Phoenix Point: Year One Edition coming December 3rd

That is exactly what I mean, maybe I was not clear enough to get this point. The result is the same, the game is given away by Epic and the not the IP holders.
But I assume that Epic has something in their contracts, so that something like this is not really without the knowledge of the IP holders.

Edit:
And so I come back to this:

It is not really unrealistic, especially from Epic.

I was one to defend the Epic Store and thought their highly agressive free-games-as-advertising campaign was a really interesting stab at Steam, but by now the EGS should simply be a better store. I’m just waiting for my Phoenix Point Steam Key to close the EGS.

Free games are great, of course, but there just comes a time when you realize a) you don’t have time to play them, so they just stack in your library, and b) if I had the time, those wouldn’t be games I would pick anyway, as I tend to go more for the indie scene (Phoenix Point, Solasta, Tenderfoot Tactics), and those tend to stick their foot in Steam.

All said, EGS is not much more than a Steam blueprint copy, and I tend to believe that, given a couple of years, the real competition to Steam will be Stadia. Stadia, as a store, is even worse than EGS, but streaming games is the future.

1 Like

Epic Game Store is still “Steam gone bad” and limited :slight_smile: While I liked it offered PP quite cheap at a time ($20 or similar) I doubt they will continue doing so for PP. They simply have more titles to go and probably more exclusives.

Google Stadia is interesting for the future and makes it all to Internet speed, relatively weak hardware can do HD streaming. This might handy for people that cannot cope to newer games demands and constant PC upgrades. Different league, but for poorer half of the planet might be only choice.

disclaimer: this is a TOTALLY off-topic post :stuck_out_tongue:

Google Stadia was born dead, totally wrong business model. It needs a total revamp to stay competitive. The king of streaming for now will be xbox cloud. Together with their games subscription service (via download, not streaming, for both xbox and PC, with a very big catalog), its price, and (why not) also the possibility of paying a bit more per month and getting a next-gen console… there’s currently no other service that can compete with this. It’s the only real “netflix” of games, even more than that.

Let’s hope Sony’s and Google’s services, as well as others, get a revamp to be able to compete.

In the meanwhile, Epic is struggling to get even a more-than-basic store client, BUT they have a ton of money, as does Valve/Steam. You can be sure they’re working towards streaming platforms of their own, or maybe making deals with other streaming services.

1 Like

It is, isn’t it? My bad, I haven’t been playing Phoenix Point for quite some time, and only came to the forums after receiving news of Arkham’s patch

Yeah but I was referring to my own post, no worries :slight_smile:

I know this is a silly question but I have received the Backers email giving me a free key for the Year one Edition. I currently have the game on Epic, does this mean I should choose Epic. Or is this a second Key I can get on either Steam or GoG?

Robin.

1 Like

Ayyyy! GOG confirmed

Heads up Phoenix operatives! We’re coming to @GOGcom!

Excited to announce #PhoenixPoint: Year One Edition will also be available on https://t.co/Ry2vVotXEx this December 3rd.

Stay tuned for more updates as we head into our final two-week stretch! pic.twitter.com/PuAaQEFanH

— Phoenix Point (@Phoenix_Point) November 17, 2020

It’s your choice.

1 Like

Have all the backer mails been sent? I’m day 1 backer and didn’t receive anything

yes, I did get an email with a survey. Check your spam/marketing folder perhaps?

2 Likes

Yes, it fell into my Promotions folder. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Does anyone have a quick rationale with Steam vs GOG being better? I use both and apparently Epic Games Store :rofl:, but I keep getting the impression that people think that there is a big meaningful difference between them. Is there really?? I’ve used Steam since 2004 and occasionally use GOG because of all the old game.

1 Like

By this point my rationale is that Epic already had more than enough time to put up a proper store, and they are failing it. I have no problem with EGS and thought the whole rage regarding the Epic deal was such a stupid thing (people that didn’t even play PP or wanted to play were coming just to trash Snapshot), but the store itself is weak and missing so many features.

2 Likes

Well, Steam overall has more to offer - in-build community, guides, steam cards, badges etc. It also has nowadays a good return policy, allowing to return any game within 14days if played for less then 2 hours. I don’t care much for community features though. The biggest boon on steam for me, is robust controller support, and if I even get a TV I will probably connect my PC and take advantage of the big picture.

In spite of that, GOG is my shop of choice, unless I care about controller support. Single biggest advantage is their DRM free policy - if you are fearful of buying games and only buying temporary access to them, GOG is the way to go. Every game can be backed up and requires no internet connection to play. If GOG ever goes under, your games are yours to keep. While Steam caught up in many aspects, GOG used to offer some valuable features first - they had refunds before steam did for example. And I just like them as company - getting rights to old titles, ensuring everything runs as well as it can on modern systems. There is quite a bit of restoration work being done, hunting for old IPs. That is something I respect and appreciate a lot. There is bunch of older titles I wasn’t able to experience until GOG re-released them. Unlike steam, GOG is curated platform, and I feel safer buying from them. Again, however, Steam refund policy made that somewhat irrelevant.

More recently, they allowed to integrate all other platforms through GOG Galaxy, which made them my default platform. it doesn’t quite solve the problem of having to launch games through 5 different clients, but it helps a lot in managing a vast library. So, by default I prefer to have a game on GOG, so I can launch it directly through GOG Galaxy, and on top of that I just like their customer friendly policy. So whenever I can I buy from their store.

2 Likes

It mostly depends on what you want from a client. Personally I want it to launch a game, backup my saves, keep my games up-to-date and GTFO. No need for embedded Chromium and other insanities.
Or what you want from a company.

My priorities are

1. DRM should burn, anyone working on one is an asshole and should never touch a keyboard again
  2. Devs get paid
  3. Linux support

There are other things, but these are the main ones. It mostly results in me buying games (in that order) on GOG (hardline no DRM, 30% cut), EGS (no DRM by default, 12% cut, work on alt. publishing models), Steam (DRM in itself, 30% cut, great work on Proton, Mesa, ACO…). Linux work being the only reason I haven’t blacklisted Steam altogether. EGS exclusivity bothers me but it’s limited and how else do you deal with a de facto extortionist monopoly.

1 Like

Devs get paid

I’d say that point has been taken care of by the Epic exclusive deal, and Snapshot Games now being acquired by Embracer Group.

1 Like

I was just looking on Steam for the upcoming release and noticed that the minimum and maximum specification requirements on it were different from on the EGS (they’ve increased a little). So does that mean that the changes will require a more powerful machine, or that Snapshot are playing it safe? I’m curious to know what other people think?

Just a vague guess:
Perhaps the additional requirements for the Steam overlay will be added to the Steam version. This overlay always runs alongside with all of its functionality. As far as I know, the EGS Launcher doesn’t have anything like that.
But I don’t know how much additional power is necessary for the Steam overlay and whether that really makes this difference in the requirements.