Why can't I get any mods to work?

OK, this is starting to irritate me now. As far as I’m aware, I’ve got the Mods file in the right place D:Epic\PhoenixPoint\Mods and the .dll of the mod I want is in the right place. So what have I got wrong?

are you using modloader 0.1?
you can’t use 0.2 for modded dlls (only for PPdefmodifier files) 'cause no modder has updated his mod for 0.2 (it is a techincal issue regarding references, or something similar)

if you already used 0.2 I think you’ll have to revert the files you overwrited (re-have the vanilla files, basically), remove everything else from 0.2 (remove also the Mods folder, don’t think it’s needed but it won’t hurt) and repeat the process from start with 0.1

if the problem persists then contact Ijwu, he’s a nice guy and will surely help you

I pesonally never had a single problem (except when I do errors inside modded files, ofc)

Verify that in the “PhoenixPointWin64_Data\Managed” folder (where you placed and ran “PhoenixPointModLoaderInjector.exe”), you have a file named: Assembly-CSharp.dll.orig

This is the backup for the original DLL of the game (the injector modifies it).
If you don’t have it, that means the “injector” failed. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the case since your “Mods” folder appeared, but just in case…

ah, that’s why I can open Assembly-CSharp.dll.orig with justdecompile and I can’t open the “normal” Assembly-CSharp.dll?
Well, I actually can but it just remains “freezed” while loading, waited 15 mins then I quit.

Really, I open the Assembly-CSharp.dll and it’s fine (by drag-drop - don’t see why it would change anything).

oh yeah, you’re right…
dunno what I did the first time I tried… :upside_down_face:

Thanks for the advice Jake, but now I’m back to square One, with the same problem Mike CC had.
I run the Injector from Win64, then run the game… And no Mods Folder appears.

So I’m in the Catch 22 of either having a system which will technically run the Mod I want, but which won’t create a Mods Folder to put it in; or a system that will create a Mods Folder, but won’t run the Mod. Aaaargh!

I’m giving up - until not being able to field a more than 8-Man squad irritates me enough to try again. Given how resistant the devs seem to be to closing down the open skills sandbox and other open-ended aspects of this game, I honestly don’t understand why we still have an arbitrary limit on the number of Squaddies you can take on a mission - especially given the number of Crabbies that start turning up (though I’ve never encountered the numbers others have reported).

Sigh…

Not win64 folder, you need the managed folder. Run the Epic local file check to replace the dll the 0.2 injector changed, then try 0.1 injector again. Or just copy that Assembly-Csharp.dll.orig over the modified Assembly-Csharp.dll and rerun the 0.1 injector.

there is no secret…

just (0.1 loader):

Place the contents of the .zip file in your (wherever Phoenix POint is installed)\PhoenixPoint\PhoenixPointWin64_Data\Managed folder. Run the injector .exe.

Run the game to have it generate the Mods folder for the Mod Loader.

Place any mods made for this system inside that folder.

To revert from 0.2 to 0.1 it would be better to erase patched 0.2 (re-put vanilla files) and re-do the process.
Else, I noticed, it wasn’t working (may be wrong but this is what I noticed and so did everything from start)

And that, to the letter - including putting it along with the 4 files listed by Orient Seven in D:\Epic\PhoenixPoint\PhoenixPointWin64_Data\Managed - is what I was doing every time I tried it over the previous week. And when I run the game and come back out again, there is no Mods folder in D:\Epic\PhoenixPoint.

So I tried starting from scratch and downloading the new Mod Injector, which did exactly what it was supposed to do and created a Mods folder in D:\Epic\PhoenixPoint (which 0.1 never has) - but the mod won’t work because it’s configured for the 0.1 Injector, not the 0.2.

Hence my frustration.

There was some talk about the mods folder being created in a wrong location. Like e:\mods or something like that, it’ll still work if you put the mods there. So you may want to check if you have the mods folder in drive root.

Already searched - and sadly not - though thanks for the suggestion.

I’m gonna try creating my own Mods Folder and re-downloading Sheepy’s file to there, but I don’t hold out much hope.

Fixed it!
Turns out Epic had to reverify my files at some point in the process, and that broke the links. I noticed a line in Sheepy’s notes warning me to watch out for that, so I re-ran the Injector & it worked fine this time.
Hurrah!
Thanks to all who tried to help me solve this.

2 Likes

You have to re-run the injector after each patch as well.

I know that now :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

Just reran it and got a message saying I had to ‘revert’ the file.
What does that mean?
I think you can assume that I am computer illiterate :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bring it to The Force. Forget about the Dark Side.

I presume that means it’s already installed i.e. latest patch didn’t change the injected file. If mods still work you’re good to go.

Revert should mean it tries apply a new version, detect a problem and restore version before the update.

Hi folks - sorry for lack of replies - I never got anything to work and haven’t been playing the game much since. Prolly won’t bother looking into this any further until some sort of turn-key modding is introduced.