Phoenix Point declining player-base

I’m betting you are a Millennial, and a Liberal educated.
Common sense and critical thinkers would be looking at the chart, and making the same conclusion that the Devs are not listening to the suggestions, from We Who Pay Their Salary.

But since you asked in a non-English as a primary language manner … My main gripe, is there are ZERO Water Encounters as was suggested by PP. No boats, no sea shore encounters, no boating to an island. :dog2::astonished::thinking::roll_eyes::confused:

I seem to remember someone saying somewhere on this forum that water encounters were a stretch goal on the Fig campaign that wasn’t reached; which if that is the case would explain why there are none.

And actually, we don’t pay the devs’ salaries. We buy their game, which gives money to their company, which pays their salaries. If the company decides it doesn’t want to do X (underwater missions), the devs have little to no say in that matter.

We can tell the devs what we like & don’t like about the game by participating on one of the many communication channels that PP has set up: but ultimately if the company boss decides he doesn’t want to do something (like, for instance, let us take our squaddies’ helmets off when they’re in base), that’s who the devs are going to listen to.

One assumes that Embracer Group pays Snapshot staff salaries after being purchased by them in late 2020.

I’m not sure, but are you paying any monthly contribution to the Snapshot Games or even more directly to some of the developers? Or I don’t know. Maybe you plan to buy Phoenix Point once more (or even few times) if you say such things? :slight_smile:

I suppose that devs don’t think in terms you have. They try to do what they can in the given time they have and it is company that is paying them. @MichaelIgnotus probably explained it enough. :slight_smile:

Eh, don’t feed the old troll.

Back to topic - I’m unfortunately not sure if SG is putting much of its back into PP anymore. I’m still eager to try festering skies but expecting the worst. I’m expecting even less from the last 2 DLC.

I just hope that efforts are going into a PP2 that addresses PP’s flaws. However, I’m not expecting SG to try to make a game that does better than both PP and firaxcoms. While I would love to have the best of both worlds, it’s clear to me that they want to do a specific kind of game, a sandbox, and that’s what they’ll keep doing. XCOM 3 will still be the best cinematic / overall experience for most while PP2 will cater to the audience that likes sandboxes - human cats or something.

Oh and I totally agree that seeing my soldier’s faces provides a better and more immersive experience. It may not be for everyone, so it’s a great toggle feature.

1 Like

Whyn’t you Troll someone else, Millennial non-thinker?

TYVM for proving my point, non-critical thinker. :smiley:

I’m not a millennial, and I’m educated. Thank you, very much. Certainly educated enough to be able to separate the person that makes an argument from the argument the person makes. And sensible enough to not comment on the non-english background or the political ideology of every person that disagrees with me on any issue. On the other hand, if your point is that the Festering Skies DLC, is not a DLC focused on water… well it is not. It is called Festering Skies.

Common sense and critical thinkers would do not accept arguments from popularity, since that is by definition a fallacy. And also they usually look at the facts not to confirm the beliefs they had, but to explain the actual reality. A chart about current steam users does not show the devs are not listening to the fans, that is a claim you need to prove.

Also I remind you that when you say “We who pay their salary” you are ascribing your feelings to the entire community. I am a part of that “We” and your comment does not represent me, and certainly I dont feel forgotten by the devs.

So Im afraid, critical thinking may not be on the side of the conversation you think it is.

1 Like

Please don’t poke the bear. He currently thinks he’s won the argument, so he might just get bored and go away.

6 Likes

Come on guys, how many long games have you accomplished several times? Not many. I have already played PP two times and will do so again with news DLC’s. I can only say that about XCOM 1 and 2, Warhammer Quest 1 and 2, Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend. So replayability is something very rare and even failing to lure a player into it is absolutely normal.

Will stay loyal to the end. Its result of badly shaped and buggy releases and long bugfixes, do math better in future

Playing at legendary, will beat them bad

(done XXX hours on Epic, rookie and hard on Steam)

You need to demand a refund then. Your so called education is severely lacking in several areas. Which I will let you discover on your own, since you’re uneducable to the real world.
Adieu

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.

2 Likes

Very limited mod support. If you know where to look. Not sure how specific we can get on the forums, but a quick google search will find them. No where near the level of range & accessibility that the Steam workshop offers though :frowning:

“After mid-game gets boring.” Said every tactical strategy & 4X game?
Old & new X-COM players pretty much know what they are getting into. The main challenge is how to sell a more drawn-out game style to a wider audience of gamers that are exposed to more and more faster-paced games. If you have a suggestion or solution, I’m sure the devs would love to hear it as a suggestion post.

It is a bit of a slog to complete. I haven’t yet, since my saves were corrupted by a patch I didn’t see coming and my EGS client auto-patching. Was over 60 hours in =\

Starting a new campaign today :smiley:

[Edit:] PP was also exclusive to EGS for quite a while. There’s possibly, likely, a lot more players than Steam charts will show.

When War Of the Chosen was released it increased steam current players average per hour from 10.000 to peak of 47.000 over course of 2 months. Looking from longer time perspecitve it didn’t increase current players long-time but kept them at steady level around 3-7 thousands.

As for Festering Skies I don’t expect any big bumps from this DLC . Its scope isn’t big enough to attrack new players so low chance it will have any impact on player-base numbers. Looking at chart we see some up-tick but rather small comparing to other titles at least so far. Couple weeks ago paradox stopped Imperator Rome DLC’s development because its player base average per hour dropped below 1000. That’s 3 times PP numbers.
https://steamcharts.com/app/839770

Remember current up-tick is still from backers who are getting DLC’s for free. So we actually don’t now if any people buying this and if they are in what numbers. If PP DLCs won’t sell in reasonable numbers we could face Imperator type event at the end of the year where the devs would basically capitulate and stop development of the game. I’m thinking right now that releasing one big DLC with more marketing would be much better for the game that 6 smaller ones. This could be yet another mistake made by SnapShot.

What’s more troubling is I don’t see any real movement on Twitch and Youtube. There is some stuff but minor one. Maybe it will happen tomorrow. But has someone done any marketing of this? I don’t see any big channels speaking about Phoenix Point DLC. The answering whether this is good or really bad I leave to you.

I don’t understand. There are currently 5 channels on twitch with Phoenix Point on. One with 200 viewers. Other 4 totaling 40 people. Where are those community people that are responsible for promotion? What are they thinking? That the game sells itself on its own?

Here is one though. They may not have any person or any fund into promotion right now. So there may not be a single person paid to promote the Game. And one can argue you may not actually need to promote a DLC, as the potential customers are the people who owns the game and will or have been notified of this upcoming DLC.

Are you kidding me? Like send keys to the game to streamers. How hard this is? and can make you a millons of revenue. And you don’t do that because what? Even if you don’t have any money you can promote your game as a developer or studio. You’re making this stuff not for yourself but to sell it to players. So how the heck you don’t promote it later?

And one can argue you may not actually need to promote a DLC, as the potential customers are the people who owns the game and will or have been notified of this upcoming DLC.

Yeah. And owners can get notified that the world doesn’t work that way. But it looks like they don’t read any forums or messages to know that. Maybe they have mindfraggers on. They promoted the game more when it was bugged like hell. And now when it’s actually more finished nobody is doing anything. This is stupid. Maybe that’s why SnapShot was sold in the end. They can get stuff done but are lacking in marketing or other areas. But it doesn’t look like the change of the owner has changed anything in that departement. If what you say is true then it got actually worse.

I’m not kidding you, I said there may be no one being paid to promote the DLC. So unless you can point to someone being in charge of the promotion, it is indeed a possibility. And indeed it is common for small studios to not have PR at all.

Also, as far as I know it is not a common practice to send 8$ DLC keys to streamers before launch. Or maybe they have actually done it and the videos are not there yet. Or maybe high profile youtubers are not that interested on reporting on a DLC of a non AAA company for a non controversial game that is no hot news…

world doesn’t work that way”. But It does. There is a section that shows me when I game I have interest in or I own has received an update in steam.

The point is you are holding PP to a standard similar companies and Games usually don’t follow. So the point you are making does not seem to me as obvious as you think it is.

I think you are carrying assuptions that you have no way of knowing if are true or not. And you are kind of having a confirmation Bias here; can you point out to the promotion material of similar priced DLC on similar sized games and show it is the rule rather than the exception?

Okay. I know that. I was rather saying that normally that works if you have established brand. For small product you need to promote stuff. And even for established brands you need to work hard to sell it. This is why sales guys earn more that the ones that build stuff. Because even if you build some exceptional stuff but sold nothing, then you still have nothing. And on otherhand if you have built some shit and sold it then you still sold at least something.

Also, as far as I know it is not a common practice to send 8$ DLC keys to streamers before launch. Or maybe they have actually done it and the videos are not there yet. Or maybe high profile youtubers are not that interested on reporting on a DLC of a non AAA company for a non controversial game that is no hot news…

But we’re talking about promoting a game that possibly nobody promotes. If that’s true then you send those keys to streamers and give them commision for selling your game. Isn’t it better than doing nothing?