What I think the biggest mistakes in this game a.k.a feedback on general mechanics

Because you decide who is right or wrong :wink:

Where did i say its wrong? Lets see… Erm. Nowhere. Ive said with your less flexible approach, that makes you happy, disbanded a lots of other possible users while a more flexible approach could make both you and the others happy. It same with the game. You might be ok with less flexibility but that will put down lots of possible customers and dont forget, any much they wanna make a good game, their priority will be the amount of sales…

Again, i said this nowhere :smiley:

First, you came here to argue, this was a feedback to the devs. Of course its open to discussion and you are very welcome to express your opinion but telling me to shut up and stop complaining about something i dont even know yet is not the way imo. Bring your ideas (if you have any), tell how you would like it to be implemented instead but just telling you dont care of my opinion… Well nobody cares :wink:

Dunno, calling it “facts” sounds like the opposite is “wrong”, and was an answer to me doubting the

“facts”.

I would argue that while your point may be true, it could also alienate users because of the added complexity. I am definitely in the class camp. D&D was brought up which has the concept of mixed classes which also might be a thing in PP. Further I think with evolving enemies a rigid class system won’t work at all since it might render your heavy useless if all aliens develop evasion techniques for heavy weapons.

Snapshot has to chose a target audience. They can’t please everyone. There are great class systems and bad perk systems. So far all is just speculation. Let’s wait until we actually get a glimpse of their planned system before complaining one way or the other.

Oh and btw, I am also a 2 button mouse person.

This is true, though added freedom does not necessarily mean added complexity and that can always eased with settings. Like in fallout survival mode is only on hardest difficulty while many other things can simply be ignored.

This is also certainly true, though still their goal is to please the biggest possible audience… Its their decision if the want a fxcom-like nieche or an tftd kind of game people will play 20 years later too…

I see you dont get the point of the analogy :slight_smile: nwm

So you cut together sentences out of context that had nothing to do with it :slight_smile: cool

I just want to say that this is quite possibly the most misleading description that anyone could give about the Firaxis Xcom games. They’ve really put XCom back on the map, have sold millions of copies and been huge success stories. Steamspy estimates the owners of F XCOM 2 at 1-2 million (See: XCOM 2 - SteamSpy - All the data and stats about Steam games) and the first F XCOM at up to 5 million (see: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - SteamSpy - All the data and stats about Steam games) - and these numbers are just for PC users. That’s a pretty big niche. So big that its brought turn based squad games back into the mainstream again. So Vargata, even if Phoenix Point became essentially Firaxis Xcom 3 and your worse fears were realised, the dev team would really be pandering to what the majority of fans want. Now to quell your fears a bit, clearly Phoenix Point will be its own game and will bring lots of new things to the table for us to get our teeth into. I for one am really looking forward to the final version sometime next year and the next backer build.

What I meant by that is that I perfectly understood your analogy. There is a niche for every product. Microsoft went with the 100 Button Mouse for years and won market share with a mediocre product. Apple went with the 1 button mouse and made a great product for a small audience. Well not necessarily the one button mouse itself though.

The point is I totally agree that added freedom doesn’t need to be complex. But it usually is, that’s why it makes sense to hide this complexity from users to not confuse them. This however adds strain on the team and resources. All this freedom has to be designed, implemented, tested and what not. I can see just the class vs a perk system with proper balancing can easily add Months of development time.

My point is Id rather have a great game with some limitations that might be modded or opened up later on (PP2) than a rushed, buggy and unbalanced game with tons of freedom.

1 Like

:slight_smile: can you see the tendency? EU was bought by the fans of old x-com. It has 2-5 mill owners (in the meantime about 1000 daily players) xcom 2 has 1-2 mill owners which is a huge decline (and again a low amount of current users as the game is not replayable due to rigidity) due to the disappointment the first iteration was. I had EU and EW but i dont have xcom2 with this very reason. They have lost 2-3 million customers with poor decisions… in the meantime fallout with also around 2-5 mill owners still have like 30k plyers every day so you can be sure if any of them will release the next game of their franchise, which will sell… And fxcom’s customers are the possible customers for pp too. The more of us feel it a letdown… You know… Thx for proving me anyway

No you dont :slight_smile: you only talk about yourself. The point of the analogy is exactly that those chose the 2 first options are only thinking of themselves :slight_smile:
Btw. Did you play ufo afterlight? A very simple, not at all complicated skillbased system there with huge flexibility… Try it…

I think you’re missing that the first XCOM is also more than 3 years older than XCOM 2. That 3 extra years worth of sales, and some pretty big discounts. The Firaxis XCOM games have a larger player base than X-Com UFO ever did. And if you think it’s all down to original X-Com fans buying the new XCOMs (and certainly, some of them were), our data shows that many XCOM players haven’t even heard of the originals (and believe the Firaxis XCOM games are original).

Vargata is missing another key point as well: most publishers know that releasing a sequel is less risky than launching brand new IP but there is normally a decline in sales as its harder to attract players who didn’t play the original. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the general rule. There’s a point at which it’s better to launch new IP. As usual though Vargata missed the point (Firaxis XCOM is not niche).

So you think xcom 2 will triple its sales in the next 3 years? :smiley: quite some predicton. Jake would love you for it…

Lets say - some…

So many games disagree with you :smiley:
Well… Generally every good game that ever had a sequel disagrees…

Like it or not, it is a niche.

When did I make such a prediction? You’re reading things which aren’t there.

Strategy as a genre is niche. It has been for years.

1 Like

Btw, i wouldnt be sure of this. Just on steam ufo is marked with the same amount of owners like xcom2. Even though its a 20+ yo game. I would wonder how many didnt buy it on steam who had played it during those long years…

You said the difference between xcom eu and xcom2 sales is not a disappointment issue but simply the extra 3 years sales… It means exactly that

Because when you originally bought XCOM on Steam, you got a free copy of all the old X-Com games. They inflate the numbers.

No I didn’t. I was saying that you have to take those 3 years into account because it does affect the numbers.

Anyway, I am closing this thread as it has gotten way off topic.

The thread should be titled “Things I don’t like in this game”. However, you seem to think that if something isn’t the way you like it, then it is a “mistake”. The game isn’t finished yet. It’s far from it. Lots will change.

6 Likes