Load ans Save Time Inconsistent

I have noticed that I can save a game rather quickly; takes maybe five seconds, however loading that same game can take upwards of 45 to 90 seconds! Why the difference?

In fact, PP loads quite slowly - from the point I click the icon to my soldiers first move generally takes about 3-5 minutes - after loading the game and then loading my last save.

It’d be nice if PP would take steps to make the game load faster.

And maybe while they’re at it they could stop those random map rotations that sometimes happen when I save.

at the beginning? why do you think that loading time is/should be connected with ANY way with saving time?

@Hugh_Jasdic, saving a game may be only writing data to a (maybe) small file. On the other hand, loading a save at first is similar - reading data from a small file - however to get that game state on your screen a lot of other things may have to be loaded, even from the hard drive / ssd which is orders of magnitude slower than main memory and processor cache.

Loading times may be improved by a number of techniques, but you should never expect them to be the same as saving time.

The game loads a ton of stuff (some of which is then unloaded as it is not needed or to reduce memory use). Take a look at the Player.log in the main game folder. There is also the layer of the debug program that is loaded as well. Looking at the log, it does look as if loading is not really optimized.

saving a game may be only writing data to a (maybe) small file. On the other hand, loading a save at first is similar - reading data from a small file - however to get that game state on your screen a lot of other things may have to be loaded, even from the hard drive / ssd which is orders of magnitude slower than main memory and processor cache.

EDITED - please do not resort to personal attacks

Seriously dude, I can only assume that you misinterpreted my post somehow. I was trying to help explaining why it may be like this - I’m a developer. Maybe you are too or maybe not but you know how things work, but I assumed you didn’t, it was just that. Also, I said at the end that it could be improved, but not to the same level as a save.

Text does not convey intent very well and on this one you really understood it wrong.

EDITED - please do not resort to personal attacks

You’re either very young or have problems and I won’t be wasting my time, I feel sorry for you.

1 Like