More variety of weapon types

I’d really like to see a decent variety of weapon types available in Phoenix Point. Rather than just the exact same basic assault rifle that every solider comes packaged with in Xcom, it’d be nice to see too see a Russia squad member using an AK-101 and an American using a M4A1 whilst an Austrian rocks up with a Steyr AUG… and so. Even if this was just cosmetic it would be nice and add some flavour to the game, but even nicer would be if the different weapon types had slightly different stats such as; aim percentages, range, clip size, and reload speeds.

The same could apply for pistols, sniper rifles etc, and when even when new technologies are discovered I could see different PP factions developing different versions of the equivalent weaponry.

1 Like

Agreed. At the very least, we should have different guns per faction(including PP themselves), including the basic weaponry available from the start so that we will be able to trade, loot or manufacture the ones we prefer the most.

1 Like

I think this is more of a thing for modders, it doesn’t feel like a very efficient use of developer time to make a bunch of flavor models. I think some games benefit a lot from this kind of variety, but I doubt PP is one of them. I would rather have the time and expense invested in other areas, with more of an impact on game quality.

2 Likes

Well, for what it’s worth, factions are already expected to have distinct look to their equipment and even distinct tech trees so having different arsenals per faction is not something unreasonable to look forward to. As for variety within the factions themselves(i.e. several guns of the same type and tier per faction), yeah, I don’t have high hopes here. Still, it’s not a crime to ask. :wink:

2 Likes

I think it would be nice to see some distinct styles or preferences regarding weapons in each faction, even if differences would be mostly cosmetic.

1 Like

It doesn’t necessarily need to be just cosmetic; there’s plenty of design space to make variants to the same general types of weapons without them being strict upgrades: damage, accuracy, bullets per burst, bursts per reload, armor penetration/shred, weight, AP costs, abilities, even durability. It probably doesn’t deserve the highest priority by the developers, but it’d make for a nice polish to the gameplay when they’re in the midst of final balancing.

3 Likes