Class System feedback & suggestions

In this discussion, let’s not forget the new infantry tank: berserker with combat shield! I am really enjoying this combo these days.

1 Like

We have said everything we have to say. Thank you for your opinion. As always, discussion is necessary for a healthy community. Have a good evening.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it with serkers, but I really like the combat shield. Sometimes I use it with one trooper in front with the shield, and another in the back who shoots over him.

Actually, I like all of the weapons in Polaris.

4 Likes

Enemies target the beserker behind the shield, and his stance behind it is very good, so he rarely takes damage. I’m still new using to combo, but have gotten very good results so far.

2 Likes

Well, this is PPˋs biggest strength.
For me the Sniper and Heavy are clearly the most effective classes. They are so deadly, that I have to „exclude“ Quick Aim and Boom Blast. Only then the other classes can keep up with them.

2 Likes

The other classes serve other purposes. Assaults are great for scouting, flanking, and support, which often involves finishing off weakened enemies, pumping them full of virus rounds, or softening them up for stunning attacks. Technicians are so useful that it’s ridiculous. The spider drones from infiltrators are great for scouting and shuttling down spawn points, and everyone loves the infiltrator stun effects. Berserkers have new life (literally!) with the combat shields. Priests are another excellent support class.

2 Likes

My own recipe:

• Multiclass all but heavy to sniper-assaults ASAP at expense of speed and strenght that can be boosted later. Once you can dash, overwatch at half price and shoot at half price, you have mini rambos that can run, flank, RF with snipers … real multipurpose soldiers

• You can multiclass second squad to priests, engeneers etc. later and the mix two squads

• Add sniper helmets too all to increase precision. Add fast leg armor to heavy *I like heavy-assault for pratical purposes. When you can add heavy armor to everyone so now your sniper-assaults can jet jump :slight_smile: Add fast leg armor to everyone, once you get it from Annu, boosting speed of all

• Have at least one priest to see enemies, mind control or panic bigger threats later on. There he is indespensible. Should have some better armour boosting psy powers further!

• I like speed of beserkers but I multiclass them to assaults to gain even more dash speed and add them stronger armour since they are easy to be killed.

So in some general area, heavy is most defective class to me. I like when someone gets heavy weapons ability separated from class so he can carry granade launcher. Then you have assault sniper that also has granade launching ability at half of cost :slight_smile:

I don’t mean, that the other classes are useless. Assault, Tech and Infiltrator are great, Priest is good, only Berserker is somewhat weak (depends on random perks). But especially the heavy is dominate! Destiny III is crazy, Boom Blast also. I can kill or crip everything before they can see or reach me. And „if“ something survive and comes close, „war cry“ or let it be with RB+Deceptor.

I use only single classes on Legend difficulty, self restrictions you know :wink:

1 Like

I don’t enjoy legend. The battles are more fun, but the pace is not. Having a list of haven attacks running off the bottom of the screen is just too anxiety producing, even though I never plan to try to defend them all.

3 Likes

haha, heavy threads are just the best! The arguments enter an eternal loop until someone just asks to stop it :joy:

In this case, about the @Omega / @MadSkunky loop (sorry for bringing it back) reading everything at once and “from an outside perspective” I saw that you were both kinda misinterpreting each other through a lot of the messages. I think Omega wasn’t really saying that the heavy is useless for everyone, he was saying that he can’t see the logic of using a class that takes so much more work to be usable in a good way with its main weapons, when there are others like snipers that are great without any effort. He wasn’t criticizing that you MadSkunky like to take that effort on, he was criticizing this difference. Which kinda is my point too.

However I do like to play with heavies and take 2 of them in each team, although they’re mostly grenadiers until a specific situation appears that let’s them shine in a different way. They’re also the MVPs in most missions, because of bash or grenades. I’ve never used the Destiny III, because I’ve had bad RNG with either NJ or SYN in all my 3 campaign tries which were all disrupted by a breaking patch, breaking bug or new DLC.

The point is, I wanted to play with the heavy weapons (I’ve given up on the heavy armor for this, although I wanted to play with it too) but that’s really rare, because even giving them 20 speed and having a jetpack, it’s just too common to have enemies killed by my other soldiers before or having a cluster of enemies that scream “throw a grenade at us!” or a heavily armored foe that needs some shredding. However, I don’t have much Arkham/Polaris experience yet, and so much changed. In my last game I had SG assaults with great synergies (that I think are not possible anymore), great sniper-infiltrators, a really fast and deadly berserker scout, etc. So, the heavies were more like disabler / mopping crews with grenades and bash. Having a machine gun or even rage burst situation was really cool. Also I liked to OW with the cannon from medium range just to see if I would get lucky. Once I killed Subject 24 this way :grin:

So I say that before Arkham/Polaris I still felt like Omega about heavies. Now, I need to see how they are, but at least in paper I still think they could use those proposals in the beginning of this topic.

1 Like

Exactly!
But the hole game is not enjoyable for me if it „becomes“ as easy as “click around”, even if I don’t like the pace on legend. I would stop playing any TBS game without a challenge.

Yeah this is a point for me too, the difference is that I like the geoscape and planning part more than the tactical. Since the pace is so hectic even on veteran (although it did get better in necronomicon I think) I stick with that.

The tactical part on veteran is easy for me but I take it on like a puzzle… how can I win this without even taking damage? Kinda like playing firaxcoms :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

well, this is exactly case, where the game conducts the player to play in certain way…

but about performance heavy vs others:
with the 4 action points turn based combat, and basic weapons types - 2AP riffles/shotguns ; 1AP pistols ; and 3AP heavy weapons and sniper riffles,

The Heavy weapons 3AP are harder (not so usefully) to use in practice, counter to other weapons due to lack of mobility - i need to get my soldiers armed with heavy weapons to certain position to become effective, and have 1 AP in the turn for maneuver, if I want to shot, The Sniper Riffles with 3 AP do not have this problem, because have long range and accuracy,

And the 2 basic Classes (Sniper & Assault) have direct skills to improve their combat performance - Assault’ Dash for more mobility, Sniper’s Extreme Focus and Quick Aim to reduce AP, Heavy class does not have nothing, which directly improves its performance with heavy weapons,

So best way to use heavy weapons is to give heavy weapons proficiency perk to Sniper class - if it is available, and give him heavy gear,

And the armor bonuses/penalties just extend this issue - Sniper has more accuracy, so it is even easier to use him, Heavy has less accuracy, so it is even harder to use him

Here I would like to state :

Heavy armor - high protection + aim penalty
Medium armor - medium protection, no bonus
light armor - low protection + aim bonus

this basic concept is good - theoretical, a player can choose and trade protection for aim penalty/bonus, but in practice works as I described above, for me

And same performance have a enemies, when I fight against them - bandits or New Jerricho,
enemy snipers are most dangerous, than assaults, and enemy heavies just stand back (sometimes on overwatch), they can not reach me and attack, and it is easy to kill them from distance

I want to notice here, that the description of the strength’s stat does not say nothing about melee combat

The “normal player” does not have chance to get explanation, how this mechanic works…

The Phoenix Point’s facebook page ask for the feedback, so I can provide that save file to the testers;
I am ablle to kill the Siren with 3 dash attacks, while shooting her does almost no damage
Maybe I am wrong, but maybe they can get notice

1 Like

I assure you they know about the heavy’s problems. They just don’t agree with it. From what I gathered from the councilor’s replies to these questions, they want us to play with the heavy in the frontlines, and if you want to shoot from farther away you have to give up your armor and trade that for more aim.

I do not agree with this line of thinking but in my opinion the heavy at least got some improvements. The simpler, last solution that’s needed for me is to just remove the acc penalty when using full heavy armor (if you changed any part you would lose this). There are better solutions, but this would be the easiest one.

1 Like

No need to swap out armor, there are mutations that give accuracy. Also multi-classing a Heavy with Sniper makes for an excellent long-range and close-range combo…

2 Likes

Combining armors has proven to be best for me. Somewhat standard equipement for me, that offers a bit of everything *no matter the class is:

• Accuracy helmet (usually sniper)
  • Either speed (Annu) or Heavy armor, depending on use. Living one is great too.
  • Annu fast legs to boost speed of any unit

This can potentially create fast and accurate heavies or torso protected assaults and snipers.

Only armor that can “fumble” is using heavy armor for jet jumps on non heavy class. About 1/3 uses succeeds, which can be great in some situations - in other its lost AP.

Also, having a perk to use sniper, heavy weapons or close combat apart from class system has proven great as it adds additional ability to use precisely weapons. In short sometimes you can heavy heavy that can use sniper and rifles properly, or similar combo - sniper that also carries a granade launcher. Surely, it does not give the class magic, but is great add on, I frequently use. These things often matter more to me then base class.

Surely, mutations can add a bit of additional taste, as well as cybernetics. I somewhat prefer cybernetics as it takes less capturing enemies and can be obtained much earlier. To that matter,
having even earlier containment and ability to capture, would be great to boost mutation system. Surely “mutagen” can later be obtained in citadels etc. faster and is worth of effort.

I dont know have I tried them enough, but I often find price of cybernetics or mutation in basic stat perks not so good vs armor. I use them to boost stealth of infiltrators or give some special ability, but rarely mutate a lot of parts and squad members, as I see people do. Dislike the loss of humanity look, specially with those cockroach like legs :slight_smile:

You need to remove the OP skills - Brawler and War Cry, and then
think over and replace them with options from real use.
For example, unleash the potential of Full Armor and JetJump:

• Special Overwatch (Extreme Focus for Heavy Weapon, Snipers get Gunslinger back) - tanking / holding damage and controlling the area (suppression fire?)
  • JetRam / Run - maximum offensive + damage (1AP? In the same turn after jetjump)

Class System feedback & suggestions - #16 by noStas

2 Likes

Mutating makes you lose the armor you had there, so it’s the same as swapping :slight_smile:
It was more of a general statement, swap an armor part or mutate or robotize your soldier…

Dual-classing into a sniper also works but you only get the long range skill at lvl5 if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Man you just gave the name of a really cool skill!! imagine if a heavy in full heavy armor could use his jetpacks to ram an opponent with just his mass :smile:

I’m not serious about it, but it would be really cool to see haha… anything with less armor than him would take a serious beating!

1 Like

Hevy had a similar skill in bb3-4, without using a jet.

• bb4 Heavy Lvl5 - Body Slem
1 Like