Release date update announcement

Well its Sept 3rd so buckle up!

Launch is less than 3+12 months away, hype!

Edit:

Automatically removed quote of whole previous post.

I did not even quote the video… this forum-engine is weird…

UV “correcting mistakes”, bah!

2 Likes

I have “heard” that Steam is no longer allowing developers to give away Steam keys for their games after they have cleared Epic exclusivity. I’d like to hear from Snapshot on this. I have opted to not refund because Snapshot stated that I would receive a Steam key after the year passes. What is the case?

I can’t speak for other developers/publishers - only for ourselves.

We are unable to give Steam keys to existing backers because Phoenix Point was never available to purchase on Steam directly. Valve would not let us give Steam keys out to existing backers (why would they? It would be using their service without them getting a cut).

However, once our exclusivity period with Epic Games is over, we will be able to sell Phoenix Point on Steam, at which point we will also be able to provide Steam keys to existing backers.

Just to clarify some stuff

Steams policy has been that if your game is not available for sale on Steam, you are given very limited quantities of steam keys to distribute. They should be for dev internally and to media basically

This policy PREDATES the Epic store. Aka it is “technically true” but merely an enforcement of a PREEXISTING policy.

Due to key generation abuse by scammers Steam has implemented various restrictions on key generation and distribution. But again these predate Epic and have nothing to do with implied “retaliation” against Epic exclusive games

As always I see delays as nothing worth frowning at. While it is disappointing to not be able to put my hands on PP till December I am glad that Snapshot respects its employees, and is willing to invest more resources into making PP as good as it can be.

Take good care, and looking forward to what the next beta will showcase.

1 Like

Just take whatever time you can afford to make the best game you can.