s what you think. But it was not a troll, but a response to the OP stating that being able to take out a Scylla in 1 turn is OP (thus my examples).

1 sniper/heavy with rage burst can rarely take out a Scylla in 1 turn all by themself (unless the Scylla was already damaged from a haven defense). Some other unit(s) need to soften up the target as well. Perhaps 2 Sniper/Heavies with Rage Burst can take out a Scylla without other units needing to get involved.

EDIT: If one is only going to use 1 example (as the OP does) for why Rage Burst with a sniper/heavy is OP and not take into consideration of other times it is necessary (e.g. Haven defense with Scylla that can immobilize a whole squad with 1 scream while there are multiple enemies or a Lair mission with acid lobbing Chirons) I find that argument indefensible on it’s own. But go ahead and nerf this and give me a peashooter instead (BTW: this last sentence is a troll :wink: - since you seemed to need one).

All you even need is a Heavy with Rage Burst and Deceptor MG. 3 AP, and nothing more.

You’re just wrong. Most of us here talk and communicate out loud all the need to nerf, buff and rebalance all other things, even if we don’t spam with “whole balance is shit” at every occasion. So you either lie or ignore what we’re saying. Just because you feel there is a need for a skill to be OP in some situations doesn’t change the fact the skill is OP and breaks the balance in all other cases.

How about addressing the issue with “Haven defense with Scylla that can immobilize a whole squad with 1 scream while there are multiple enemies or a Lair mission with acid lobbing Chirons” in another thread, as this is clear it is unbalanced situation and should be toned down. You ignore all other solutions and just focus on one part where Rage Burst won’t be as potent as it is right now.

The sarcasm part and general attitude (here and in other topics with the childish “balance issues”) makes me confident you’re out of arguments and this discussion is over.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know that I am “just wrong”. Also, it is not called for that you are accusing me of being a liar or just plain ignorant. You are being abusive and it is not what this community is about. So what if we disagree, if I don’t follow someone else belief, that doesn’t make them wrong (or a liar or even ignorant), they just have a different take on the same issue. The OP asked for our opinions and I offered them. If you have a beef with me, do it via private message in the future.

Come on you can do better :wink:
You know that your example cannot be compared.
In the end, you used a tactic in which the whole team cooperatively killed a beast.
I also don’t like that scylla can be defeated in this way in 1 round. Nevertheless, I could live with it, because in my opinion it is more for fine tuning.

It is obvious that my counter examples to the OP or rather too abstruse for some of the supporters who are calling once again to nerf Rage Burst. The example sited in the OP is a Citadel mission with no other consideration of other missions one may encounter.

The problem is that if there is a sniper / heavy
with a rage burst in the team, all other tactics to kill Scylla are
superfluous / obsolete.

So in my examples I indicate that there other non-superfluous/obsolete means of accomplishing this mission. Again, one is extremely lucky if 1 sniper/heavy can rage burst the Scylla without some other units participating. However, the OP indicates that at least 2 sniper/heavys are needed to make this work.

I just have to wait until the scylla shows up,
then the magazine (5 shots) is unloaded twice from a safe distance and
that’s it.

Then when we throw in

Hard cap for effective range for example 15.

This means that this combo is totally useless in the other scenarios I have mentioned. So in response to the following, I posted several thoughts that are being dismissed and dissed by some for not supporting the OP.

What do you think?

I understand that everyone has their right to disagree with me, just as I have the right to disagree with them. But to totally dismiss any counter arguments as baseless, wrong, ignorant or a total lie are uncalled for and not what I thought this forum’s purpose was.

Enough of this pettifoggery and let’s try to be civil.

Your examples aren’t abstruse, I can understand them fine, but IMHO they are flawed examples.

Regardless, at the end of the day what we each think of each others opinions isn’t overly important. It’s what Snapshot think at the end of the day, and I doubt Snapshot care over much about anyone’s debating skills, so much as the proposal(s) being made in the first instance.

They didn’t indicate that, what they indicated was that the magazine needed to be unloaded twice. - You quoted that yourself:

I agree with that.

I guess I am mistaken, but how does 1 sniper rage burst twice in one turn?

Even with 2 sniper in one team on “normal” mode you can’t take Scylla in one turn (sniper/heavy) and you still wanna nerf this combo? You’re incorrigible.

It’s not combo what makes this OP but Rage Burst skill. Forget about sniper subclass, grab the Deceptor MG, unload 2000+ damage and so much shred armour is not relevant. All by single soldier, just with one guaranteed skill at lvl 7, 3 AP.

You can combine it with whatever other class you like, Assault for Dash to make range irrelevant or other and it will give you more utility for execution.

I didn’t want to attack you personally with my comment. If so, I’m sorry.
You have your opinion and that’s fine. However, I did not find the argument comparable, I could have said this more objectively …

There are also certain players who would like to keep the rage burst as it was when it was released (full magazine and full accuracy). Then there will definitely be players for whom not even that would be enough. It is best for every class from level 7 to have a nuclear weapon with unlimited range. And the problem is that someone like that would defend this skill with all his might, because it is fun to shoot everything in the air and to feel like an RPG god.

But I am primarily concerned with the tactics in a tactics game.
The fact is: I could give a 7 year old child the instruction to aim at the big bug with RB with the 2 sniper / heavy soldiers and the citadel mission (on legendary) is practically (+ -) over. No risk, no chance factor.

Does that seem correct?

Well, IF you hit something. Just because with much luck 1000+ dmg could be possible, you want to nerfe everything? Like I said, you twist everything to be right but that’s no reason to make everything worse.

1 Like