In general, BB3 combat interface was more effective at supplying the necessary information and looking good at the same time. The current interface looks more like a first iteration design proposal that I would have expected in BB1, rather than now.
- Lose the grayish semi-transparent frames.
- Enhance the color contrast of the interface elements, make the edges and borders of icons and artwork more significant, so that it stands out from the pale background.
- Bring back the colored icons and artwork for soldiers, weapon and item selection, skills, menu items.
- Bring back the tiled frames for health, willpower, armor, both on the tactical map over the soldier/enemy and on the bottom, left along side the soldier artwork, just with the number value attached to a side.
- Bring back the left single column for soldier selection (with attached level number to each if needed). Most importantly: freeze the soldier positions to how they are sorted before the mission. It seems on each new mission, the selection order changes randomly, so I lose track of who’s who.
- Increase the levels of zoom in/out function (there’s only 4 zoom levels) and make it in finer increments, just like the free camera (why is this only for camera rotation and not zoom ?).
- Separate items into different category tabs for: weapons, ammo, grenades, armor, utility etc. Having separate tabs is quicker than just adding filters that you constantly have to toggle on/off. Or have both: tabs for base item categories, plus filters on top for special selections.
- Bring back the possibility to equip 2 primary weapons in the ready slots. Right now I can only equip 1 primary weapon and a pistol (not sure if intended or bug). Having the possibility to quickly switch between 2 primary weapons for different situations is crucial for multi-classing.
- Either add the list of available soldiers visible in the inventory/training screens, or make it fast and easy to go back and forth between the squad roster and inventory screens. Using the back and forward arrows to cycle between soldiers gets tedious after a while.
- Fix the position of items in soldier inventory tiles. For example, right now, if I replace the weapon in the Ready tab, slot 1, with another one from inventory, it shifts slots 2 and 3 on top and moves the replaced weapon in slot 3. It seems the inventory tabs function like push/pop lists that constantly rearrange the items. If I place an item in a certain slot, I want it to stay in that slot, not automatically move on the last open slot the next time I open the inventory.
- Allow sorting of squad roster based on various filters (class, status, condition, location etc)
- Consider adding the common soldier actions menu (inventory, training, transfer) at the bottom, in a fixed position, rather than always opening it on the side of the selected soldier (keyboard shortcuts would also speed things up).
- The class icons, especially for multi-classing, aren’t very clear and intuitive. Long War mod for example, was pretty good at coming up with intuitive class icons for each of it’s multitude of classes.