So.. It's getting cold and I want to know if this game is ready

Interesting… That’s not been my experience, but maybe that’s cos I play a lot slower than you.

Yes, it can get a bit Long Warish at times - but I love the LWs, so I don’t really mind. So I have 2 teams - the A Team in a Tiamat with a Scarab (until it was destroyed and I just bought an Armadillo), whose job it is to take on the static non-time sensitive missions, because the Tiamat is slow. Then the B Team zips around the map in the Manticore, running Haven Defenc against Pandorans (I leave the Factions to duke it out between themselves, unless one of them picks on a Haven that’s too close to home).

That leaves me with my hands pretty full, so I’m working on the resources to build a third aircraft and send a Stealth Team out to investigate the long-distance Phoenix Story Missions.

All this makes for a very absorbing game - albeit a tad repetitive at times (‘Oh no, not another Haven Defence!’). But then, I like the Long Wars, so I don’t mind repetitive as long as it plays to the theme.

1 Like

Sorry, Reply didn’t register. See post above.

Compare that with XCOM1 and XCOM2 releases makes no sense, there’s always whiners for such tactical games, first it’s too difficult or too easy, second RNG is wrong, third LOS is wrong. For PP it’s hidden by much more significant problems and many more problems.

If you never experienced the difficulty goes totally wild very fast in PP you just don’t know the amplitude of the problem with difficulty management. There are also serious UI problems from bugs to bad designs and polishing missing.

Now I finally understood how avoid difficulty fo wild fast, I finally reach second month and close to second month, but also many characters level 7, I think there’s a high possibility that aspects quoted as OP holes aren’t OP holes, like Rage Burst, are deliberate design. There’s perhaps ways to abuse but it’s not elementary and probably more about balancing better all aspects than a wide nerf to Rage Burst.

Even at Easy and when manipulating auto scaling on purpose to avoid difficulty doing wild, it’s a dam tough game I believe even harder than XCOM1&2 Veteran, which isn’t a good difficulty tuning in my opinion. That said there’s perhaps major aspect I didn’t identified yet, and I include about manipulating even better the auto scaling.

I suffer, it’s harder than I would, I have to endure many UI problems and bugs, but my last campaign has still a lot of fun parts. I have doubts I’ll be able to finish the campaign, probably screw up too much with factions or perhaps I should start consider pick one or two and not all, and steal one or two. So I stay positive and believe there’s a good hope dev will achieve a fair version fairly cleaned (even if not totally) long before a year.

The game is a treasure! By all means get it. I hope it will get even better with the upcoming DLC and patches, just like wine with time :wink:

I completed all the story missions by mid of month 2 on Hero difficulty and after that, its just a drag clicking and waiting for time to pass and just taking wave upon wave of base defense while whichever faction you allied with come up with the ultimate solution… it is very boring and draggy and not in the least bit like long war where there is something you can PROACTIVELY pursuit. In the mid to late game, after you have done all the story missions, the game comes to a passive grind.

There’s a PP end, you need factions and factions war to trigger it?

In the end I refunded it as its clearly broken
Say what you want about epic but they are reasonably professional. Cudos to them for that.

The ui is comic, the optimisation is indie (2060 gtx decent CPU). Frankly it’s clear that the game was rushed out imo.

And it’s a shame because there is a great game here. However again imo if you want to crowd fund then you you have you appreciate that the investors, ie us, are going to be a little critical as it is our money that is being spent.

The lore is great… The gameplay is OK… I’m disappointed and frankly a little annoyed that the game was released in this state.

This should not have been an indie rushed out title it should have been a game that had reasonable funding and a decent development team.

Honestly the only real professional that I saw was @UnstableVoltage and respect to you sir for your professional approach in, I would imagine, difficult circumstances.

Maybe I’ll come back in a year. It’s a shame being critical to a Labour of love… But, come on, this should have been done better. I have a company I understand the concept of bad development.

I wish you, the brilliant lore and the game the best of luck. However unfortunately I am out.

Merry Christmas.

1 Like