Hey, and what about that Geoscape? Cool stuff!

But then what would we need floating base for? Just to check something on the ocean, retrieve it from the deep and then withdraw to the land of Africa? I don’t see this.

1 Like

Aaahhh!! Forgot about floating base. And in fact, forgot there are several planned endings (one for each faction and other for the bad ending?), so my idea was not that clever

1 Like

I believe we are promised TFD scenario and underwater missions in distant future of expansion pack 1 (2019 or so)

No. There was no promise. We said we would like to include underwater missions. IF that happens, it will be as a future DLC.

2 Likes

I would really like underwater missions. The depths of the ocean are really alien as they are today, so mixing the pandoravirus would get awesome things

1 Like

Killer sardinias with pincers and shield. :wink:

1 Like

Crabmen riding sea horses to battle

1 Like

OK, there was no promise.

There was a mention on the main website and in the fora, I believe.

I hope we will both live to it, since TFD is underdeveloped gem.

So you have changed the coastline. Will the view from sattelite be fixed on visible light typical for human eye or there will be some other layers to switch to? in one could be weather so there could be clouds, hurricanes and aurora borealis shown on the globe. It would be nice to switch to such view sometimes. Of course I don’t expect that such weather will be reflected in the tactical missions.

Extreme weather could play a nice role in the tactical missions. Dry hot lands would take willpower away. Heavy rain slow the movement down. Electric storms disable certain equipment as stun rods. Fog reduce visibility and aim. Snow immobilize vehicles and mechs.

3 Likes

Of course it could, but I think that it would delay release for next two or three months. So may be a plan for future paid DLC “Storm is coming” :wink: And could include year seasons and snow traces left by all moving creatures like in Frostpunk. :wink:

I really like how it looks, indeed, very stylish. Big ammount of havens/locations is also a cool feature. I hope there will be “controlled areas/territories” feature as well (as in Dune game), so you won’t easily go/scout wherever you want, and so that most well-defended and important “places of interest” are located deep inside these controlled territories.

1 Like

Hmmm … Dune >:-) Which Dune is that? Looks Atari/Amiga style!
I would highly recommend Dune Wars to Civ4 fans out there.

Certainly, some kind of - marking what is scouted/controlled and what is expected at least to be enemy territory, would be of great aid.

It is from 1992, half-quest-half-strategy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(video_game)

1 Like

Loved the Amiga version, Sega-CD one might be the best. Soundtrack is also great. Thanks for reminding me, often people member Dune II: Battle for Arakis and Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle of Dune (all RTS genre foundation).

There is one strange more - Frenk Herberts Dune, let me know if you get to play that one!

And will someone do all the books in one long Dune campaign? Jihad of Mua Dib awaits :slight_smile: As well as Raise of Sardakaurs! Strike of House Harkonnen on Arakis and many worlds!

I seem to remember some of the early presentations of the geoscape demos suggesting that the start of a PP game simulates the years before the start of the game so the main factions start off with a core base and expand into the havens / fight each other to control territory. This could probably mean the most developed / defended areas are in the centre of the territory so you would have to start on the edges. Needs confirmation as I believe this is from a very old demo presented at EGX once so may not still be the case

edit: found the video (about 25 mins in if timestamp isn’t working)

1 Like

But what will happen if you have your bases on territory of other faction? Or what if they mix with each other? I would say that there are no borders for territories. Each faction can have its own haven in any given territory mixed along with independent havens. And they will co-egzist like that until two factions will declare war / hostility to each other. Only war will polarize borders and eliminate less defended havens which are between those well equipped. But still two fighting factions can have other factions on ‘their’ territory.

1 Like

As far as I understand factions are hostile to each other by the beginning of the game (reason why you can’t have 2 allies in the game). So there should be some kind of territories to control. Well, I don’t know, maybe in the final version you can go wherever you want without any hindrance, but personally I’d like to fight through enemy territory to get to main “points of interest”. Classic 4X strategy approach, actually. And if you enter enemy territory just to pass or scout, something bad may happen )

1 Like

You sure it’s impossible and not “just” hard to do?

I believe as long as you can have good standing with 2 factions, there is nothing saying you can’t ally with them both, it’ll be “just” really hard to have good standing with more, as they will have missions against each other more and more, so it’s really hard to sustain for longer periods, but can’t remember it being impossible.

I suppose that two factions can even be allies. Maybe not NJ+DoA, but all other 2 combination are possible in my opinion.

1 Like