Game is Restarting my computer

Same here… But how many others are experiencing these crashes and resets? Maybe a handful out of thousands? That tells me it is on the User end. Not the Games fault.

1 Like

This is probably because your old campaign was broken with the latest patches. When you started a new campaign, everything worked as it should.

2 Likes

This resetting is really curious. A game/program cannot reset/crash windows by itself. It has to be a hardware or driver issue, that’s only exercised by PP. Probably Unity uses something that’s faulty on your end (be it hardware or driver) that other games do not.

The first thing you should do is disable automatic restarts so that you can take a look at the error proper (blue screen). This way you can google it and discover what it means. If you don’t get a blue screen and the computer still restarts, then it’s most probably a hardware issue.

Another thing to do is launch “Event Viewer” right after a crash and inspect the “critical” and “error” events in the last hour. This way you’ll probably find the cause of the crash, although it takes some interpreting / googling to discover what is what. You can also try looking through the crash report that windows creates when it happens.

Some other things you can try:

• Uninstall AV software momentarily and try playing. If you do not want to stay without any AV, enable the Windows one (Windows Defender). If you still get a crash, you can reinstall your preferred AV software because that’s not the issue. If you don’t get crashes anymore, I suggest contacting the AV vendor support about this.
  • Try installing the game in a different hard drive. Also, do a scan with the manufacturer-provided tool.
  • You can also try a clean installation of graphics drivers (just launch the latest driver installation and there’s an option for it).

Hope something in here helps. Good luck.

2 Likes

I thought the same that’s why I always started a new game with the same results. It was only with a fresh install did it finally work as it should.

This crash that is resetting my computer has to be the game. A while back PP had the exact same problem when certain things happen on the battle map that would reset or blackscreen peoples computers, but then there were a lot of people playing it and reporting the issue. Snapshot found the problem and fixed it. The problem seem to be back but it takes more people to play it and discover the bug.
If the dev’s could look back to what the bug was at that time they could isolate this one.

1 Like

In this case you should contact Snapshot’s support directly.

2 Likes

The next time this happens, try getting the crash log files and e-mail them to Support:

2 Likes

I have been to those two locations but can find no crash file.
It has only crashed once since I reinstalled the game earlier today. the crash does not crash back to desktop it resets my computer.
I will play again tomorrow and when it crashes again I will take another look for a crash file. Would it have time to write a crash file if it resets my computer? It’s instantaneous.

Windows event viewer reports 7 critical errors which I assume are the crashes. All reported as Kernal-power 41(63)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

See if you can find anything else there, this one is just windows recognizing that it wasn’t shut-down correctly and is logged after the computer boots up again.

As you suspected, the game won’t be able to write a crash file if the computer restarts. Do you see a blue screen rapidly before the restart?

Have you tried disabling automatic restart in windows? This is important to see if you’re getting a blue screen (may be software or hardware related) or not (most probably hardware related if so). If you do not get a blue screen, you should evaluate your computer temperatures while playing PP and other games to see if PP if making a furnace of it and making it restart.

2 Likes

If it is software related, then this event 41 should also contain a ‘Stop Code’ or ‘Bug Check Code’ with a number. This number identifies what causes the restart and can be checked on Microsoft references. Or at least could maybe help the snapshot support if you don’t want to dig deeper into this.

Edit:
Here is the MS-site to start, if you are interested to hunt the bug a bit by your own:

1 Like

No blue screen just immediate shutdown no warning. Temps are none excitant, case is cool.
I can play the likes of the division 2 or Horizon new dawn all day on top settings @t 100fps and it’s rock solid. Sorry HND does dip to around 80/85 fps
I have now disabled auto restart.

Thanks, I will take a look tomorrow. I need sleep. :smiley:

See if in the next crash you’ll have a blue screen.

Also don’t rely on case touch temperature, you need to see the components temperatures.

An important detail is that you said the machine restarted, but in the last messages you said shutdown. If it’s a shutdown, then it’s almost surely a temperature problem. If it’s a restart, then it may be a lot of things.

1 Like

No, it’s always a restart. I was referring to shutdown as in the shutdown then restarts. Never has it shutdown with out restarting.

My case is the Liam-Li Dynamic extra large, so bags of air flow.
GPU and CPU are both watercooled through 2 x 380 radiators and the system is clean and free from dust.

Ran Afterburner with the game and my temps were
CPU 40 - 41
GPU 30 - 33
Average memory used - 4843

I have disabled the ‘Legacy of the ancients’ DLC. Let’s see how that goes.

1 Like

Great temps - however the important thing would be to see which temps were achieved when the restart occurred.

That said, with your setup and the temps you described, plus it restarting instead of shutting down, I would say the possibility of heat problems is now very low. I would still leave the program running to check temperatures in the restart time (a bug may make the cpu/gpu go to 100% usage for a long time and raise temps), but we can probably discard this possibility.

Unfortunately I’ve no other ideas at this time besides checking hardware and also windows own files. I’ve had a recurrent blue screen problem in the past that was caused by corrupt .net framework files. They got corrupted in a windows update installation, don’t know why. There’s a windows utility for that:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

In my case, running the “sfc /scannow” command in an admin cmd prompt was enough.

1 Like

Done that the day before yesterday and it didn’t find any corrupted files. Ran it again today after a windows update and it found some bad files and fixed them.

2 Likes

Windows dependencies can make hell. That is why I opt so hard for Linux version >:) Until one can afford Mac :slight_smile:

Has stability improved?

1 Like

Not had a chance to test it properly yet. Maybe get a few hours tonight. The only thing I will be changing this time is deselecting the latest DLC. It’s a last resort thing I have ran out of options.

1 Like

I just googled the problem and there are quite a few hits with people having or had the same problem. The one interesting thing is they all had Nvidia usually RTX cards.
Here’s a post I found.

‘If I leave everything on high, but unchecks all the boxes, it seem to not do this, but I cannot be sure which of it is. Seems one of the graphical checkmark settings are unstable for some systems.’

But he didn’t go on to say which graphical option it was.

2 Likes