Infection Control

I’ve had a quick look around on the forum topics but can’t see anything pertaining to this subject in particular and thought it might be worth having a discussion about, hopefully @UnstableVoltage can weigh in on this if he has any information.

Title gives most of it away really - do we know how infection will work in terms of the game mechanics? Obviously in the scenario available in the backer build it’s not currently an issue due to all the NJ soldiers already being infected. I’m just curious as to what we can expect from future versions of the game. Will we need to protect our troops from infection on missions? What happens if they get infected? Is the entire base at risk if one soldier comes back infected? Will we have some way to control it?

There’s probably at least a dozen other questions I could ask in relation to this subject. Just hoping to gain some insight as to what we should expect, if the information is currently available that is. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

From what we played in BB and read from the briefings, I would say it must be something like a vampire or a zombie’s bite. The difference, in this case, is that the infected will be taken over by some kind of overmind, a central brain which commands all the mutants strategies.

This was discussed in another thread, but I would make it as the soldiers slowly turning away from their humanity, like you have 7 or 8 turns until they completely mutate. So, do you kill the infected soldier on the spot, or try to carry on with him because he’s still an asset? The infected soldier can gain new abilities, but at the same time the comrades will start to loose willpower seeing the mutation,

1 Like

pretty sure the exact details are still being worked out. The stories have made reference to Purity Screenings, so there is that.

If I’m recalling correctly the chance for getting infected is partially tied to willpower, ie the lower their willpower, the easier it is for a soldier to get infected. After that, the time it takes for the infect to control the soldier is unknown, and would depend on the strain of the PV

1 Like

Didn’t someone mention that during mission you won’t loose soldier to PV but you will have to deal with it in your base and there you can have mission with rebelling soldier? Probably unless you will create some cages/cells for them to contain.

1 Like

I think at one point :drstroud: mentioned in a radio show that the mist has a chance to take control of your soldiers if their willpower gets too low. But that was a while ago, they might have changied it.

Take control yes but I don’t think about it as an instant mutation and loosing soldier. Probably with stun you still can save that soldier. But I may remember wrong that interview.

1 Like

I could see it’s mechanic used as a time limit evolution as someone who spams overwatch. (disclaimer: waaaaaayyyyy too much)

1 Like