Using game randomizations to one adventage

Obviously this is NOT for players that like “ironman” *no save-load style.

a) Restart maps if it proves to difficult (use RESTART in options) - randomization is such that in heaven and raid missions it randomizes classes of enemies appearing, often to lower the threat e.g. Living weapons map with few sirens / restart - one siren only. Surely, it will shift to tritons or some other class, but often it lowers difficulty

b) Save before exploring map - Using a lot of load and saves one can quite delay the almost useless ambush missions OR increase exploring of resources, research and even getting some equipment. Also rescue soldiers and scavenge are randomized, so try a lot of load saves if in need, until you get your likes.

Especially early in game, lowering explorations with ambush or nothing found boosts progress. Once you are rich its no longer relevant.

Far better tool to use to avoid the nothing found and no ambush missions outside the fog is the nexus mod, or the mod that feature that and other things.

1 Like

Are they tested not to bug the game with 1.9.3?

Yes, the later actually fixes the game bug that sometimes leaves a character with less than the max perks(3 by default, which can be also expanded with this mod to 7) and it allows the reqruiting of them in the bases, unlike the other mod that made them unhirable if you had more than 3.

1 Like

AFAIK this is intended and not a bug.

1 Like

Really, so you are clad to get a character with 2 additional abilities/personal perks, rather than 3. Yes, it happens, it’s rare, but it happens. This is because there’s an ability that breaks the function that grants them.

No, of course not, but it’s still not a bug, that’s all I wrote.

The devs have stated that the number of 3rd row abilities is random. With the weight towards 3, then 2, then 1. I’m trying to remember if I ever saw 0.

1 Like

I also never saw 1, but probably it is dependant to difficulty? I play only Veteran, as always.

Same here (Veteran), but it does happen. More often seen in the base recruits vs. those from havens. But that may be due to the fact one can’t see the haven recruits’ ability prior to recruiting. If one could, I bet there would be more 1 and 2 ones there as well.

2 Likes

There’s a mod for that. It’s completely untrue. It’s due to a bug in the distribution algorithm.

[quote=“mcarver2000, post:8, topic:12672, full:true”] The devs have stated that the number of 3rd row abilities is random. With the weight towards 3, then 2, then 1. I’m trying to remember if I ever saw 0. [/quote] Somehow I really doubt that they said that. What they probably stated was, the ability location of the 3 abilities is RANDOM, not the amount.

Here it is:

4 Likes