Heavy Cannon - Hel II feedback

That was amazing! Especially with factions you didn’t really care about

It would be amazing if you could kill all the aliens by dropping buildings on them. Bonus points for dropping watchtower on the queen :slight_smile:

:rofl: That would be gold!

Drop the guns lads… we are going in with rockets and grenades only

I still fondly remember the time I was on an alien nest clearing mission, and I took a shot with a Hel II at an enemy. It missed – and then plowed clean through the solid rock wall behind it, flew over empty space, and hit a crabman standing far on the other side that I couldn’t even see. This cannon is POWERFUL.

1 Like

“Oh, you think you’re going to shield yourself from me with that lump of crabshell? That is so cute.

BOOM

1 Like

While the Hel Cannon is a lot of fun when it hits something, it is so inaccurate that I often find myself giving my heavy an assault rifle or something as soon as I practically can.
The 3 ap cost combined with the heavy’s armour just makes it impossible to get into range to even use the thing! Most of the enemies I face in the early game are about 1 or 2 wave of crabmen that the Hel has some utility against, but the AI seems to very swiftly phase them out for sniper Tritons in every playthrough I’ve done.
I’m not saying the Hel cannon needs to be changed or removed, but in its current form it doesn’t really have a lot of utility. I imagine it might be useful against some sort of boss monster, but it often fails to hit even a sentinel at a modest range.

2 Likes

Considering the Heavy Jump is 3 AP, I think the devs could make the heavies weapons 2 AP to fire and be OK with it.

My heavy is my most useless unit, I use it to scout and to jump+bash.
After you MC into Assault is becomes less bad, since he can now move (more than 1 AP) and shoot.

1 Like

Is the Hel Cannon not considered a heavy weapon? I swear when I try the willpower thing that improves range and reduces AP for grenades, heavy weapons, and mounted(?) that it stays at 3 AP. For 5 WP that is kinda ridiculous.

1 Like

Give him grenade launcher. It will have more utility against small enemies (especially in the mist) than heavy cannon.

Because it is weapon to fight bigger monsters on medium range or to have a punch on close range vs small but dangerous enemies.

Then it would double fire in one turn. 360 damage per turn ommiting all armors would be too much overpowered.

It is heavy weapon but it is projectile, not explosive weapon. Probably 2 persons were designing Boom Blast skill. One designed it and coded it to work with explosive weapons, and second wrote skill description to include all ‘heavy weapons’ and ‘mounted weapons’ instead of ‘explosive weapons’. I can bet that ‘Deceptor’ Machine Gun and ‘Dante’ Flamethrower also don’t benefit from that skill along with ‘Hel II’ Heavy Cannon.

1 Like

Right sorry, I should have said it doesn’t have a lot of utility in the early game, for a weapon you get by default for your heavy.
Having an anti-kaiju cannon doesn’t really help vs the arthroids and tritons you fight early on, and it’s difficult to even get the cannon into close range when the person carrying it is so slow.
Personally, I think heavies should start with the grenade launcher. You could have the Hel cannon there for when you want to build one later on.

3 Likes

I just can’t get value out of the Heavy due to movement and AP usage, I feel like if jump pack used more Will Points and one less movement point I could at least get the occasional short off on him, but right now he just doesn’t level.

1 Like

Use grenade launcher instead of heavy cannon.

I tend to avoid the GL, since it’s still way OP. And the Hell Canon is just too much fun when it hits

It is not so much OP right now. Damage was decreased nicely.

Extreme long range, perfect precision and damage effect: “Oh, I see you have nice weapon there. It would be shame if someone would remove it along with your arms, legs, head, car and social number just with one single grenade”. Even if damage output isn’t the best, it renders enemies useless, bleeding to death.

You can even shoot over walls of nest caves, so it has nice pass through ceiling effect.

I was going to reply pretty much what @Nattfarinn already said. Even if the damage is not that great, there’s still a pretty good chance for the grenade to either destroy a weapon or the arm carrying the weapon.

1 Like

Guys, but it is only effect on Crabmen (or Arth-something - how now they call them). Tritons with more armored body parts and enemy soldiers will hold out one such grenade. Their weapons probably not as damage model to equipment looks like bugged right now.

But hey. What do you prefer with heavy guy? Not hit anything for most of the time or hit them easily and gain xp? :wink: It will change when explosive weapons will become innacurate, but it is how it is right now.

PS. I don’t have a problem with Hel accuracy, as from previous builds I have learned that I need to train speed for Heavy and get more personal with enemies and then Hel and Deceptor are working fine. I was just advising those who prefer more safe style of gameplay.

I really wish the cannon was more accurate, I stopped using it. Had my heavy with Shotgun and Rifle combo. Now Grenade launcher/rifle combo.

1 Like

I prefer the Hel Canon, really. That THOOM is so satisfying when it hits. Measuring pros and cons is always a reality with these kind of games, so I put my Heavy with all the speed stats and rush him face to face with the enemy

They are great for one shots, but it seems hard to consistently get them into position to hit. The Hel II soldier is currently firing at about 1/4 of the number of times as the rest of my squad. I’m considering just changing out the weapon.

2 Likes

You haven’t used it much, am I right? Because it does wonders on tritons - few body parts destroyed, instant 40 bleed damage, equipment destroyed. It incapacitates even heavy armored Independent soldiers (the ones with 35+ armour). It doesn’t kill them, it doesn’t do much part damage (yet it shreds armor so it is still useful considering long-term raw damage output per turn). But it does destroy everything they wield in a single shot. You can punch them to death because they can’t do anything without weapons. I agree it’s not that OP vs ie. Siren, because she doesn’t wield anything and her body parts have much HP so single grenade isn’t enough (but throw another one and you can forget about her). But I wouldn’t say that weapon isn’t OP because it doesn’t one-shot everything.

Nerf is a must. Like severe grenade scatter on long range shots to keep it powerful but less reliable. And/or reduce damage to armored parts and equipment (equipment isn’t armored at all right now), like double the armour value or apply flat bonus before damage calculation. Or gate it behind mid-game research.