With the new patch you ruined the game - jan,16

It had to happen for this game to have any future. Those abilities might as well have been cheats thats how much they trivialized the battle field.

I think that there should be a respec feature for cases like this, though.

1 Like

The ability to respec would be great.

I hate respec in game in general as I feel that it trivialises player decisions. That said I think PP is going to be a mess of patching over the next few months, so I can appreciate why people would want to.

Only when balance patches happen.

Which sounds more than reasonable in theory, but how would you technically do that? Do you just allow a respec with x number of days after a patch is released? What if someone else comes back to that save game weeks or months later?

One respec per relevant patch per soldier. I don’t think it’s that difficult to conceptionalize. If someone comes back months later, it doesn’t change the fact that there has been a patch which might have screwed over some builds.

Respec could be added as a console command, not as a full fledged feature. Should be good enough for testing or elevating pain of rebalancing mid campaign.

1 Like

Some games just unspec fully and give all the points back. It’s a bit rude to lost a building for many soldiers. But it’s just a reset ability and save versions management.

A respec button used once for each soldier match less game current design.

I don’t know, I don’t want time and energy and cost lost to design respec that the games doesn’t need, but I feel the forced respec a bit rude. Forced respec and less small patches.

I wonder from what the dev felt they had lost control and had to com through a small patch.

EDIT: For people enjoying enough the game, they can consider it’s a fresh new game to experiment, I had beat all my chained plays record with Atom RPG because it degenerated as an Early Access game and lab design past release, a lot of fun in fact, if you adhere to it. :slight_smile:

What would be nice is to have a “commit” button to save your changes to a soldier.

Let’s say that you have a soldier that you left in training and is now level 7. You can use his skill points to change strength, will and speed and you can rollback at any time - unless you change screen. But once you select an ability, you can’t rollback. That forces you to calculate beforehand where you want to put your skill points.

Balancing is a multi-step process. Some of these changes have nerfed some of the common tactics that were being overused.

So you are right that some people are going to find the new landscape too hard (me included) but you can more properly identify what the true balance is after removing an OP rage burst.

I really agree with OP , if they want make it hard just buff the enemies or make new enemies not nerf the player, we play single player not something competitive like DOTA , LOL etc.

It really ruin our fun gaming experience. I just hope dev will reconsider it for next patch.

1 Like

Simple. Imagine a multiplayer mode exists and you play against a human player.
What would be your reaction when he gets rid of you before you even have your turn ?

Now think about what you wouldn’t want him to have. This patch is only a fraction of it.

Should the maps be bigger? Definitely if there are so many enemies roaming.
I think they touched at the difficulty even though it is not in the patch notes. So it would seem it is not a one-sided nerf.

3 Likes

If the intent was to make a mist covered supplies mission with about 12 arthrons and 3 mindfraggers into a 3h game of chess, then it was a job well done.
Heavy has become useless for small targets missions, sniper was generally meh before, with the ap nerf, it has become yawn. Luckily, i can build a team fielding a frenzy priest and 5-6-7 assault zerkers and clear a trivial mission late in the game in about one hour. Yay!
Admittedly, the game had some ridiculous combos that trivialized pretty much everything before, but it was fun at least. With this patch, it has just become a drag, favoring very cautious play and thus demanding loads of playtime.
Not impressed at all, Snapshot. Will be waiting for another “balancing” patch, before i invest some more hours into it.

1 Like

What’s grinding in this game exactly? I thought the whole point is a back and forth arms race while slowly progressing a bar towards completion. Each battle fought in a tactical landscape that tends to play out similarly but different enough that it’s not always feeling the same (how well that has been achieved I suppose can be debated, especially regarding skill balance and map design).

With the way leveling/training/logistics works, the whole leveling soldiers in combat thing lasts for maybe the first 3-4 weeks in game which works well with how easy the enemies are within that period. I don’t consider that grinding. I really am confused as to what you mean,

but I also don’t consider this a bad thing either.

• Month 1: establishing a foothold around the world, with around 5-10 fabricators/research and at least 1 base with 3-5 training centers
  • Month 2: ending the game while the world falls

In month 1, the balance (on average, since the difficulty appears to be conditional) seems to revolve around having non-level 7 soldiers and by month 2 hits, all soldiers in the training base are leveled up faster than they would be doing missions. This makes missions valuable for the General Skill Point pool, but actually gaining XP for your soldiers trivial (which makes losing/hiring soldiers equally as trivial, even that late into the game). On Legend difficulty, soldiers don’t have any tech/material cost and are only 390 Food I think, so with a lot of food production (or a lot of raiding) these guys are easy to recruit, and on lower difficulties I don’t know.

All I’m saying is that with the way things are currently designed, we have a game (in Legend at least) where “leveling up soldiers” isn’t really anything more than the first half of the game, at which point it evolves into an “end-game” where all your soldiers are now level 7 regardless of combat experience so that it doesn’t COMPLETELY suck if you lose someone. I like it this way?

I totally agree that the new patch ruins the game. I’m very annoyed of it. Instead of fixing bugs and do balancing with regard to the overwhelming Pandorians, Snap Shot makes it even harder for the players to succeed. And sorry Snap Shot but if I read your patch notes I ask myself if you know your own game. You change the specs for PRCR Sniper as well as PRCR Assault Rifle as “Statistics show that piercing weapons are overused compared to other equivalent tech.” Are you kidding? Could it be that those weapons are heavily used because all Pandorians are nearly fully armored till Mid Game and the other weapons are useless? So instead of powering up the other weapons you reduce the power of some useful weapons!? Do you call this balancing?

For example, what about reducing the chance that Pandorian attacks disable body parts (so easily and massively)?

Instead of making the game more and more harder and annoying for the players, I would appreciate it if you do your work and balance the Pandorians. It don’t think that you can call a game balanced where (even in the easiest mode) you have to build up a base with at least five training centers in order to be able to replace your losses with appropriate trained soldiers.

And by the way, I like games that are challenging and was a big fan of the first x-com games but this Phoenix Point in its current version is (sad to say) very annoying.

Thanks

6 Likes

Nope you don’t do that with dash, even less with RB except for the bad citadel/lair designs.

Rapid Clearance and Adrenalin Rush, or 100% stealth/Rapid Clearance and a team of Rally, Rapid Clearance/Inspire and a team of Rally. Eventually a few more combo. And the nerfs target none of them only made them a bit more involving without any dash but anyway dash is a limited pool for a killer character, you couldn’t clear a mission thanks to dash.

Not only those huge op holes didn’t get targeted at all, but even more I bet the game continue spam tiny maps when the difficulty scaling is very high, this making even more powerful those OP holes.

1 Like

Global skill points allowing build gods soldiers.

Your opinion not mine. Not sure it worth I explain once more why.

Simplified false view, increased equipments/mutations, improved soldiers and improved teams alas without any limit.

For me an asymmetrical design would be the best, fine for enemies, wrong for player for which it creates an absurd RNG effect.

What did you not understand by: “this patch is only a fraction of it”

Major Fixes

• Fixed a hang when a Mindfragger tries to mind control a decoy.
  • Fixed a hang when using the flamethrower near the edge of Alien Lair maps.
  • Fixed a hang when a Scylla used the Sonic Blast ability right after using the Mist Launcher.
  • Fixed a hang when breaking an Arthron’s gun arm while the enemy was stepping out of cover.
  • Fixed an issue where the player’s units could be deployed between impassable cover on some Disciples of Anu maps.
  • Fixed an issue where units would fall through stairs and die.
  • Fixed an issue where the player’s soldiers could deploy in the walls of a Phoenix Base mission.
  • Fixed an issue where vehicles couldn’t reach the evacuation zone on some maps.
  • Fixed an issue where the environment was blocking the passage to the Spawnery in Alien Lairs.

Other Fixes

• Fixed an issue where vehicles had no collision with some unbreakable pillars.
  • Fixed an issue where enemy vehicles could be deployed on the roofs of buildings.
  • Fixed an issue where enemy Pandorans could not move from their initial deployment in Alien Lairs.