Assaults on Phoenix Bases completely broken... and while we are at it, ambush missions as well

If you enjoy pointless missions that is great… I do not… from my perspective in game tasks that are little more than time drains are poor game design… so far as experience reward, you do realize this is a matter of taste that there is no such thing as realistic experience gain in a game… it is purely at the discretion of the designer.

For the most part this is an exceptional game… makes the areas where it does fall down all the more glaring…

3 Likes

We disagree, normal thing on forum.

P.S.: If you want to propose some changes to the game you can use feedback tool https://phoenixpoint.canny.io/feedback

I guess you could still get a bit of resources. After all, you were on the ground to get some stuff and Pandorans prevented you from doing it fully. But still part of it could have been done. A little compensation.

For base defense, you get notified because your automated defense detect and delay them enough for you to arrive (just a thought). However it’s true that if you do not deal with the lair/citadel, they attack you relentlessly every in-game day. So the time it takes for the scan to reveal the position, you’ll have to do an other one.

And I find it strange to see the citadel spawn inside the mist repeller zone (a zone that was covered for a long time - bug ?).

1 Like

A citadel, perhaps, but not a nest/lair. One would like to think that clearing the mist would reveal the base without having to either successfully defend a haven or scan again.

Maybe if you kill all enemy reinforcements (I think there is only one wave) you get whatever was on that location originally. Could be resources, scavenge mission or nothing. That would be fair.

Had that too, very close to main base. Bug imo.

Clearing with Priest now, thanks for the tip… lets hope they get these missions fixed before long.

Speaking of automated defenses… whatever happened to the security facility that was in the backer builds… didn’t it spawn a few turrets?? Is it on the synedrion tech tree??.. Haven’t had a game yet where I got really late game syn tech as of yet.

There is currently no such thing … to my knowledge

I was laughing out loud yesterday when I had my first defense mission drop. It was hilarious to have so many hours advance warning, and half of my defenders were chilling in the back of the base. The positioning seems to be a contrived and artificial way to make the defense mission harder. I just pulled the guys spawning in the flight room back into the Manticore bay behind the first threshold. And the enemies one by one walked into a killing floor with a bunch of overwatches waiting for them.

3 Likes

I like where you are going with this and I agree. When they attack the base it is relatively easy to defend if you are given the proper amount of time. Ambush missions are annoying. The lack of rewards for either is annoying. I think to combat this there should be extra XP for surviving said missions. Especially some ambush missions.

That’s how it was in the Backer Builds, and it was awful. The Pandas randomly spawned everywhere, and you could never get enough people to enough places to protect the base.

So yes, if you want to go back to having your base completely trashed every other turn, regardless of how many defenders you’ve got in there, feel free to revert to BB5.

My suggestion at the time was to have the Pandas storm the entrance AND have a percentage chance of randomly burrowing into rooms on the EDGE of the map only. That enabled you to set up a proper defence (which sounds like what’s happening), but introduced a certain element of randomness which players could mitigate through careful base construction.

Since I follow a strict policy of stomping on any Panda den that appears in my Base(s) mist zone(s), I haven’t encountered a Base Defence yet, so I can’t comment on the current iteration.

However, sounds t me like the bigger issue is that the Base Defences are triggering far too often - like Haven Defences used to in BB5. The solution should be the same as Haven D’s - if you defeat a Base Assault, it should take the Pandas time to regroup, buying you time to find their den and squish it.

Random spawning is a bad, bad, really bad idea. But this is not what I was thinking about. I’m saying there should be several (2 or 3 max) possible burrowing points, that the player knows of in advance and can prepare for.

Right now it just feels really stupid. There is this huge map of the base, but all the action takes place in a single room. The rest of the base is there just to randomly spawn the players’ troops in a very contrived attempt at putting them at a disadvantage.

3 Likes

Another suggestion, which perhaps has been made before but I haven’t seen: let the base defense work the same as haven defense. That is, have attack and defense points (this coming from automated defenses - a new facility - and soldiers at the base), and only if the attack points are higher than the defense points and overcome them have it resolved as a tactical battle.

Certainly I think the results of Base & Haven Defences should be the same - ie. the Pandas should be knocked back for a while, giving us a breather to do other things, and the den that spawned them should automatically be revealed.

1 Like

b) As is, my guys use their advanced warning to sit around and play cards, seemingly entirely unconcerned with the incoming enemy… as a consequence my troops are in random disarray when the Pandorans invade apparently catching my helpless lads completely by surprise time and again…

Well said and I concur! If we are warned that Pandoran’s will attack our base, I would expect our men to be prepared. Instead of a whole bunch of my troops starting in the random settings. I do not understand the logic. Shouldn’t the men be prepared? What gives?

4 Likes

I think this very well may be a bug. I am pretty sure that I scanned the area with proper tech to reveal Pandoran colonies before I established a mist free zone. I was scanning and re-scanning the area around this base multiple times due to constant base attacks. I found 2 on Greenland, cleared them out. I thought I should be safe, but in a few days my base was attacked again. Started scanning surrounding areas. However, after defending my base, a haven in the mist-repelled area next to my base was attacked. I knew I now needed to successfully defend it in order to reveal the Pandoran base… Sure enough a lair was revealed clearly in the mist-free zone! Being a lair indicates that it did indeed form in mist-free area.

If this “bug” is not fixed, I guess one has to re-scan mist-repelled areas as well.

Mist repealer doesn’t stop aliens only weaken them. It’s not really repealing the aliens invasion/progression.

Alien bases aren’t like Havens, created on start, new are constantly created.

Well I may be misreading the PhoenixPedia, since it implies that the Mist Repeller repels the mist. I know it doesn’t keep the Pandorans from coming into a mist-free zone. But, it should keep them from building new colonies in the mist-repelled zone.

I think it’s in dialog when you choose to favor this project, then it is explained it doesn’t stop them only weaken them and they are already adapting to it so it can’t be the final solution. But yeah despite it repels the mist.

…you survived it.