Really Snapshot? Really?!?!?!

I am severely disappointed by the lack of mustache diversity personally. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

ahh fair enough. it just felt very condecending.

They were simple metaphors to get the point across, dont read them so literally. :slight_smile:

that is actually a fair argument. more mustaches please.

wouldnt have said that it was a validcomparison is viable because functionality and artistic look are very different things but agree to disagree.

Again though I think your all reading into it too much. it all boils down to.

“fix all major bugs before DLC” - This is the point that has me riled. I was already upset to fork out £60 for a game that was quite literally unplayable. the extra £4 just felt like a kick in the teeth - surely you can understand that right?

I can agree that game was released in poor state. That is good motivation to refund.

But issue with ‘mission being too far’ is just not convincing me. If you really must play that mission just restart campaign and you will have it sorted. If not, then restart again. Yes, poor design shows up, but it is what randomness of complex game look like. It probably can be fixed with one additional line of code (hopefully), but it is really not big issue right now.

But the issue isn’t just that one mission. All too often it’s one (or even two) faction(s) that’s not present in early game, first faction special missions unreachable, starting in an area with next to none PP bases, etc. One only finds out that they are hosed after hours of game play. No biggie, we screwed up, game over try again. These issues have haunted the game before release. Then to add insult to injury, they offer an add-on, that one pays for, that has the same issue. Again, sorry about that, scrap the time you wasted and start all over again.

I can understand why some, who spent their cash, feel upset. It’s like plunking down the ante in a poker game, only to find out the deck doesn’t have all 52 cards. And, only the dealer gets a winning hand. Hey that was fun, want to ante up again?

3 Likes

Exactly. What if deck is not even half full? One card missing is not a biggie. :wink:

It is, if it’s the card needed for a winning hand.

1 Like

Exactly! mcarver!!! Finally someone who gets what im trying to say!

Yokes… the point is… if you have played a few hours into a campaign before the problem arises… do you just throw away those hours?

“If you really must play that mission just restart the campaign”

What if someone wanted to play on max difficulty and bad location spawn is the kinda thing that ruins a run… imagine having no control over losing. like turning up in the middle of a warzone with a water pistol. you might be sick at getting people wet but bullets dont care :smiley:

Omg. Haven’t you read what I have written above? You won’t miss almost anything if you won’t go to that mission. But if you really want to see those building, those few specific randomly generated units, this flavour text before and after the mission… then get used to restart the campaign. It is similar to this issue: “I missed producing 5 dropships in first month, I need to restart, because this run wasn’t perfect.”

But going to that mission is not necessary to win the game. Even distant missions which limit your reputation with a faction shouldn’t cause you loosing the game.

But yes. This is strategy, many aspects lead to win. If some of them won’t go right, get used that you will need to restart campaign, because simple ‘load last save from FPS game’ won’t work here. I’m not sure what games you guys are playing but in complex strategy games you sometimes need to give up, accept those lost hours and start again.

PS. I hope that Snapshot will sort out spawning locations of these missions soon, as this is needed fix. But really keep calm guys and wait for it. I will repeat myself ‘This is not a biggie’.

2 Likes

Not sure what strategy games you have been playing… because in the ones ive played over the last 20 years you don’t restart campaigns because of a bug.

I think we should agree to disagree because you just aren’t grasping the concept at all…

1 Like

If you call it a bug… I call it extreme RNG. Ok I get it. You really want to see that mission. My bad, forgive me my intellectual indolence. Now let me focus on writing feedback about Phoenix Point. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great, have it both ways. Which in my book, neither are winning hands, just a hand with 5 jokers.

Oh please, this particular mission is really not worth it to argue this way. I think we almost agree that this behavior with the early missions at the other end of the world is at least a very questionable design decision from snapshot if not a bug. I personally don’t think it is a bug but for me definitely a bad design decision. Overall I don’t like these things on the strategy layer with mostly reaction based decisions by the player and to much RNG driven. On the other side, you only get real downsides for your play through if you don’t do the right decision for a given situation, that’s RNG-driven-XCOM baby :wink:

@Milny86 or any other that struggles with this mission but really want to complete the run without restarting the campaign and without missing any of the DLC content, here are some hints from my runs with this DLC (attention, this part spoilers something. For all others: you don’t have to restart the campaign, there are ways to get the content even without completing this mission):

DLC behaviors !!!SPOILERALARM!!!

The first contact to the Pure: You get asked to steal a new tech from NJ from an unknown heavily augmented and suspect person. If you will go with NJ you shouldn’t accept to do this because you will lose some reputation by completing this mission. The mission is the same as the normal research stealing mission, not really worth to arguing about only for that. If anyone really miss exactly this, then simply go to a NJ heaven with a research facility, steal a tech and you have almost the same (but to be fair, with more loss of reputation). If you don’t do this mission and you’re aligned to NJ you get this tech as soon as NJ completing this research and this way without doing it by your own (it takes quite long if you do it by yourself early in the game). Completing this research gives you access to the first of three rows of bionic augmentations.

The second row is independent from completing this first mission or research and will trigger some time later (AFAIK at the moment when NJ complete the Technician research), also with a mission in a NJ heaven but this time without losing reputation. This mission will trigger without a choice, but at this time in the game you should be able to reach the heaven more easily and if not then you probably run into bigger problems for your run than just missing this particular mission. Again, if you align to NJ then you will get the result automatically when NJ complete this research or if you’re in an alliance with them you can start it by your own, the mission is not really required but this time a unique one.

The third row, the Synedrion one, triggers with a mission after completing one of these two researches or when Synedrion starts or finished this research by themselves (here I’m not really sure, but they definitely research it at some point). This is also a unique mission and also a pretty difficult one.

Again, there is always the choice to do these missions or not. If anyone can’t do these, then they can always get the needed tech by stealing it from NJ and/or Synedrion or align/alliance with them. There is no real “locked” content, only the way to get them is different. But to be fair, the missions are shortcuts to get these bionic techs somewhat earlier if you focus your research on them.

At least, completing any of these three bionic researches also gives you access to the bionic facility which is needed to augment your soldiers.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Hi Milny86,
This reloading a previous save does work. But like a lot of these things it doesn’t always. I had a playthrough starting in N.America where everything spawned in Austrailia and the one that was in S.America was cut off entirely due to there being no waypoints that connected. So sometimes you just have to sigh and start again. So try a couple of times from either the previous autosave or a good hard save. I tend to save AFTER every exploration result. It’s something i use to ensure diplomatic missions (Especially the early ones) spawn somewhere half way sensible. Yes I agree there is a problem with where the campaign puts these missions if you have to go back and make it choose again. But it is a viable work around until they tweak it. So yeah maybe come back in a couple of months or keep an eye on here. You get a pretty good idea what the story is both good and bad. Gears and Chimera sqaud are out and Battletech is worth a go to keep that sqaud tactics itch scratched. I’ll be hammering away at PP, screaming blue murder at the 4th ambush in 6 missions.

Interesting. For me it was a cakewalk. Much easier than mission for second row.

I forgot to mention that I almost have pretty small squads of 2 or 3 soldiers on veteran difficulty, this changes the difficulty range of some missions hardly and particular this one as long you are not go to be mostly inactive in the beginning and let them fight against each other.
… enough spoilers :wink:

Ok then. For me it was like that (spoiler):

I wasn’t inactive. First I took out synedrion lvl 7 snipers, then went for Pure (they were little bit engaged with Syn Aspida, but it wasn’t quite important). But I went there with 5 lvl 6 man squad. :slight_smile:

Seems to me the OP is making two different points, one of which is very valid IMO, the other less so.

The perfectly valid point is that Snapshot screwed up the original basic design and then doubled-down on that by not fixing it in the DLC. They seem fixated on procedural generation, presumably because they see this as a way of making every game different - but by applying absolutely no limits to this, the RNG sometimes puts missions you want to do on the other side of the map, or even in inaccessible places.

Where I have less time for the rant is the idea that they aren’t doing anything about it. It has taken time - too much time in most people’s opinion - but Snapshot have acknowledged that this is a problem on Canny and are working on a solution. They appear to be using a hammer to crack a nut IMO, by completely overhauling the base & mission generation system rather than simply adding a line of code saying: ‘If Mission is more than ?20 spaces away, then distance goes and equals 20 spaces.’ But then I’m not a programmer, so maybe I’m missing something.

As for ‘wasting personnel on producing DLC before the base game is fixed’, UV has pointed out on many occasions that the personnel roles within the Bug-fixing and DLC teams are very different. As I say, I’m not a programmer, but to use an analogy from TV which I know well: the Scriptwriter, Researcher, Cameraman and Soundie are completely superfluous when it comes to editing (ie. programming) the story - so should I fire them and hire nothing but Editors to fix the current cut, or should I be employing them in generating the storyline and other material for the DLC sequels, while my Editors get on with making the current cut work?

4 Likes

Think you read into it a bit too much. It is onyl the first point im referring to just making the one point really which was the first one… and yes… the hammer cracking the nut is about right!

I never mentioned about wasting personnel on DLC. Its just that you should wait to fix the problem before releasing it… I am in no position to comment on personnel because I don’t know the intricacies of the business.