I’ve just finished The Last Resort for the first time, without external tips. It has exceeded my each and every expectation; the final boss is superb. The mission is infinitely more difficult to me than the LotA sites. The below is for the guys like me who have not brought a priest with a level 6 (ward) ability. I played on Veteran.
- I’ve cleared the first two zones (all except for the boss) without a scratch. How? A dream team with state-of-the-art Legacy of the Ancients weapons.
- The first wave (zone): have your troops positioned in front of the beasts, but far enough so that none of them could spot you. Next turn start launching grenades (it’s best to have the Rebuke LotA bazooka so that the missiles are infinite; if you trigger boom blast + rapid clearance (Heavy + Assault), you can shoot infinitely and generally kill all arthrons alone. Finish off chirons with Scorpion sniper rifles and harm the closest Scilla. If you are lucky enough and the farthest Scilla rushes forward first and blocks a way to the closest Scilla, they will be harmless and all will be finished next turn.
- The only trouble is the last boss (the boss will be “cursing” all your visible team members so that they harm their neighbours too; it can also induce panic). It will also “curse” your snipers even though they will remain hidden. I had no priest to shelter the team from those curses. So it was not easy. But I’ve found out that berserkers with Ignore Pain are completely immune themselves too. So take your time to put your Berserkers in front and they can do it all themselves. You can hide others from sight of the boss or with a priest.
- Obviously, you should disable as many eyes as possible to reduce the boss’ HP.
- A technician is very useful on that mission. First, he can deliver some 3,000 damage per turn by manually shooting from a prepositioned Laser turret into the boss or a Scilla. Last, he will be healing your guys.
- My only actual loss was when an arthron appeared from a hole and killed my sniper with his pincer the same turn. Another arthron appeared from another hole and shot at my technician with his machine gut so that the Technician had 1 HP remaining in the beginning of the next turn. Be mindful of the round holes in the ground!
- The virophage injector that you pick up at your starting point won’t be useful until the very end. Do not seek a way to apply it to the boss while it’s alive to one-shot-kill the bastard.