Do missions scale to the level of your team?

That is was one of the reasons I started doing that guide. Did you read it, btw? Any suggestions on what topics to cover/ideas to prioritize for new players? What about in game tutorials? (this I think might be very interesting to the devs).

You don’t - that’s my point.

You give them an Option/Difficulty setting that says: “Knock yerself out - go massacre Pandas to your heart’s content.” Then you balance the game for those who do want some challenge and balance - which will inevitably make the Pandas less brutal than they are atmo because that challenge and balance is provided by adding some restrictions.

With luck that should a) make the game easier to manage for the likes of Icemann, and b) make the game more interesting for the likes of me and Voland.

But I repeat: I’m not asking for the whole skill tree to be removed or nerfed in its entirety, I’m asking for the devs to provide players with options - do you want to play with Super-Soldiers, or do you NOT want to play with Super-Soldiers: and the simple way of doing that is having one setting which says ‘you can use each Squaddie ability as many times as you like in a turn’ and another setting which limits the number of times such Terminator abilities can be used.

Which - I have to say - is what we’ve been saying all along.

It’s just easier to provide the most obvious examples when you’re trying to make your case to a sceptical crowd.

No disagreement there :wink:

Holy crap. Ok if that’s a Terminator build, then sure that needs to be nerfed. The computer had zero chance against that.

The funny thing is that I have that ability that gives 2 action points per enemy killed on quite a few of my 1st squad, but I never use it. I can see how that would heavily unbalance a battle in the players favor. That’s almost unbeatable (what you see in the video).

2 Likes

That’s it!
Have you already seen this (Link below)? That goes to another level.

:rofl: See what I mean?

Thing is, you don’t know such things are possible until you’re experimenting with a Skill combo and discover that you’ve stumbled across a 'Zerker who simply cannot be stopped - especially after the horrible nerf they gave to RF (which would have gunned him into the ground for being so stupidly unrealistic - EDIT: Though look at @Walan 's example above to see what Electric Reinforcement can add to the party).

Like I say, I’m all for being able to eg. Jet-Jump your Heavy up to a Siren, Rally a couple of times, and then shoot her head off.

What breaks the game is then being able to do the same thing 10 times over, because you’ve created a perpetual AP-generator in whatever form the lack of skills limitations has allowed you to this time.

3 Likes

Checking / reading it now.

Things I’d like to know -

So the defense strength of a Haven drops over time, when under attack. If an attack is repelled (either via a higher defense strength or if the player intervenes), does that defense strength return back to full after?

Missing -

Multi-classing. Pros / cons.

I’ve been using this site as my reference point for multi-classing -

Good weapon combinations per class is another.

Tips for getting resources quicker - I find building up a large stockpile of food is the no.1 best way. Making sure to grab all resources on map helps as well, when inventory space allows for it.

And that’s what defines a Terminator Build :blush:

Because the Pandorans are like the cops in the police station in Terminator.

Best scene in that movie.

Night Club bit being second.

And the flashbacks from the future!

Definitely :). That’s my favorite Terminator film. Second one is fantastic, but it lacks the horror vibe.

Now I feel like an idiot, as the version of Termintor squad’s I had assumed wasn’t anywhere even close to that. That’s just broken. Wow.

The fix would be limiting the amounts of times a unit gets AP back from a kill I think. Like how dash can only be used a certain amount of times now.

1 Like

Thank you!

Now we have to think further …
Successful YouTube streamers such as ChristopherOdd are “real” hardcore players and use “everything” that the game “allows”!
What drama or tension can such a streamer generate for his viewers when all soldiers stands around in the initial position and shoots everyone away with rage burst? If he makes himself invulnerable, crosses the whole map and blows everything away with a terminator, and so on …

Nothing surprising happens, there is no movement, no exchange of blows in combat as long as he uses the “FTS” termination. What happens then? Fewer viewers are interested in this boring cleaning simulation. Streamer makes no or fewer videos. There is too little or even bad advertising for the game. Snapshot loses money. The game cannot grow … Bad for all!

1 Like

I’d far rather watch a stream where actual tactics were used. That’s how battles are won. Not via exploits.

1 Like

Do you have more informations on this ? I’m very intrigued.

That moment when you realise that he’s John Connor’s father.

And of course: “Fok u ass-hol!” :joy:

1 Like

Nothing to feel like an idiot for. I remember the first time I stumbled across a Terminator Build and thinking: “Wow! How did I not see this before?”

It’s fun to play with for a couple of Missions, but then it just palls. Basically, it’s like those old Age of Empires exploits, where you could input a cheat code and have a Ninja shooting death rays, or a Floating Death with a Deathand that could wipe out anything. A bit of a laugh, but it doesn’t make for a sustainable game.

Good news: the devs are aware. They are planning to do something about it. But it will be part of a properly thought-through raft of changes, rather than a knee-jerk nerf.

But the circle they most want to square is how do they restrict Skill use without denying players like you, Icemann, the kind of alpha-striking abilities you need to survive in the endgame.

All suggestions on the back of a postcard gratefully received :wink:

Don’t - the devs didn’t realize it either. I think it’s because the discussion was framed as ‘hardcore’ players who want something like the original X-Com and casual players who want to have fun.

And that’s what we spent 100s of hours discussing here, what would be the best way to fix this…

The difficulty is that it’s not a single build and that there is a whole squad of soldiers. And, of course, that you want to keep as much of the sandbox freedom (and fun) as possible.

Plus there is other stuff coming together too, like the number of enemies - because the swarms of enemies actually act like fuel for Terminator Builds - the more enemies there are, the closer they deploy to the player and the more clustered they are, the more APs and WPs flow back to the player to power the FTS. Thus mission design is also important, and you can kinda see where that is going with the new Lairs…

1 Like

I think if they did what I suggested of limiting it to a certain amount of times would work.

I’m thinking of it like as if this was a tabletop board game, where an unforeseen moves combo completely destroyed the balance. They’d put out a revision and nerf it. Otherwise there is no balance at all. In game design terms it’s called a “dominant strategy” which is a big no no, where by that is an unbeatable strategy that can only be at best halted, and not defeated.

See The game feels better on hardest difficulty - #22 by UnstableVoltage

It’s since been scaled back some.

1 Like