Never again Epic games

Its always nice when they succeed to make a mess of a game (wich is nice) and push people away from it .

By the way when mods like they can close this topic .

Oh boy, you havent seen the “Epic exclusivity” response :slight_smile:

Well, strange world we live in:

Being able to play first seems to be charged way more (like early access on steam) while you effectively beta test the game until its content full and fixed.

I also invested in “2 times love with Phoenix Point” but should better stay true to my general “late gaming policy” of waiting for “definite versions” 2 years later and cheap key on Kinguin. Much cheaper and smoother gaming experience :slight_smile:

Take the best of it: give Epic account to a friend as a gift, and buy later full PP on Steam via kinguin. That is my best advice :slight_smile:

This is right and even more, because the season pass includes all 5 DLC that were planned (excluding Living Weapons). You can see this also in my or Jhon’s screenshot, it states “5 ADD-ONS”.

2 Likes

Seems I’m in the same situation having bought the game and season pass relatively early. I thought I’d read somewhere that everyone was meant to be upgraded to the year one edition though, since it’s now the only version you can buy and separate DLC isn’t available.

Don’t think this is on Epic either as it’s Snapshots decision, much like all the others that have gone down like a lead balloon. I wouldn’t mind so much if the game had been somewhere approaching complete on release, but even 6 months in it felt like a beta - and whilst I appreciate some DLC delays given the state of the world, it’s now pretty far off schedule.

I think the lesson is obvious though; don’t buy games early in their release cycle. Give it another year it might even be free somewhere…

I’ve got several awesome games from Epic Games in a free giveaway:

• Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Crying Suns
  • Jurassic world evolution
  • Galactic Civilizations III

I think that Epic Games is a great company. I am also grateful to them for bringing Phoenix Point a year earlier than Steam.

On Steam its basic package. On GOG and Epic is still separated.

To best of my knowledge, it was users best wish but never I have seen company promising upgrading basic editions to Year One elsewhere.

I like their policy of giving good games for free (for limited time / window of opportunity to grab it), friend of mine got Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation - games I paid on Steam, for free.

But mind its a marketing policy (paying company to do so for limited time) as well as bringing PP to Epic first - it was paid exclusivity programme, not real endeavor. In fact, their paid promo has delayed Steam and GOG release for a year - which strangely turned good, since game became more mature.

2 Likes

Epic gets a lot of hate but people forget how Steam became the monopoly and the hate that too got at first. I’m glad there’s some competition at last. The free games have been seriously impressive, even if it’s obvious they often give the base game to profit from the DLC. Better yet though the store is often cheaper and gives devs a higher cut.

2 Likes

Its way enough and DLCs can be got one by one, in time. Good and smart policy, Steam could learn from that.

Look of the app and a bit of support is yet to be developed further.

Surely, lower profit is great way to attract game developers, but as with Steam now due to popularity of it - might attract a lot of junk too.

We ll see, but somehow Epic exclusivity and state of PP at that time, did not bring much love in my camp. Surely, I wish good future with it :slight_smile: We ll see how they will do later on, when their market share grows.

If you are a backer as u said your account has been updated automatically as mine and those of others I know, they sent me 4 emails to warn me and I did not have to do anything I just re-download the game. For convenience I did it on steam thanks to the free conversion given by them of course so if you had problems is because you have ignored them previously and you have added content to your “account” “changing” and then losing the right you had, I would not blame EPIC but to yourself that you have ignored them.

Jhon_Now if you bought the game directly from Epic and not by being part of the backer, then some of the ingame DLC are not meant for you because they are only for the original backers back when the backer campaign was launched 2016/17 : Phoenix Point – Now Available

Like i said for me this topic can be closed .
Point is that Epics customer service sucks and is incompetent even if a customer is willing to pay for stuff .
I have sold my stuff and getting back to Steam where i never had any troubles .

Not true at all, the Living Weapons Pack was for sale before the switch to the Year One Edition. After that switch it is vanished together with the base game and Season Pass. I’ve bought it before that (lucky me), so I have the same ingame DLCs any backer has. The only exeptions were AFAIK some digital extras, wallpapers, story books and similar stuff, but no in game additions.

1 Like

It looks to me that no one here complaining ever had to buy a physical copy of a PC game. An it makes me feel old :stuck_out_tongue:

Once you bought a game (in the old times :older_man:), you were stuck with it as it was. If a year later a new version bundled with all the expansions would came out, you would have to buy it again; too bad if you did not get the expansions separately and they are out of print.

All this gaming platforms (Steam, Epic, GoG, …) are just replicating this system. They added new features, and removed some, but the base system is the same.

I’m used to the ways as they were, so I do not see a problem here. Just to make an example, I owned Heroes of Might and Magic 3 the base game, but none of the expansions. When the GoTY edition came out with all the expansions I just bought it again; I did not even conceive to ask for an “upgrade” since I had the base game: it was just not a thing you could do, and it was OK. They were two different products.
It was the same with many other games (Age of Empires, HoMM 4, and so on…)

3 Likes

New young generations and their complaints. :wink:

3 Likes

I remember that, and I remember having to switch floppy disks and waiting forever to be able to play silly Ducktales game on Comodore 64.

The beauty of advancement in technology, is that we can remove some inconveniences that old ways had (and create new ones).

That said, I am looking back with nostalgia toward the old times, when expantions had to be chunky and good to be sellable.

1 Like

Not just the expansions, I miss the old times when they had to have a playable and (mostly) bug-free base game before releasing it :laughing:

I also miss the goodies they put in the boxes and the good manuals.

We are missing a lot of good stuff with these digital releases (that they kept selling at full price without all the extra merchandise that was expected…)

3 Likes

Also, guides used to include copy protection method, e.g. game would
ask for some word or number written in physical manual (later replaced by serial numbers).

As in music, I really miss “physicality of existence” even I do like easyness of Steam. Would love physical copy with Steam key as best of both worlds, but world turned only to cheaper production and distribution system, maximizing the profit, minimizing the package and extras.

I look at how high any physical extras are regarded in Kickstart campaigns :slight_smile:

1. In a way it is kind of silly to have a situation where some people can not buy one special DLC anymore - does not make sense.
  2. I don’t know Ducktales on C64 but on the Gameboy it is a great game.
  3. Think about Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep : one year between them little changes in graphics (under water) new enemies: 2 different full prince games. Noone ever complained about that (tough a German video game magazine said it felt more like a mission disk than a new game)
1 Like

My memory is vague as I was like 3-5 years old. I do remember a lot of switching of floppy disks and loading inbetween minigames. Still, nothing beats loading games from audio tapes. Man C64 is sitll somewhere in my parents basement. I would love to boot it up one day.

Meh, I do feel that Terror from the Deep was lame (didn’t play it at release), but I do miss a more straightforward sequels. Some of the best games I played (Thief2, Freespace2) were just expansions of previous titles.

I don’t miss the old days, at all, in anything.

Don’t miss bugged games that were impossible to fix, as there was no Internet (Monkey Island 2 had a game breaking bug that I caught completely by chance, if not for that I would never finish the game and worse, wouldn’ t even understand why).

Don’t miss having to play whatever little was available, for it was either that or nothing.

Don’t miss a culture that put some people, many people, frowning upon games as a lower art form

Don’t miss corrupted floppy disks that would erase the game forever.

Don’t miss wanting to hear that game’s f*cking cool soundtrack and having no way to do so, having instead to go back to radio and hearing the same old wasted hits.

Don’t miss seeing in a magazine or whatever wht seemed a really cool game, but having no way to get it, because it was not available anywhere.

Don’t miss wanting to know more about the mind that had made such a f*cking cool game, and absolutely nothing was available.

So yeah, for all the sh*tty things in vaming nowadays, micro transactions, IAP, toxic fandoms, we are way, WAY better than in the old days