Inventory feedback

5 Likes

I would also recommend quick item movement keys. For example, pressing shift and clicking on an item would put it directly from the ground into your bag, from your bag to an empty equipment slot or from an equipment slot into your bag.

It might also be better to have a layout without scroll buttons. So perhaps small square icons instead of the icon and description all together, with the item description and stats visible when moused over it.

2 Likes

That inventory system looks like a good improvement to me :+1: we definitely need some way for soldiers to easily share ammo rather than dropping then picking it up. Unless there is already a way to do that and Iā€™ve missed it completely? Itā€™s also quite hard to see it on the ground when you do drop it.

I would assume the soldier passing the ammo/item is the one to use action points and not the one being passed the item? Or both of them?

1 Like

If I remember fight, and if the inventory management system is going to be congruent with UFO defense, there were multiple locations, backpack, belt, holster so on, that you could place items. Quick pick would be nice but would it dump everything into a backpack, and then would equipping said item cost more than say a holster or a belt? Is the weapon wheel a replacement for that?

If so, can maybe grenades or smaller items like that stack a bit. Maybe 3 grenades equipped at a time, max but you could have 10 in your bag, just gotta put them back on your belt when done.

1 Like

Just an FYI, you dont have to use drag and dropā€¦ just click the item to put the selection border around it then click where you want it to goā€¦ could easily work exactly the same for consoles

3 Likes

I like this!
Having a little <- and -> to cycle inbetween different squad members could be cool to (incase your adjacent to more then 1)

1 Like

I wonder whether it could be based on the size of the item being passed; to give someone an ammo clip takes no time at all, to hand off your rocket launcher take a little bit longerā€¦

2 Likes

@Nikajo Itā€™s free to drop an item, but costs to pick the item up. However, if youā€™re standing right next to a soldier and open the inventory screen, you will see a small portrait in the top right of the soldier standing next to you. You can drop items on this portrait. This costs AP to the giver, not the receiver.

2 Likes

@UnstableVoltage Ah I didnā€™t realise you could do that, thank you for the information! Iā€™ll try that next time Iā€™m playing

@SpiteAndMalice that sounds more realistic than every item having the same. However, they may want to keep it simple so inventory management in-game doesnā€™t get too confusing. Not sure what the right answer is thereā€¦?

1 Like

Interesting concept mrmonocle. I would show in place of Adjacent Party Member List, other soldierā€™s Equiped and Body sections. It would allow barter between them on one screen instead of opening two different inventory screens one after another. And below it can be small arrows to switch those adjacent members (in case there are more than one) - this could be also switched by Tab and Shift keys. Of course both soldiers would need to have AP to ā€˜giveā€™ items and equip them, but still no AP to ā€˜takeā€™ items to backpack.

AP bar somewhere on the screen also could be handy to show if we will use AP pool or not.

I also hope that different items would take different amount of space. Grenade and ammo 1 slot, hand gun 2, rifle 4, LMG 6, Flamethrower 8 etc.

And I would not make difference in AP cost depending on the item size (giving magazine is free, giving rifle takes small amount and giving rocket launcher takes a lot). Too much details like that can be overwhelming - you will need to calculate if you can give rocket launcher, medkit and bar of chocolate to other soldier in one turn. Please donā€™t go this way. :wink:

1 Like

I like your idea and you probably think this should look similar to this?
I cut out things from X-Com: Apocalypse Inventory management, is intended only for demonstration purposes end shown as an example.

2 Likes

Sodin, sry but I have used your screen. :wink: I would prefer something like that.

3 Likes

No problem ā€¦ :slight_smile: I just do not know if I can use a sliced image from X-Com: Apocalypse Inventory management and I do not violate copyrights for the game.

@UnstableVoltage can you tell me your opinion on that?

2 Likes

I would say if youā€™re just using it to illustrate a point, or show as an example, than it falls within fair use. IANAL

2 Likes

Xcom apocalypse did many things good.

At the beginning I thought the same would be great if I could do it in such a way as you draw it. But then I thought about how many times you give your team items this way.
Most of the time you will move items from your inventory to equiped items, and most of the time half of the screen will be empty. Thatā€™s why I drew it like that. :wink:

Paper doll needs to remain, as you will have different parts of the armor (head, torso, arms and legs) in the game. If you find a better armor or your armor is destroyed in a battle, you can replace it.

1 Like

I came up with thisā€¦ from my Tactical Overview Screen ideaā€¦ need to add a ā€œwhatā€™s on the groundā€ section.

Image23

2 Likes

Great thread. Love the illustrations.

2 Likes

Could get a bit cluttered with 16 soldiers but this is excellent.

1 Like

16 soldiers means high expandability. Do they want us to value soldiers differently than in XCOM?