Phoenix Point v. Cthulhu 1.6 - 30th of July

Lol

canā€™t beā€¦ lol lol

I am not sure if itā€™s ā€œEngine Problemā€ or ā€œbudget problemā€. Most games using Unity are cheaper products - and that means less engine customisation and optimisation.

@Yokes

Thank you for providing me information on when Cthulhu patch going live happens on, that does help understand part of my concern in regards to what I was referencing. At this time I wish I would have kept screen shots of what was going on but here is a verbal break down and I will also explain my concerns and where they came from so I can be more helpful over all.

I was in my teens when Xcom came out (the original not the remake years later) so I have played all those games as the older series grew. RNG was a killer back in those days, it was so bad we used to make teams to break down the hexadecimal code to try to rework some of it. Do not get me startedā€¦ That had some serious issues. Print outs of lines of numbers and letters still haunt me to this day.

Now when playing this game I have never had an experience with the RNG that has been built into the game as bad as I was having. I started a new game, Anu was the only faction on the continent. I would normally do about 2-3 scans before I got the Blood and Iron activation and upon accepting, a New Jericho faction would pop up. So thinking this was a glitch, I restarted 3-4 times after that first experience yesterday to get the same result or similar where two of the three factions would pop but no others.

I understand game mechanics and how tricky coding can be in the Unity platform or engine depending on how you wish to look at the aspects of it. So I was not sure if this was an active patch to push Anu on people to play with for their altered virus mechanics or what. My personal view is Anu is more virus dependent then any of the other factions given the fact that Anu agrees with and believes in the mutation of the species as a good thing.

Given my frustration I am sure I was not 100% clear yesterday when I was trying to explain my concerns. Upon hearing about the Cthulhu patch, given that Anu popped up as the primary and only faction that would appear on a continent short of one other faction for a single haven. I felt asking these things and finding out more about the patch was important as the game might have been turning in that direction intentionally.

I appreciate your reply and thank you for it. I am going to see what happens later today on a new map and hopefully I will enjoy the new additions. I just need to remember that just like the X-Com games, the RNG could be killer. I just decided to start it on a rougher then normal day. Ha ha

What more I suppose that difficulty may have some part in this RNG. So the more difficullt setting you take the more unforgiving RNG is on the globe. But I may be wrong here - not enough campaigns started from my side.

I have one computer which is quite old and allot of other games take a while to load and Phoenix Point is not one of them. I fairly sure that it simply take a long while for your PC to save the game to the cloud when you start a mission as the game saves every time you enter a mission. I have really fast internet so that time for me is hardly noticeable. My more modern computer loads faster but I donā€™t notice much difference.

Start by turning off the cloud saving in the Epic launcher or turn off the network connection and Iā€™m sure you will experience much better load times.

This also is not a developer issue in and of itselfā€¦ it is an issue either with the game engine, the Epic launcher or your connection with internet or most probably a combination of all three.

I donā€™t use Epic launcher and I have extremely fast internet. That leaves either Unity or the devs at fault for the extreme long load times (or both).

Iā€™d put a small chunk of money on a significant culprit likely being remote analytics from both Unity and Snapshotā€¦ more so from Unity with the sheer amount of bloat collection they peddle in nowadays to scrape as much personal activity data as they can get for their advertisement and 3rd party ā€˜offeringsā€™ services.

Not entirely sure if Unity have made it more flexible over time, but the impression Iā€™ve always got is that having the built-in analytics behaviour enabled for a project was pretty much a ā€˜all or nothingā€™ kind of deal.

we have a time for this? still no update?

there you have it

Is it known when it will release?

Still Danforth with Mac.

I loved this game, since i bought it in epic store. Thank you for your great job. Iā€™m not a hardcore gamer, and i like to play a game with comfort in normal difficulty mode. But your changes in tactical ballances, from patch to patch, went from bad to worst. All what i was reading in patch notes ā€œAbility ā€¦ reduced ā€¦ reduced ā€¦ reduced ā€¦ā€, "Wheapon ā€¦ reduce damageā€¦ reduce accuracy ā€¦ ". Please next time, add to the game menu, manual customization. Donā€™t spoil this game.

Mac version is live now.

1 Like

Those nerfs are absolutely necessary. I really appreciate the downtuning, itā€™s quite a brave move :slight_smile: Perhaps you should lower the difficulty in your new play-through. BTW: those nerfs arenā€™t entirely without compensation as fewer Pandorans should populate the battle fields.

1 Like

Not necessarily fewer, but certainly weaker.

The difficulty curve is much smoother now, with early missions vs the Pandorans feeling ludicrously easy to an experienced player, because it takes them time to evolve ranged weapons.

TBH, I think all players across the board (with hopefully the exception of Legendary) will find the early-mid game much easier than it has been in the past.

The Power of Pandas was already significantly reduced in previous patches. And with this patch even more by the evolution.

Right. I thought

Dynamic difficulty has been changed so that it affects the rate of pandoran evolution, not the amount of enemies deployed.

also means fewer enemies overall. Quality instead of quantity. Would also kind of indirectly make them less prone to panicking and nerf willpower gain.

If you make Dash 50% and 2 use per turn then remove it cost in AP!

The rationale for that being that you absolutely must have Assaults running across the whole map in a single turn, or the game is too hard/unfun?

Honestly I do find the lack of mobility in general justā€¦ Annoying. Like, itā€™s not even a matter of difficulty, even when I play on easy difficulty I find slow soldiers justā€¦ It leads to a lot of moments where I am forced to basically sit and wait for one or two more turns, because it takes time to where the engagement is going on.
Itā€™s particularly annoying at the first one or two turns of any battle, where you start in a blob in the middle of nowhere and generally canā€™t start taking any actions just yet, you have to first spend all your AP positioning.
Add in extra annoyance in haven defenses, particularly early-game, when you really canā€™t do anything at all because you canā€™t get anywhere close enough to even make the enemies shoot you instead of the civilians for the first turn or two and oh look, now your entire squad is panicking while the enemy is across the map and thatā€™s another turn or two just twiddingling your thumbs.

I guess, in the end, personally I just find myself justā€¦ Sighing whenever my units are short of movement.

1 Like