Phoenix Point: Year One Edition coming December 3rd

And what’s the situation with the Living Weapons Pack? The Year One edition will include it, but it’s not included in Season Pass on EGS and, as such, original backers didn’t receive it. Wouldn’t that mean the Steam version received by backers will be straight up better?

2 Likes

Oi!! Shush

Yes, I am no official, so I suppose since that is the first Steam release, those who back it so far in early days will get it. After all, they unwillingly survived the Epic launcher :slight_smile:

Hope one day we will have one definite full release, and enjoy it all, equally. Like happens after many DLCs and fixes with all modern games - definite edition takes time.

Everything in between is adding new layers and taking a bit of additional money to fund it. I dont like it either, but seems so many games work out that way these days.

Last found official quote in this thread

“If you backed Phoenix Point before March 12th, 2019, and received an Epic Game Store key, you will receive a Steam key for the Year One Edition on December 10th.”

I havent backed it that old, so I will have to buy the Steam release, and will do so gladly.

I think not, if I understand it [edit: … not really :wink: ]

Edit: Sorry, I’m wrong, some posts above it is mentioned, that all Steam backers also get all DLC.

Steam edition will include the Living Weapons DLC, while Epic original game + season pass does not. Even though I’m a Fig backer, my tier didn’t include the Living Weapons DLC and so I had to buy it in the EGS. I’ll not have to buy it on Steam, which is nice.

Early backers will get everything so no problem. New Steam buyers will get everything up to DLC2 so also good package. Late (after March 12th, 2019) Epic buyers are the ones that get less bang for the buck, because they had/have to purchase everything separately. However, they got to play the game before Steam players (early access…).

In the end, if you bought the Epic version and no DLC yet, just buy the Steam version and you’ll be better off, I guess. However if you already bought DLC, then stick with Epic and buy the rest of DLC or Season Pass if it interests you.

1 Like

@Snapshot_EE

One Question to the steam release:
Any chance the Steam Workshop for modding will be available? :pleading_face:

2 Likes

There is a chance, but still not a lock. It’s largely due to some game engine considerations the team is evaluating right now. Hope to have that answer before the release!

4 Likes

Surely there will be a big sale on epic dlc when steam version releases.

Otherwise it is a definite f*** you for everyone who bought the game at release.

If you backed early you get steam key and if you did not buy at all you get dlc included in steam release.

I should be very salty if that happens and remember it when thinking about purchasing any possible future titles of snapshot games.

1 Like

Everyone?

Maybe Epic will bring out the One Year Edition for free next year, who knows? What will you say then? What will Steam buyers say then? This is business as usual and, in my opinion, not worth getting excited about.

So, I’m not everyone :wink:

4 Likes

Highly doubt that, even I would like it, as current forced to Epic user *otherwise Steam preffered

To me it looks like Steam release date was taken seriously, as way to get-it-all-together and slam a nice price tag (remained to be seen). Good news is I suppose it will bring a lot of Epic keys on sale, since old backers will get Steam key too, and that in 6 months Steam price will drop down and that it will became the new base game, while some new DLC might get released. These are my 2021 expectations, but who knows what future holds?

Its great to have options, as to start over with Steam release :slight_smile: Hope team did get necessary cash flow from Epic, even I did felt back stabbed with exclusivity deal, almost a year ago. Now I see and feel that year was needed for development. Lesson learned is to forget about old final release game as released (and just bugfixes patched). New age game is once its two years on sale, fully fixed and deluxe edition packed with all the content / so called digital deluxe editions.

Well, Epic has its own interest to bind customers to their shop after the steam release and not all going there. This of course depends on what the contract between Epic and Snapshot looks like.
I personally don’t know much of about the contracts and what things Epic or Steam can do for marketing on their own. But I highly assume that there are some things in this business where the game studios* don’t have that much influence as many people think.
EDIT: * especially the smaller ones.

For instance, Epic has done something similar with Mutant Year Zero not that long ago (some month after release they threw it out for free for one week) and the Steam buyers were pretty upset about that.

But, as I said before, for me this is business as usual in the fight between Steam and Epic and not worth getting exited about. And especially not getting upset against the game studio. :wink:

2 Likes

I doubt Epic or steam has anything to say as to how content is packaged - they areshop not a publisher. They don’t own Phoenix Point or Snapshot in any way.

Not how the content is packaged at all, but about pricing these packages at least some time after the initial release.
Again, I’m not sure, but i highly assume that these gaming shops have their own pricing rules as almost any other business ‘shop’ also has its own pricing agenda independent of the manufacturer.

I don’t think so. Prices always seemed to be controlled by IP owners. There might be some laws which would prohibit different pricings, and Epic already has a precedent of making a sale without an IP holders knowledge (in that instance Epic “paid” IP owners full price anyway - the discount was funded by Epic) and that was clearly unexpected with some Devs hiking their prices in panic (supergiant).

Varied packages do exist though - GOG will sometimes offer DLC for free due to lack of online feature, but I imaging that stuff has to be done with agreement from IP owners.

That is exactly what I mean, maybe I was not clear enough to get this point. The result is the same, the game is given away by Epic and the not the IP holders.
But I assume that Epic has something in their contracts, so that something like this is not really without the knowledge of the IP holders.

Edit:
And so I come back to this:

It is not really unrealistic, especially from Epic.

I was one to defend the Epic Store and thought their highly agressive free-games-as-advertising campaign was a really interesting stab at Steam, but by now the EGS should simply be a better store. I’m just waiting for my Phoenix Point Steam Key to close the EGS.

Free games are great, of course, but there just comes a time when you realize a) you don’t have time to play them, so they just stack in your library, and b) if I had the time, those wouldn’t be games I would pick anyway, as I tend to go more for the indie scene (Phoenix Point, Solasta, Tenderfoot Tactics), and those tend to stick their foot in Steam.

All said, EGS is not much more than a Steam blueprint copy, and I tend to believe that, given a couple of years, the real competition to Steam will be Stadia. Stadia, as a store, is even worse than EGS, but streaming games is the future.

1 Like

Epic Game Store is still “Steam gone bad” and limited :slight_smile: While I liked it offered PP quite cheap at a time ($20 or similar) I doubt they will continue doing so for PP. They simply have more titles to go and probably more exclusives.

Google Stadia is interesting for the future and makes it all to Internet speed, relatively weak hardware can do HD streaming. This might handy for people that cannot cope to newer games demands and constant PC upgrades. Different league, but for poorer half of the planet might be only choice.

disclaimer: this is a TOTALLY off-topic post :stuck_out_tongue:

Google Stadia was born dead, totally wrong business model. It needs a total revamp to stay competitive. The king of streaming for now will be xbox cloud. Together with their games subscription service (via download, not streaming, for both xbox and PC, with a very big catalog), its price, and (why not) also the possibility of paying a bit more per month and getting a next-gen console… there’s currently no other service that can compete with this. It’s the only real “netflix” of games, even more than that.

Let’s hope Sony’s and Google’s services, as well as others, get a revamp to be able to compete.

In the meanwhile, Epic is struggling to get even a more-than-basic store client, BUT they have a ton of money, as does Valve/Steam. You can be sure they’re working towards streaming platforms of their own, or maybe making deals with other streaming services.

1 Like

It is, isn’t it? My bad, I haven’t been playing Phoenix Point for quite some time, and only came to the forums after receiving news of Arkham’s patch

Yeah but I was referring to my own post, no worries :slight_smile: