OK, first of all, if anyone can think of a better topic title, all suggestions welcome.
Here is a thing that has been bugging me to no end in PP - why do all direct fire weapons have their accuracy improved at shorter ranges up to and including when the target is adjacent to the shooter? It’s obviously unrealistic and there is nothing in the game mechanics that mandates this.
Quite the opposite, it would seem that if different weapon types had different limitations each would become more useful for different situations. This would address the current sniper supremacy and the melee lameness.
So this is what I submit for comments & consideration:
- Targets adjacent to the shooter:
- Sniper rifles and heavy weapons are too unwieldy for that, so they can’t be shot at all.
- AR and shotguns can be shot with an accuracy penalty.
- SMG and handguns shoot without penalty.
- Melee weapons, after hitting, lock the target in place, so if target moves away it receives another blow.
- Target not adjacent but very close to the shooter (within, say, 4 tiles?)
- SR and HW shoot with a big accuracy penalty.
- AR, shotguns, SMG, handguns shoot without accuracy penalty.
- Target close to the shooter (4-10?) tiles
- SR shoots with an accuracy penalty.
- All other weapons shoot without penalty
I have excluded some weapon types (crossbow, virus, acid, etc.) to avoid complicating things, but you get the idea.
I think this has the potential to solve many issues, in addition to establishing some clearer roles for each soldier class.