Research is a bit crap

This is my main concern as well. The game doesn’t need additional features right now, the core is more than enough, but needs so much balance and tweak and polish

First, i would look in the manufacturing screen, it shows you how many of that item you already have - it should show “2” next to laser sniper rifle.
Then, assuming it does show 2, check the equip screen and disable the filter so it shows you all items (otherwise sniper rifle would not be shown when you are equipping an assault soldier etc.)

If manufacturing screen shows you have 2 sniper rifles in store, but you do not see any on the equip screen even with the item filter disabled, then that probably is a bug.

The best solution here is adding mod support ASAP. Modder can double the content - maps, research projects, weapons, enemies etc., while devs could focuse on dlc that add new mechanics, lice air combat that was already announced. Look at xcom2, where modders make tons of content for free.
Basically, im a modder and im very inspired to try to make stuff for PP, and i knew a lot modders are now playing PP and would be happy to workvon it.