Nerf everything

You’re half right :wink: I don’t get tired of discussing any aspect of the game, but I think the common response to nerf xyz threads is to say, ‘but already the game is too difficulty, I need to be able to do xyz’ and that may well be true when those nerfs are considered in isolation.

There sometimes seems to be a disconnect between the people calling for that specific nerf, who are considering it a single aspect of balancing the game vs people who feel that that given nerf ‘is’ the suggested balance change to the game.

To which I just thought, actually maybe what we don’t have in and amongst all those individual suggestions, is a thread that discusses the whole picture.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Not sure how I feel about this, but in Warhammer 40.000: Inquisitor - Martyr there’s concept of shield called Suppression. And while it’s not depleted (and if I remember correctly, have three stages like +66%, +33% and depleted completly) you take reduced health damage, more damage the less Suppresion factor you have. It fits pretty well heroic feats of Adetpus Astartes and Inquisitors of Warhammer 40k universe, but could be insiration here as well.

Not sure if I like the idea of Psychic Shield, but I could live with lore and quasi-medical explanation that the more willpower you have the more focused you are, adrenaline makes you resist pain easily and so on. And as you start loosing willpower, the closer to panic you are you’re more suspectible to wounds. But to make it work, taking shots should reduce willpower, even if just a bit. If we’ll bind Willpower with Morale, we can go a bit further and ie. reduce accuracy of very low current willpower soldiers (like < 25% or something).

They seem to be on a path to make the game insufferable. So many developers making the same old mistake that the more challenging the game gets the more reputation it receives. But you see, those game never do all that well. The percentage of people screaming for more challenge are relatively small. It’s games that can be played and enjoyed by both casuals and those that like a bit of a challenge that end up in the ‘overwhelming positive’ group.

I think slowly but surly they are grinding this game into the dirt with their obsession to make it as hard as possible.
I have said it once and Ill say it again, games are suppose to be fun.

Who is doing that? And how?

Hiya Yokes, how you doing?

Hi Happydays, I’m trying to figure out how to finish Phoenix Point. :wink:

Please tell me your example of a “fun” game.
My sample is X-Com1994 and it was a very sad game.

PS
I want to hear your side with an example to understand your image.

PSS
And how do you feel about the idea of dividing the game process into selective customization of difficulty?

I’m isolated for 3 months so what a great opportunity to try and finish PP for my self. I was hoping to hear it had gotten easier :slight_smile:

Personally I don’t mind hard if it is fair, and this game isn’t hard but just unfair. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You know? Your right. It’s not hard at all, it’s fun, but in more than one way it’s totally unfair.
It’s like, okay you’ve had a few hours fun but now I’m going to kill off your whole team and kiss you off because we don’t like you having to much fun.

1 Like

I would like to pick up on precisely these words. My primary concern is tactics in a tactical game.
My definition is that for every action there must be a countermeasure to counter or at least the possibility of noticeably reducing the effect. However, if your team has already been halved after the first turn or your legs have dropped out due to an extreme chiron range, the fight is practically over after this round. This means that no further tactical countermeasures are possible.

All of the following aspects have already been mentioned. There is only a categorization of the overpowering combat system / skills according to my subjective feeling.

Generally:

• Mobility: As long as the maps are based on their current size, it seems totally unrealistic that the entire map can be crossed with the combo max speed and skills.
  • Weapon Range: Sniper and Chirons can often dominate the action from their starting position. You don’t feel like you have to put yourself in a tactical position (just like your opponent). Especially because of the unfair “OP” skills, either you damage the opponents massively in the first round or they sweep you away immediately afterwards.

Enemy:
HEAVY “OP”

• Bomb Chiron (mortar?): Often discussed … not fulfilling the tactical definition above.
  • Acid Chiron: just absolutely unfair?
  • Siren: stands behind the wall and can take over several soldiers without line of sight … has also been discussed many times. Maybe the Siren can cancel the entire “WP” on the first turn and take control only on the next turn? So you would have more time to react …
  • Number of opponents: You currently need “OP” skills to simply cope with the amount of opponents. The level of difficulty should make a significant difference in the number. It will also make the long turns of opponents run faster.

LIGHT “OP”

• Goo Chiron: not that much experience …
  • Arthron: Bomb is dropped for 2 AP. This will at least severely limit tactical responses, especially when he’s standing next to you.
  • Return Fire: can be avoided, but looks unfair when triggered. When I get shot, I don’t shoot back with full precision!

PP soldiers:
HEAVY “OP”

• RB sniper / heavy: Of course …
  • Electrical Reinforment: is stackable and the soldier can half-make his “WP” again in the same turn? wow … (Maybe the effect can only take place in a 10 tile radius, as with priest, and / or cost 1AP additional)
  • Adrenaline rush: someone sprints towards you and shoots you with heavy weapons for 1AP several times. fair?
  • Rapid Clearance: Can be combined to create unfair terminators.
  • Double Stealth Damage: stacking with other boni, OP with many builds. (Currently only usable with DLC) → Under certain conditions, even EXTREME “OP”
  • Rally the Troops: Can’t a radius be introduced here, like for priest? However “Multiple Rally” makes this skill heavy OP. 4 Squaddies with Rally effectively gives every Squaddie in the team 2 turns for every 1 turn of the Pandas.

LIGHT “OP”

• Quick Aim: Shoot 2 times with heavy weapons or how about firing the pistol for 0 AP?
  • Boom Blast: + 50% range → similar to the Chiron, but for 2AP. The difference, however, is that the Pandoras have significantly more HP. Here either the range extension or the AP costs should be deleted.
  • Dash: massive mobility … Not much significant alone, but in combo with HEAVY “OP”, well …

Do you have something to add or something to delete / change?

3 Likes

for enemy heavy “OP” - their count. :slight_smile: if soldier skills should be nerfed then enemy number should be lowered.

Good point. added … :wink:

Double stealth damage and stacking with other boni, OP with many builds.

EDIT: Currently only usable with DLC

HEAVY or LIGHT ?

I would say HEAVY, comparable with RB and in some cases even more OP (i.e. you can combine it with RB!)

Edit: One very OP example, please only read if you are aware of the risk of exploitation: :stuck_out_tongue:

Infiltrator / sniper with assault rifle skill, called “MrScyllaKilla”, can really handle Citadels alone.
4 Klicks:
1st Mark for Death
2nd Quickaim shot with Pythagoras at the thick armored part with the low HP (almost arround 250), deals 360 damage - 60 armor = 300 damage, bodypart disabled, armor away
3rd Quickaim Daimos shot on the same bodypart, 6 x 99 = 594 damage
4th see 3rd
=> together 1488 damage, almost any Scylla is dead in one turn with only one soldier that is not revealed, so in no danger. There are only few Scyllas with a bit more HP and yeah, then i need a second turn

2 Likes

Multiple Rally - this is the one Skill I do abuse, since survival is currently impossible without it. But 4 Squaddies with Rally effectively gives every Squaddie in the team 2 turns for every 1 turn of the Pandas.

Spot a Siren? Jet-Jump your Heavy next to her, fire off 2 Rallies, and your Heavy can either blow off her head or RB her into the ground in the same turn. Third Rally then lets them Dash for cover - assuming you didn’t stack RB with Rapid Clearance.

Very definitely HEAVY OP

Strong argument

I’ve editet my last post above to add an example …