[Feedback][Spoiler] Goodbye Phoenix Point

Let agree on really small maps, I think it’s not a good design choice.

Just get screwed up by one, I didn’t bother and will try again, but I doubt it can be a kill very fast solution.

It’s depends a lot of the context, but my experience is bother get strong positions can be more important. And it’s definitely what I’ll try, tiny map with Goo Chiron and there could be a second, at least 3 Sirens, Scylla, not sure for crabs and tritons details, but a number of crabs with AR 50. At first play I underestimated the Goo Chiron, and stopped try quickly.

Have not had many misfortunes with bugs myself, other than the acid/fire/poison worms being launched into terrain…fine if you have grenades and can blow the terrain up, thus exposing the worm but else it’s a mission killer because you can’t target it.

Research…boring…Virophage Sniper Rifle as my final weapon? What about a virophage RANGE of weapons…AR, pistol, shotgun?

End game…letting havens explode and die…they seem to have stopped giving me recruits despite the fact I am allied 100% with two factions.

Snipers? Combined with infiltrator and at level 7…murderous fun if in full Styx armour with the bonus stealth…walk the edges of maps and fire in…so hard to be spotted.

One mission, the one with Symes data in one of two places, I had to send a team of snipers — my first attempt my squad exploded on turn 1; had to engage foes that were literally on top of me, so could not move much and 3 chiron with explosive launching rectums did just that to my squad…wrecked’em…out of sight of my troops but in range for their weapon (is this some kind of intercontinental ballistic dump?)

As for the big mobs…Mark for Death…volley fire…PRESENT! FIRE! Who cares about a 50% accuracy penalty when you have rage burst or adrenaline rush with a SNIPER?

Return fire? Yes, I do agree it is a little OP and perhaps should not be allowed with heavy weapons, so pistol/shotgun/AR/sniper rifle only. It has led to an approach of…Plan A Part 1…SHOOT THE MACHINE GUN.

As good as XCom? In some ways yes, in other ways no…but honestly? I will play again when the next DLC is out and play it to destruction…but I have a feeling that XCom3 is going to knock spots off PP.

1 Like

Released this year or even at beginning of next year? From what you get that?

It seems you feel fully comfortable with pods, hacking gambling, more, despite I agree XCOM1&2 are huge games, XCOM3 will suffer a lot from a similar game giving up on many aspect I don’t like that much in XCOM1&2, they won’t change it deeply and for me it’s XCOM3 that will suffer from being released after pp.

I understand every word you wrote but cannot understand what you are actually talking about. Pods? Hacking Gambling? Did I mention ANY release schedule for XCOM3? And if XCom 3 is based on TFTD then it will be a classic (especially the music)

And with XCom being released on Steam, it seems infinitely more moddable, and therefore far more challenging thanks to thousands of dedicated modders, that PP is…or perhaps might be.

1 Like

What XCoM3? this game doesn’t exist, and there’s zero information it will ever be released.

Sure dreamed games are always better than real games, it’s a classic.

So again, you are saying this dreamed XCOM3 will make pale PP, I disagree.

And if you don’t know what a pod is, I wonder how you could have play XCOM1&2 and never learned it.

You are missing my point. I do manage the situations we talked about. Return Fire, Chirons, Panic. I manage them. But I still think they are unfair in the way they work.
And I’ve played only this game for two months now. So I think I have a good overview of how it works and what I like and don’t like. Sure I’m no expert, but 170 hours of game are enough to have an informed opinion.

A pod is a group of enemy. But that’s not an official term from the game, just some “XCOM player lingo”. So it is not mandatory to know the word. I learned it long after finishing my first couple of XCOM2 playthrough.

Yes I do know what a pod is, just a way of suggesting that you might use terminology that others understand rather than “jargon” from a game.

Currently, there are indications that XCom3 will become reality but yes, plans do change, and perhaps XCom3 designers will learn a few tricks from PP and produce something better than PP.

I was going to write a lot more to you Zzzz but what’s the point, I might as well just go outside and bang my head against the wall till I fall unconscious.

1 Like

Again, sources?

Sure spare me some arguing on a dreamed game not released compared to a real game, makes no sense, dreams are always better, reality rarely match at release.

Fam you got MUCH farther than me. I got a few hours in and said “this is not it”. Hoping a literal ton of changes/fixes occur before I decide to try again.

2 Likes

I gave up on this game month ago.
The only hope as I see it if modders can shake up most stuff.
Devs not so much they have their goal.

2 Likes

Totally agree.

1 Like

Now most of maps are 48x48 tiles in size. Some are 64x64 (lairs?). There are also other shapes like 48x64. And I think there are also rare cases with 80x80.

In first backers builds maps were 64x64 which was quite good size (when your soldier had 16 tiles movement and there were only light armored Arthrons). I think that devs should come back to those sizes. Btw where are those maps? All those assets (or at lease most of them) are gone? Well some of them are in scavenge missions and some are in industrial parts of NJ havens, but I haven’t seen similar configurations as in first three backers builds.

Just give option to decrease animations and calculations for it to look less realistic.

2 Likes

Just gonna say, congratulations on the melodramatic nonsense for your 10 min of forum fame… Get over the fact NO ONE GAME has ever launched without needing patches, tweaks, balances. This whole thread is a joke and should be removed

Well, I have to respectfully disagree with a lot of what you said there.

Pods: Yeah, they are incredibly irritating at times, primarily when you’re already fighting one and you accidentally trigger another one, or sometimes two. However, once a fight has started, the rule is to not expand the field of vision (push the fog of war) by even one tile, if you want to be safe. It’s a poor mechanic but I’m not sure I’d say it’s unfair as such. The player knows how it works and pods won’t just randomly trigger or suddenly appear. Occasionally a patrol pod might walk in but when that happens you get a turn first so that you can adjust.

Ambush: Not sure what you mean, especially with regards to ambushing two pods. One should never do that unless incredibly confident. Yeah, I can’t comment on this as I’m not sure what kind of situation we’re talking about.

Timed missions: This is to stop overwatch creep. If a player finds that they keep running out of time, then they can mod it or simply go to a lower difficulty setting.

Random hits: I partly agree with you on this but only because I prefer PP’s ballistic system. I still wouldn’t say XCOM’s is ‘unfair’ though. Not satisfactory maybe but not unfair. A 90% shot is a 90% shot. The game tells you the odds. It’s up to the player to take the risk and, hopefully, have a plan B ready in case that 90% shot misses.

Hacking: Again, the %'s are there. It’s a gamble and it’s supposed to be. You don’t have to take it. I completed Legendary Ironman (never again :S ) without ever using those kind of hacks. The ones that are compulsory do not have a risk associated with them.

Civvies: Insane risks? I wouldn’t go that far. Those missions are made to tempt you out of your comfort zone, to tempt you to take risks rather than sitting back with overwatch on. It’s deliberately made to rush you, or at least trick you into feeling rushed. You don’t have to though, you can usually rescue enough early on to clear the mission. Like you say, it’s for the player to manage.

Panic: I’m not sure what version you mean, maybe it got patched, but the vast majority of the time they hunker down, shoot at an enemy or run away. It’s rare they do anything else. Besides, panic is supposed to punish you, you’re not supposed to let soldiers get to the point they panic. In XCOM it’s supposed to be a big deal, not a minor inconvenience, which is why it’s actually quite rare for squaddies to panic in the first place.

I understand if people don’t like XCOM mechanics, it’s all subjective. I do prefer a couple of PP’s choices (ballistic fire, no pods) but that doesn’t mean they’re inherently ‘unfair’.

2 Likes

Well, to be fair, that depends how far back you’re going. Back in the day, there were no patches, hell, there was no internet. Games couldn’t be tweaked, patched and balanced.

2 Likes

Heh, that music was perfect for the atmosphere of the game. I remember giving the game to my brother when he was just 10 or 11 and years later he mentioned to me how some of the geoscape music actually creeped him out so much he had to turn it off :slight_smile:

Yeah, modding gave XCOM2 a new lease of life when I went back to it a couple of years after release. I hope PP gets the same support at some point.

1 Like

I don’t buy your arguments, the point is: what is unfair? If there’s rules, and rules can’t be unfair, all this unfair arguing means nothing.

Second pod appear during the ambush you had no clue of it.

It’s artificial stress, it’s interesting to quote PP don’t need force players not use overwatch.

No you didn’t get it, it’s the total weird balance between win and lost. it’s like shooting and if you miss the gun explodes in your face.

Obviously changed, I remind a let’s play lost at first mission because of panic.

Well, I’m happy to agree to disagree. It seems to me that what’s really happening here is that you’re calling mechanics ‘unfair’ simply because you don’t like them.

You say hacking is weird. Fine :slight_smile: But weird doesn’t mean ‘unfair’. You literally never have to make a ‘hacking gamble’. You can completely ignore them. You could actually patch them out and the game would be the same.

Timed missions. You say they’re stressful, but that doesn’t equal unfair either. They are what they are. The devs want you stressed.

If you’re playing on the right difficulty, it means you have to plan carefully, avoid mistakes and use time wisely. It you play on a difficulty setting that’s too easy then timers mean nothing. If you play on a difficulty setting that’s too much for you, then they’ll feel cheap and frustrating. Saying timed missions are unfair is like saying that Dark Souls bosses doing 90% damage is unfair. It’s just the way the game was constructed and it’s balanced around that.

Like I said, I’m perfectly happy with you not liking Xcom’s mechanics. I’ve got no problem with that. However, I simply don’t see how they are unfair.

1 Like

Woo woo, I didn’t started the unfair thing, go back and look at the root or I’d be curious you explain me how PP points unfair for op are realy unfair.

As I wrote if rules are rules and can’t be unfair, there’s nothing unfair.

So again, if you agree with OP, please explain mean what means unfair.

Xcom 1 and 2 are your friend. They give you sweets and tuck you up in bed. Xcom 1 and 2 are enjoyable.
PP on the other hand seems designed to upset and enrage the player. It goes all our to ruin your day and depress you.

Why? You tell me. Sanpshot are not in the entertainment business, no. Instead they pride them selves on new forms of torture to sell to dictatorships around the world.
My advice to Snapshot would be to try playing your own game for a hour without throw something at the monitor. Go on, I dare you.

2 Likes