Behemoths Are Coming

I do hope (against all odds) the devs give us at least an improved version of the good old UFO air combat minigame (with combat aircrafts to research) in Festering Skies DLC. I need a reason to reinstall this game, as i still want to like it…

To me that was the main feature from old UFO games that got badly downplayed on Firaxis XCOM1 and sadly forgotten in Firaxis XCOM2.

And i really don´t buy the lack of budget argument. Xenonauts creators did it with far less KS funds and no epic money.

This discussion is going far from joy of Behemoth coming…

Mostly not gonna happen. You know why? Because large player base are casual players and power play players. They like current skills or how they interact. That is why developers try not to reinvent them and not to spoil their experience. Rebalancing everything would create really different game and outcome is still hard to predict. Game is in too late stage to experiment with such things. Devs will probably try to close some loop holes which let player kill too many enemies in one turn, but still super duper skills won’t vanish or be toned down.

If you want to have more balanced skills and more tactical combat you may already wait for experience modders to come and tweak the game - probably after game development will end (early 2022?).

I don’t know what you mean. But devs are looking into diplomacy and some mechanics that may slow player down, but nothing substantial is known to the council (well even if it was, then I couldn’t share it here).

Like I said above. Hardly gonna happen. Balance is too delicate thing to alter now.

Not gonna happen as it is too big task to what they can accoplish with their time.

You can try asking admins in the Discord. We as a Council don’t have such contact, and we give feedback to developers.

And from my standpoint too. It doesn’t mean we have the power to influence the project and alter developers vision. They simply won’t do that even if it is shuffling existing puzzles. Like @MadSkunky said. They are still in the process of adding more content, and they can’t throw it to the bin (or even implement changes to the plan), because one of the fans is wishing to change some parts. But again try asking admins of the channel in Discord.

Kevin is no longer with Snapshow since July 2020.

Like I said somewhere above. Phoenix Point wasn’t designed for aerial combat, so don’t expect nothing like old or even new XCOM.

Me too. But you want to discuss that when we don’t see their spendings and plans? It is easy to compare to other titles, but it may be misleading. Maybe Snapshot Games is preparing other title right now and they use Phoenix Point money to do that? So it may be inaccurate thinking that whole money earned during fig campaing and Epic deal is put into Phoenix Point development.

And it is worth noting that enthusiasts developing something look differently at money than developers who are paid to do their work. Me for example - I could develop Phoenix Point after my working hours for free or for some small paybill, but if they would put me in the other game project I would probably did it just as another job.

1 Like

Put more enthusiasts on the team!

Might be a personal mindset as i´m a lawyer, but i think that if i can´t see their spendings and plans, i can assume what i think its reasonable based on public data (such as comparing PP to similar works), and its on the devs to show us wrong (as you said you disagree too) with the real data if they disagree with that opinion.

And while it´d be their right to burn epic money in a camp fire if they want (as it seems that 1 year exclusivity was epic only demand), using fig money to anything other than PP development would be embezzlement (fig backers are investors in the PP project), so i´ll believe until proved otherwise that at least that cash went all to this game.

I am pretty confident in saying that fig money is long gone. I am pretty sure the game wasn’t fully funded by fig - but also Snapshot own cash and other investors. And clearly a lot of money has been invested back into Phoenix Point since launch.

It is unwise to burn all funds into a project that is already sold to majority of players- I don’t know how much more potential Phoenix Point has to generate income, but it is reasonable to keep funds from PP sales/Epic deal and invest it in another title - be it a sequel or other IP.

1 Like

Hopefully with better modding support.

1 Like

which in your opinion is better than DLC2 or DLC1?

Olivia “worktime

That flying unit reminds of the Zerg drones.

3 Likes

Except for missions giving nice skill points level (and looking a bit different) and end resulting weapons I find Ancients DLC a bit of dissapointment:

• Ancients have 2 new units but they exist solely to defend mines or be produced to defend one. No research of their destiny or story, I would prefer killing them and using some of them tech from there would be easier
  • While Ancient wepons can make a real difference for ending battles - which I nagged about need for earlier, having hard times getting even with infinite resources cheat, since it requires control over processing sites to use it). And that is often 3 or 4 sites to produce one weapon, needed to be discovered, and without cheat having aircraft per mine in orbit to mine.

I hope new DLC will have better story integration and game use, like Blood and Titanium does impact the game feel and weapons and mutations/upgrades.

In modern days and age, game is finished once all bugfixes and patches are out, as well as all DLCs (so called Deluxe Editions and similar). Original base game always look like expensive push to recoup initial costs, and then DLCs seems to be source of additional income that also funds further fixes.

In similar fashion OS is stable and finished once its EOL, like Windows 7 now :slight_smile: You have defenite and final product :slight_smile:

All before that is live betatest and experiment as everything is pushed too early on market - global competition, greed, no more inner prolonged testings … Surely games are also larger and complex then in 16/32 bit or early Windows gaming era.

I dont like it, but one has to used to that. I usually buy games few years later, PP was experiment and only thing I can say is - final end users of some “Golden edition” will not know “what our eyes have seen and hearts felt” meanwhile. What does the android say in “Blade Runner”? I have seen things you humans will never imagine - or similar

've seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of > Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those > moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

1 Like

But it depends on time horizon. Sure, if you want to end the game right after you’ve released it, then it’s finished. And maybe you’ll come back 30 years later. But if you want to build a franchise, then it’s completely different matter.

There are a lot of games that are built on incremental chages, moving part of the code to next editions. If you look at the code from that perspective its actually worthwhile to work on it more than basic bugfixes.

And SnapShot was build on community support. I feel like sometime in the development process somebody took a decision to not work with community. Which is kind of strange especially for small studio. Feedback is most important matter when speaking of consumer product. You can’t expect people flocking to the game, if you basically don’t listen to what they say. And it all comes back to “we’ve a finished product here” mindest, so now we don’t listen coz we can’t change anything. I guess devs can do what they want. But it doesn’t change the fact that it’s terrible long-term for the product you’re trying to sell.

I dont like it, but one has to used to that. I usually buy games few years later, PP was experiment and only thing I can say is - final end users of some “Golden edition” will not know “what our eyes have seen and hearts felt” meanwhile

“Bareboned” games can be playbale or fun. You can build on it later with tremendous success. The problem is when you have poeple making games trying to do something, that they don’t have enough resources for. They outstrech and are shooting themselves in the foot most of the time. Games can start small and grow big. But if you start big without resources you will have greater problem with growing later and also have terrible first impression issue to deal with. Sounds familiar?

1 Like

Maybe change PP into PPo (online) just like it is with ESO (Elder Scrolls online) which is somehow enjoyable. … just dreaming :slight_smile: eh.

I still think that should let the player decide if they want to be Pandorans or Phoenix Point.

4 Likes

… or any fraction with one fixed enemy and PP as possible alliance :slight_smile:

1 Like

&

Honestly, this seems more like OG XCOM then I expected. It has a potential to be interesting. The most worrying part to me is using transport ships for combat, but it’s pointless for me to speculate while you guys have actual chance to see if it works. Considering I usually aimed to have “spares” it might make sense. But I feel stealing an aircraft at the start will be even more desirable then it already is :innocent:

I wonder if NPC ships participate in air-to-air combat. Can hostile faction ships fight with each other as well?

2 Likes

To be true, I haven’t checked that.

Well DLC announcement promises new enemies, new story … :slight_smile:

I wish I could comment on that, but I can’t. Maybe there will be some introductory gameplay, so you will see.

1 Like