Improve mist so that it evolves different properties

As the game progresses, the mist should acquire new properties, their rate of appearance and number determined by the difficulty level (so, for example, limb regrowth should only appear on the higher difficulty levels, and on lower difficulty levels mist should have no more than 2-3 properties, each one appearing after a long period of time).

The idea is that as time progresses each new mist property has a random chance (possibly influenced by player’s behavior) of appearing. These properties can be further organized in Tiers, with the Tier 1 properties being the easier to handle by the player and the Tier 3/4 the hardest.

Also, there should be a low-tier Chiron and low-tier Arthon that can launch mist bombs.

Some ideas on new mist properties:

• Rolling mist: the mist moves each turn in a random direction determined at the start of the mission.

• Dampening mist: units inside the mist don’t make any sound (no red ping appears when they move or shoot) and they are unaffected by sound attacks (War Cry, Sonic Boom grenades).

• Sticky mist: starting the turn inside the mist reduces mobility of humans by half, and running through it costs twice as many movement points

• Hallucinogenic mist: Mist generates fake enemies that are indistinguishable from real ones, but can’t hurt the player. They disappear after one turn.

• Thick mist: human perception and accuracy inside the mist reduced by 50%

• Regenerative mist: disabled body parts of Pandoran units and mutated body parts of humans restored with 20% of their HPs

• Healing mist: Pandoran units and humans with mutations heal 100HPs per turn inside the mist.

• Detox mist: removes paralysis and cures poison (from Pandorans and humans).

• Oppressing mist: humans who start the turn inside the mist, or use abilities while on a tile covered by mist have WP cost of abilities doubled.

Created a ticket on Canny: https://phoenixpoint.canny.io/feedback/p/improve-mist-so-that-it-can-evolve-different-properties

4 Likes

It would need to be tier 3/4, as I don’t see mist as so dense and material “thing”. In lore there wasn’t anything like this.

Would it create enemies outside of itself? Because inside of mist they are invisible if you don’t stand near them - it would be kind of tricky illusion. Would our soldiers need to be touched by this mist to affect them in such way?

I’m not sure if percentage is proper way to handle it… Imagine Chiron or Scylla regenerating 20% of HP on their body parts… Quite a lot!

If we try to play power fantasy then why not, but if we will try to make game more tactical with toned down damage, constant healing of 100 HP could be little bit too much.

Instantly negate whole effect? Or maybe just decrease them each turn by some factor? EDIT: And why on humans? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I imagine this as the enemy being created inside the mist and then stepping out of it into view. So you wouldn’t know if it was a real enemy hiding there or if it’s an illusion. In lore terms, I think it’s a combination of some exogenous effect (toxic particles easily transmitted through the air? Telepathy?) and the facility with which mist can act as a generator of illusionary effects.

So no, the soldiers would not have to touch the mist, but there could be counters.

Yes, you are perhaps right.

Also true. How about 50HPs?

Probably the second.

I think it can create an interesting choice for the player, and it can be explained away lore-wise.