Game is Restarting my computer

Nice, at least you can test on medium and see how it goes. If all goes well you can enable options a few at a time until you find out the culprit. Or play on medium anyway until a fix comes, I’m sure there’s not much difference… if you look for them you’ll find them, but if you play normally focusing on gameplay, you probably won’t notice.

1 Like

Something happened last night that is a game changer.
For the very first time I had another games crash the same way. I was trying out the new Baldur’s gate game and after around a hour my computer reset itself. (I have auto restart turned off)
It has only ever crashed with PP up until last night.
It resets itself and apart from windows logging it as critical it doesn’t seem to log the event anywhere else. It also ignores the ‘don’t restart on system failure’ option.

It’s looking like some form of hardware failure isn’t it? I ran memtest through the night and that checked out okay. It looks like I’m going to have to start stripping and swapping out.

What a nightmare. Thanks guy’s for sticking with me. This has proven to be a tricky one.

Interestingly a few day ago I was wondering if it was hard drive related (as I’d suggested) or worse the motherboard has issues. I didn’t want to suggest it because it has more dramatic consequences. I really feel for you and hope that you can resolve this issue comfortably.

1 Like

My Son who’s a bit tech savy told me that it sounds as if it could be a power delivery problem on the motherboard itself, so I am going to swap that out and test.

2 Likes

Your problem is becoming more “normal” now. As I said programs can’t crash windows by themselves, it must be a driver, hardware or windows itself issue. Worse, your computer restarted suddenly, which seemed more hardware related. However as it only happened with PP, it was very odd.

Your son’s idea is actually the best bet, it makes total sense with the problem, probably some voltage is dropping. I’m actually amazed how I did not think of that before because I worked with computer hardware for 11 years and it seems so obvious now that you said it. However it’s now been 14 years that I don’t work with this anymore, so I guess I’m losing my knowledge :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve also had power supply problems in the past that were VERY hard to pinpoint and destroyed a lot of my hardware (power supplies and motherboards). In the end it was a combination of two things: cheap wall-powered USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs that did not adhere to USB specs and supplied current to the motherboard while the computer was shutdown, and salt air (I lived across the beach at the time).

Unfortunately, about 99% of USB hubs, even branded ones, have this problem. Fortunately, more recent good motherboards now have protections against this. If you ever take your computer off the power grid while having a powered USB hub plugged on it, and you see that any light on your motherboard stays lit, be wary of this hub…

1 Like

Yes, this has been a strange one, full of misdirection’s. It took my Son a weeks worth of evidence before he pointed at the motherboard especially on how it’s a pretty new motherboard.
I’m just waiting for some new parts to arrive and then I will be doing a rebuild were hopefully my problems will be solved and I can get back to the important side of computing which is gaming. :slight_smile:

On a side note, while I was ordering my new parts my hand slipped and I accidently pre-ordered a RTX 3080 as well. I really should be more careful. :smiley:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good to hear!

1 Like

hahaha good one! Hope it all goes well for you now.

Just a note, you do know about the rtx 3080 capacitor issues right? Some manufacturers did not follow the nVidia specification to the letter and (teoretically) cheaped out on some capacitors, which leads to crashes and hangs when the card automatically overclocks (this is a feature it has). The solution these manufacturers had to not lose money was to underclock the card so that it does not reach the frequencies that hang. It’ll work well, but you’ll be getting less than you paid for.

Since you didn’t receive it yet, be sure to choose a brand that does not have this problem.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for your problem and have fun with your new graphic card :slight_smile:

It hit me hard today. My notebook got a few updates and then got stuck in a boot loop with a blue screen before I can do anything. I’ve tried everything to get to Windows. Even if Windows starts in save mode, blue screens appear.
As a last resort, I did a factory reset with downloading the latest image (i.e., do a complete reinstall) and am just waiting for the download to finish.
Fortunately, I have a second notebook, usually for work, and I can have little conversations here … but I just wanted to play a little :unamused: :wink:

1 Like

And while you typed this I was figuring out what was wrong with my father in law’s computer :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s also restarting randomly as Southlane’s. Unfortunately I don’t have another power supply in hand to test. There are other problems though, some SATA ports aren’t working. Salt air is terrible for electronics…

Seems we’re all losing sunday time on hardware :frowning:

3 Likes

Well, I am glad it has been sourced down to hardware, good luck with new board
and I wish you great use of new gfx card!

1 Like

Ha yes, I was aware of this problem so I went with Asus. I think the only company that had 6 good caps on their card and maybe EVGA. Seems everyone else knows the score as I am 390th in the queue. Might have it by Christmas. :slight_smile:
Shame I can’t wait for it before I rebuild but I have to get this problem sorted soon as I have a bit of free time.

2 Likes

Having the same issue. Seems like it happens during battle for some reason.

Running a Radeon RX 580 Series with 8192MB of VRAM (GDDR5 2000 MHZ)

CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 - 3600, 6-core Processor with 16 GB of Ram

First thing then is to try another power supply (provided it’s good enough for your build of course)!

One might try using SpeedFan software to test power supply, temps, etc. https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Just curious for Two and Southlane… Are you overclocking CPU?

I reset bios to normal as I was always CTD when playing this game. Since I did that, no crashes. I kick in the OC for my other games though. ASUS x-299 motherboard here…probably need to upgrade it soon, as it been giving me tons of fits.

1 Like

No and it’s not a faulty motherboard as I suspected. It crashes with a new motherboard as well. The only time I have experienced a hard crash such as this is when I have been playing a game that uses Vulcan. PP doesn’t by any chance run Vulcan does it?

It has to be the game. I have been playing Watchdogs legions with everything on Ultra and not one problem.

What about the power supply? Did you change it?

About the game suspicion, try other recent Unity games if you can and see what happens.

1 Like