Spotting an enemy still interrupts dash

I believe that the reason this issue is coming up more often with the last patch is because stealth/detection have been reworked and now it’s much harder to spot enemies from afar, which makes it more likely to run within 5 tiles of a previously undetected enemy.

What would a fighter do if he unexpectedly finds an enemy (around an angle or 5 meters from himself) while giving a dash to the exact spot? He would:

• stopped and shooting
  • into cover (stopped) and shoot / hid
  • ran away in another direction

By using the skill “dash”, you explicitely tell your soldier to teleport to some place. You want him here and don’t care if an other enemy shows up.

Our soldiers are controlled by a puppet master, so they’ll do what they are told.

1 Like

This is not a mind control skill :star_struck:

If he’s running at the speed that PP soliders go at, he’ll probably fall over his own legs. :wink:

Between the two, my feeling is that spotting enemies shouldn’t interrupt dash, but a realistic response when dashing might be the middle ground, let the solider continue forward for another 2 or 3 tiles and then stop him there. - When you’re sprinting at full speed, you don’t just stop in your tracks because something surprises you, your momentum carries you forward.

I think if the player instructs their solider to dash into an area which they haven’t checked is clear of enemies, that doing so should carry some risk.

Why not just interrupt it for no cost, soldier see’s a enemy but keeps running perhaps in a different direction or action his choice. So no loss of wp or length of movement. Allow the trooper to respond to the new information/ situation.

Dash is already OP within the game IMHO, allowing for this extra utility would make it even more so.

So many of the skills are fine on their own it’s the combination of skills in one turn that are really op. It’s how they interact with each other that needs to be looked at imho. Dash on it’s own is fine as a one off skill use, breaking it by interrupting it is penalising the player by wasting his planned use of wp. So much of the skill use is op, but this particular problem is easily solved it’s the rest of it that should be rebalanced.

I agree that skills as a whole are OP, especially when combined.

In this instance however, I feel that if you decide to dash with a soldier into an area of the map where you don’t know what’s going to be there, then you should be prepared to pay a potential consequence for that. If interrupts started happening, you’d be able to do things like dash round a corner, see an enemy, shoot at it, and then dash back round the corner into cover again, to me that feels totally unrealistic - if you dash round a corner and find a horde of enemies waiting for you, I don’t think you should still be able to use the rest of that dash to then run the other way. I think it should be that either the dash is interrupted and you lose it, or (better) you continue running to that original destination and then have to deal with being surrounded by enemies.

If your dash is interrupted and you choose to do something else like shoot that should end the dash. I have no problem with that.

Agree, and how they work with optimized builds (in the case of dash, top speed, speed enhancing armor and augmentations).

But on this particular issue I’m with Spite:

IMO it is the right choice thematically (dashing kind of implies not paying attention to your surroundings during the movement) and from the gameplay perspective - scouting ahead is important.

And if you don’t need to scout because you know that the triton is right there and you want to give him a good bashing, or shotgun shot to the mug, you shouldn’t be deprived of the pleasure by unnecessary interruptions.

Are you seriously trying to “argue” in favor of this brain farted design decision ? You think enemies should actively drain 3 wp and 1 AP by mere presence ? :smiley:

If you really need some sort of real world analogy think about instructing your highly trained and disciplined soldier to run to places past any enemy he sees (a process called dashing) because that’s where he belongs in order to make currently planned tactics work !

A dialog “you see enemies abort/continue” for people that cannot or don’t want to adhere to a risk/reward principle and generally don’t see this as a tactics game might work but this should be restricted to the easiest difficulty and is generally more costly to implement for no good reason.

1 Like

Did`t plan, but suddenly saw, dash - for correctness.

This game has ballistics and a bullet interacts with a (sudden) obstacle on the way to the target, and does not fly through (ignores by decree) as in other games.

Strange. I can order my trooper to stand next to the enemy, disarm himself, turn his back and wait to be killed. Very strange behavoiur for a soldier, isn’t it?

In this case, this is not the mechanics/play of the game, this is the mind-game in the player’s head.

You’re excusing mechanic flaw with, long story short, “soldier wouldn’t do that” :slight_smile: My soldier doesn’t complain if I order him to do something completly stupid that will lead to his immediate demise. Following your argument, does it mean there’s opposite mechanic flaw here because “soldier wouldn’t do that”? :slight_smile:

It’s also interrupted by Overwatch fire …

So, you think it’s normal to cancel dash if enemy in 5 tiles radius?

No, I never said that. We’ll be fixing the issue in the future.