I've tried.. I really have but now its time to ask for a refund

Ohh ffs please don’t use Metro as reference.

It’s the difference between a military operation which is a calculated risk in order to eliminate a threat and a resettlement of civilians where there isn’t a need to do it.

Would you have really cared either way if it didn’t? :wink:

Why ever not? It’s fiction, PP is fiction which is very close in genre.

1 Like

The funny part is that good writing matters even if you are intentionally making a bad product. Compare Sharkando to the Doom: Annihilation. In comparison Sharkanado has a much better writing while having much cheaper production.

Just by the name I don’t think I want to go anywhere near Doom Annihilation, but god damn it you just made me search for the trailer :wink:

1 Like

Can’t say that i like the idea of whats left of humanity just being out to murder eachother, and it certainly sucks from a players perspective when the nearby havens get to destroying eachother removing our recruiting centers… Yet that’s apparently the way the lore is set up… such as from this quote

I can see to a degree why refugees from the Disciples would refuse to go join a New Jericho haven, or why some NJ citizens might rather go take their chances in the wild than join the Disciples and get mutated… I can also see how this forces a choice on the player once the wars start breaking out and havens are being destroyed left and right… Do you intervene and save the recruitment centers at the expense of your relations with one side, the other side, or intervene equally?

To me it still isn’t fun though. Sure i can save my allied havens, or save both sides, or even neither… but doing so leads to successful missions which in turn ramps up the difficulty… Though it would seem this has gone rather far from the intentions of the original poster, so perhaps its time for a new thread if folks want to continue on with this line of discussion?

Yes it has gone into more than my OP was but it’s an interesting line of discussion… with respect though I think my original point was possibly missed.

Factions going to war? Not a problem. Makes perfect sense and I enjoy it… the problem is… in every play through. One faction goes absolutely nuts and wipes out absolutely everything within about a week… the other faction barely fights back. Then in the middle of this the pandorans attack a haven of the aggressor. Which they could easily defend but choose to let it burn down to continue the mass genocide approach… so clearly the AI needs some work in that respect… if you wanted to kill someone but you had to wait a day to do so because you had to save your family first from another murderer… it’s an obvious choice! Then to top things off… If you intervene to save the haven there isnt a single defender… not even a civilian with a bloody pitchfork. Even games like xenonauts had the crazy security guard with the shotgun!

It’s clearly a part finished game in this respect and it massively ruins the immersion. Yes it’s an apocalyptic future but it’s still the human race which has to meet a certain set of conditions and behaviour… if it doesnt then the lore needs to explain why… or we cant rationalize it and it ends up getting bad reviews and people wont appreciate the good aspects of the game!

1 Like

Yeah, I remember those! They were awesome! I think in Middle East missions they even had civilians with MGs or RPGs =)

The developers had promised us haven defenders in PP. They just didn’t come into game yet because of some bugs that are in need of fixing.

Is it a bug? Somewhere here on the forums someone had posted about having haven defenders in late game… i hadn’t seen it myself, the furthest i got was defending Tobias fortress thing before the last patch dropped and i restarted. Are the defenders supposed to be in at all stages of the game and just missing? I think that might just make defenses harder, as their lost units will lower your own guys willpoints… but that might also be fun to try and save them.

I am Agree to either refund !! or partial refund !! this game is good just too much bugs !!! bugs everywhere.

Well lets be realistic. There shouldn’t be a will power drop if the haven defenders are killed… it doesnt make sense… the PP forces are supposed to be professional soldiers… it’s different if the people they are working closely with that get toasted… but going to a random place to help random people and a few of them die…?

Frankly, the factions being at war isn’t the major problem here. It’s the absurd binary nature of their relations that’s really baffling and hard to rationalize.

• They go from taunting each other via mean tweets to all out war from one day to the other.
  • When they do it, whey muster an amount of troops that make PP feel totally irrelevant. You’re bound to think "hey dudes, if you were sending half of these men on pandas, there wouldn’t even be a game in the first place.
  • Instead of occupying havens, they burn everything to the ground. Yeah yeah, the virus may make them a tad irrational, but it’s really a weak justification.
  • There is no turning back, no diplomacy, nothing.

It just doesn’t add up.

If the war was shown as gradual, with factions raiding each other once in a while, capturing havens and “flipping” them under certain conditions instead of wrecking everything. If the war didn’t show a level of mobilization that invalidates the very importance of the PP project, then I’d clap and welcome it, but as it stands, it takes way to much suspension of disbelief to make it work, and the “total war” phase isn’t even that fun as far as gameplay is concerned.

3 Likes

It does if it’s a mania caused by the PandaVirus.

That’s where I’m with you. The Faction War doesn’t go anywhere and doesn’t seem to serve any purpose - even to the Pandas - until it fizzles out.

One player suggested that it was simply a game mechanic to thin out the available Havens ready for the endgame, and at the moment that seems to be the only thing it achieves.

If the Factions literally fought themselves to the death, triggered by the Pandoravirus and explained in the ODI Dream Updates, I could go with that. That makes them another timing mechanism that pushes the players to pull their fingers out and get to the endgame asap. But no, they just have a bit of a blarney, then forget about each other as far as I can tell.

And I’d be fine with this if the narrative presented it for real. As it stands now it feels like a cop out to justify a flawed designed. Ad hoc justifications feel particularly shallow.

If there was more foreshadowing during your interactions with factions, some reports of mounting aggression or something, I’d be all for it, but with the current narrative, it’s very thin.

Absolutely agree.

The hints are there - that first NJ mission that some people seem to have trouble with, where you have to take down a bunch of NJ soldiers who’ve suddenly gone violently rogue for no readily apparent reason. Then there’s hints of people having bad & violent dreams as the ODI ramps up - I vaguely remember one of them telling me that someone had attacked friends in their sleep.

But it’s all very opaque. I’m still in my first playthrough, so I’m wondering whether it will get spelled out more later on, but from what I’m reading on these forums I doubt it.

I’m gonna wait till I’ve finished the playthrough, so that I know what I’m talking about, then propose a proper fix for it if it isn’t there.

1 Like

Could we stop with this borderline bullshit explanation? So everyone goes crazy of fumes but you can fly into their heaven and conduct some trade operations, get a recruit, refuel your vehicle and etc. How the hell that is suppose to work? Do they sedate all people who work with visitor so they don’t pluck their eye out at first contact. Just face the fact that this is a simplistic implementation of the system, that’s all to it. There was not enough time to implement a system that will do what is necessary for the gameplay and would look coherent. So that’s what we got.

1 Like

To quote myself from another thread:

IMHO much more fun would be that fractions are in war from the beginning and that I have to work to make them cooperate to defeat pandas. Maybe to do some black ops toward that goal. And if I manage that I get some benefits.

1 Like

Well, Stalin only grasped at the American straw after his first - entirely selfish - choice of ally, who let him walk all over Poland and Latvia stabbed him in the back and started enslaving and exterminating his people. Then, once he’d used the US to help him take Berlin, he planned to pay that back by instructing the Stavka to draw up plans to push on as far as Paris. The only thing that stopped him was President Truman gently pointing out to him at Potsdam that the US now had an atom bomb and weren’t afraid to use it. So you might want to rethink using Old Joe as an example of selfless cooperation against a mutual enemy. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A much more relevant analogue to what’s going on here is the Algonquin in the 1700s, but then you didn’t want to hear that when I pointed you to it in a different thread, so I’m not going to waste my time again here.

Where I do agree with you, though, is that - despite the 20th Century being the most brutally genocidal since the time of Genghis Khan - most peoples (even the Nazis) generally only exterminate their neighbours if they want to steal something from them; usually their territory. So the Factions just engaging in genocide makes no real sense unless you factor in the Pandoravirus.

I am sorry to hear that your knowledge about World War II history is based mostly on Cold War propaganda. Perhaps your views may change after reading something like History of the Second World War by sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart.
I mean USSR was no more Hitler’s ally in 1939 than Poland in 1938.

2 Likes

That was after it was clear that Germans were defeated. After the Kursk battle it was only a metter of time when Germany will fall. After Kursk WWII became a race who will take bigger part of Europe, soviets or western allies.

Selfless?!? I never sad that. He was archenemy of the west and his only motive to be allied with the west was to survive. That only reinforces my argument that when faced with extinction people will ally with bitter enemy.

I am casual here I don’t read every post, and sometimes when I read I can’t answer right away. If that was something addressed to me I am sorry I didn’t answer that.