First my Specs:
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1 Build: 19043.1320
Graficcard: NVidia GeForce 1080Ti vers: 496.49
Prozessor: Intel(R) Core™ i9-7920X CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 MHz, 12 real cores
BIOS-Version/-Datum: American Megatrends Inc. 3201, 04.09.2020
BaseBoard-Produkt: ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288) @ 3600MHz
Drive: Samsung 960 PRO (512GB, M.2 2280)
Drive: Samsung 860 EVO Basic (2000 GB, 2.5")
Drive: 2x Seagate FireCuda (1TB, 3.5") RAID0 System
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DSX
Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX 300 2. Gen.
Screen:Acer Predator X38P
Standard Resolution: 3840x1600

DxDiag:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-14736395/DxDiag.txt.html

The Prob:
Since I bought the Game I never reached the mainmenue after gamestart. The game freezes my whole system just in the moment it want’s to load the mainmenue.
Also if I don’t cut the Intro, it will freeze after the half of the Introsequence.

(I wrote also in Steam Discussion)

I really hope for quick help, so that I don’t need to do a refund. thx, devs :slight_smile:

If you haven’t yet, may be worth it to send the logs to the support, check this post for more details:

1 Like

Thank you for your replay.

I have no folder “crashes” and no files “output_log.txt” in folder: C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\LocalLow\Snapshot Games Inc\Phoenix Point
The only files there are named: Player.log and Player-prev.log
Also I have the Folder Steam there in. In it is no file output_log.txt too.

But I can imagine why. Because the whole system freezes imideately after the described circumstances above. So how the program should be able to write down a log if the system is frozen?
Thats why I’m also not able to use F10
Just off the computer and cold boot will help to free.

First try to force maximum frame rate on your graphics card to 60? I don’t remember if it was done by disabling or enabling Vertical Sync in setting of your graphics card.

Then maybe try to remove all overclocking on your computer parts. Haven’t seen post about it for quite long time, but game could pump PC components to its full potential, and it overheated them, thus causing system crash.

If that doesn’t help then try to install most new DirectX and at least couple of new Visual C++ Redistributalbles.

2 Likes

I did the nvidia framelock set to 60 but it does not change anything. It’s always at the same point, while starting to load the main menue directly after starting the game, where the system get frozen.
I don’t overclock my system.
As far as I know there is no manual download/instal possibility for directx
My windows is up to date

Following is not a technical statement but maybe helps looking and try flashing out on a other corner about the game/my system constallation to find the problem:
I play games like New World, Elite, X4 etc. at max. grafic details by res of 3680 with excellent frames by acceptable temps for hours.
So I can barely believe that my system should be overheated by just simply loading the mainmenue of the game directly after launch.

Maybe the game has a problem with my screen? Is there a config or a way where I can set the starting option of the game manually before launch?

Yes there is config file with player options. Maybe someone will post it’s location.
Probably this one:
C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Snapshot Games Inc\Phoenix Point\GOG\Saves\Options.jopt

I don’t doubt that you can play all these games on ultra setting without a sweat. But many games are better optimized. And from what I heard New World had similar problem in the game menu. Not during gameplay. Of course this may not be the case.

Change ‘GOG’ with the store/launcher you have the game from → ‘EGS’ for Epic or → ‘Steam’ for Steam. These two have no ‘Saves’ subfolder but one with a long numer (I guess some UID thing).
This config file is a bit cryptic and I didn’t found any setting for display resolution. On the other hand I know of some players that use 4k resolutions, so this should not be a problem.

This file should have some infos about the game start and also problems will be reported there. I would suggest that you send this file with a description of your problem to the already mentioned e-mail support@snapshotgames.com.

Maybe @Valygar from the snapshot staff could help out a bit more.

What exactly is the freeze? Is it bluescreen? Is it blackscreen? Does it freeze the entire system?

I would try to change your resolution to for example 1920*1080 which is the highest one you can choose in-game and see what it does.

I would also try to install the latest Microsoft Redistributable as I remember it helped some people with black screen on launch: Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Docs

Output_log.txt was the name of the log in older Unity versions. In current Unity version it is named player.log and player-prev.log but it is the same thing. So please send us these files and we will look into them but I cannot guarantee we will find a solution.

The logs can be found here: C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\LocalLow\Snapshot Games Inc\Phoenix Point and you can send them to support@snapshotgames.com or via PM here on the forums.

Did you check both directories for the crash dumps? One of them is LocalLow and the other one is Local/Temp. If you find crash dumps please send them as well.

1 Like

I like to thank you all for your support!
I will send the files I found to the devs ans will see what the suggest me to do.
About installing files I have a bad past experience because I had to install windows new after that at this time. So I will wait until the response first.

@Valygar the freeze I described above means that the system is no more responding to any command (mouse, keyboard). The only way to unlock is to off the computer and do a cold boot (in my case. reset would be possible but I dont insert the pin for this function :sweat_smile: )
edit: no blue or black screen. Everything freezes how it is at this moment.

So, I solved the problem (hope permanently).
It was the resolution of 3840x1600
I reduced my windows res to 1920x1080 and started the game with no problems. Then I changed the game resolution in the video options to 3840x1600.
After I changed back my windows res and it seems to run… I will go ingame now and see if more than ony the mainmenue will work… so if I don’t come back here, all is fine.
Thank’s again for the help, guys!
And who knows… maybe the game will recieve a little more care for 4K res or 38" monitor support in future :slight_smile:

1 Like

One wonders if there are issues with cut scenes at the higher resolutions.