Tips and things you wished you had known

Wow! Thank you so much for this tip. I have been wondering how that works from day 1.

1 Like

ā€œFocus on hybrid soldiers. Snipers and Heavies are a must in this (broken) gameā€ ?
You never used shotguns or what? You should elaborate your opinion, I donā€™t see what you mean, for me itā€™s your comment that is broken, not the game.

So why multiclass is bad?
And why only heavies and snipers matter?

At 4% corrupt level, havenā€™t seen elite yet, Assault and Berzerker are no way trash, and multiclass fits very well to Berzerker.

About Time Limit, XCOM time limit is infinite only at lower difficulties, not at high difficulties.

Itā€™s very hard to balance things without any time limits, I have doubt that a time limit based on difficulty increase from enemies power increase would fit players better.

Infinite time for such type of game tend make vain any choices, you can as well pick all choices, an this tends destroy difficulty.

At least in combats PP is using less time limits in missions than XCOM.

Sniper Rifles have high damage that pierces armor easily.
The heavy class tier 7 skill lets you fire the whole mag for 4 wp and 3 ap.
That oneshot or at least disable every enemy ingame.

Tip
Infiltrator/Assault Soldier with high speed and dash can do steal-research mission solo, within 1-2 rounds without a single shot fired. You still get loot, research and a ton of skill points. Repeatable!!

2 Likes

I actually started dozens of new games too until I realized that black spaces can be used later as well.
Bases with only 2 stone fields seems to be largest, offering 14 small slots, expect if they trap a black field in the corner. The start base can differ there, so itā€™s maybe worth to restart a couple of times if you see 3 stones right away.

DonĀ“t flame people on the forum, just play the game longer and you see why these two classes are the bread and butter in this game!

Distance is your friend, as soldiers have usually better perception than enemies.
Laser weapons are especially great getting hits at long range and on desired body locations. Even the Ares AR-1 seems to be the better choice at beginning than the Bulldog as it more likely lands hits.

Random Perk Guide:

Trooper: more damage and accuracy for the most common class at beginning. Awesome if you can grab it early!

Self Defense: always handy to deal with Mindfraggers or adding an extra 1-AP shot for getting rid of something asap.

Farsighted: More willpower and increased Return Fire range is unquestionable very useful.

Biochemist: rather only useful for burst weapons that can hit most of the time.

Cautious: the extra accuracy should still be worth the little damage reduction.

Close Quarter: Shotguns alone are truly powerful at close range. Obviously useful for Berserkers too. I guess Bash doesnā€™t count as melee weapon.

Healer: this perk is rather a waste early, so you better invest first in 4-2 willpower points.

Bombardier: donā€™t pick it at beginning without any useful weapons to use.

Thief: rather only useful for the Infiltrator-class, as spotted soldiers need all the speed they can get to keep on shooting enemies from either safer positions or as close as possible. Snipers should be able to run quickly too, in particular on ambushes.

Quarterback: better invest 25 points in Speed alone, as you will rather shoot most of the time.

Strongman: canā€™t recommend at all, as perception is too valuable for Return Fire.

Sniperist: better pick this only for dedicated snipers, as willpower is precious.

Reckless: maybe good for melee-only soldiers, for ranged-classes too risky to miss more often. Iā€™m not sure yet how strength points translate into melee damage though.

Question: What is the best mix when choosing a second class?

HOWEVER, there still needs to be the choice here! If you want to have a time pressure thatā€™s fine, but if you like to take your time that should be fine also, what makes it fun for one makes it a pain in the ass for another! You canā€™t just have it one way to suit all NEVER gonna happen, it is that simpleā€¦

There is no ā€œrightā€ answer to this. It all depends on your squad and what you want in it.

If Iā€™m putting them on a Tiamat then my limit is 8 (for that ship), so I like to go 3 snipers, 2 heavy and 3 of whatever. Infilitrators, priests and technicians are all great and have their uses. Hell even beserkers are great too, for the shred ability they have, which is super useful in the battles against Scyllaā€™s.

Yamcha thanks for the more detailed explanation for Sniper, heavy. I didnā€™t noticed the level 7 skill (max is 5 for now). But it doesnā€™t really incapacitate an Assault.

Firstly An assault can take Heavy and only the skill 7 of Heavy without fully morph as Heavy.

Secondly Assault have plenty qualities that havenā€™t an Heavy.

For Bererker, the class mix allows exploit special Bersekr skills that no Heavy/Sniper can do.

So your answer changes nothing, Mix classes is powerfull just focus on sniper and heavy is short sight and in my opinion weak knowledge of combats.

Strongman is one of the most valuable secondaries to me, one of my point characters in multiple plays has been assault/zerk - being able to dash close, at no risk of being mind controlled, and shred ability + heavy weapons can turn a very big guy into a big soft target for others

Distance is classic obvious newbie answer to such tactical combats (with no real close range aspect). But itā€™s most often a perception a bit simplistic, and in my opinion in that games itā€™s no different.

Sure distance is a powerful tool but this game and its tactics is no way limited to that, from far.

Oops, sorry to have generate this feeling. Ok Imā€™ used to Steam forums where more people tend have a harder skin .

But then how about not bash a game, are you sure you are that much an expert of combats? Common.

Reduce the game to two classes, and reject multi class, if you are right, dev are extreme incompetent, frankly itā€™s not at least simplification excess, and quick to say the game is full broken design.

Itā€™s like you use this advice thread, to list what you think broken. I know trolls have a trick to create such thread to hide negative comments on a game, but thatā€™s not the real purpose of such thread, list the bad designs.

Could you elaborate a bit? I felt them all bad, so I didnā€™t want choose any quite soon, but in context it makes no sense to struggle them, so I help them all. But it feels slowdown significantly the relationships increase with factions.

Havenā€™t tried yet choose one and donā€™t intend do it, but I have the feeling that choose two would be the most efficient.

I chose to help to only NJ, because the other factions seemed to tolerate aliens too much. NJ attacked and annihilated all other faction within like a week while I concentrated on lairs, citadels, small ressources missions and so on. Obviously I should have cared more about these enemy havens instead of directly attacking aliens and caring about research :slight_smile:

On this playthrough I am doing my best to keep all the factions sweet, but later I plan to rob them blind.

1 Like

NJ are so fossilesā€¦ A remain of a self-destructing and non-tolerant society. Other factions sees that world is changing, and try to change with it.

BE A MUTANT ANARCHIST ! o/

has anyone ever tried to go to war with all the factions? :smiley:

Time limit is what A LOT of XCOM players hate so its not a sure shot improvement thing, its still your own preference.

1 Like

For me, all 3 facs all deserve to serve under the might of PP or be destroyed trying to go against me muahahaha

2 Likes