November Update

No part 2 of dev build playthrough? :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Yes, I’m too disappointed.

Balancing
We’ve been going through feedback from our forums, in-game reporting tool and Discord server, and have been making gameplay tweaks based on what the players have been telling us.
A few of these include:

• A complete rework of faction weapon stats. Weapons from the three factions will feel more like an upgrade than just a slight variation, and weapons that require research to acquire will be much more powerful.

Great news for many players. But I hope it won’t be like too much more powerful.

• A reduction in the frequency of Haven attacks. This will make it easier to explore without having to return to defend Havens too often. Havens can still get attacked more frequently if they’re in the operating range of multiple Pandoran nests and lairs, so you will still have to keep them protected.

Great. But I also hope for more PP bases out there.

• Stamina loss based on mission length. In Backer Build 5, soldiers lost 10 points of stamina after every mission, eventually requiring them to return to base to rest. We wanted to find a way to reward players for pushing forward in missions, without being a punishment for those who like to take their time. Now, soldiers lose 1 point of stamina for every turn the mission takes, but can still only lose a maximum of 10 per mission. If your squad is involved in a quick fight, they’re not going to be as tired.

This one bothers me really. First of all soldiers were loosing only 5 points of Stamina, but that is not important here. On the other hand devs could have it in their internal build and it was quite punishing if 1 mission could deplete like 40% of Stamina (in case if upper limit was still 25). Most important here is that game will probably still allow for quick fights like a win after 1 or 2 turns… Which is tragic, because it means that there are still super-powers for soldiers. I hope that mod support will pop up in early 2020 and I will be able to create mod which will bring game closer to X-COM than to XCOM.

• Aircraft now have pathfinding and can automatically plot refuelling waypoints on their way to the destination, which removes the need for the player to leapfrog between points of interest.

Good improvement, but it probably mean that dropships will still refuel everywhere the way they did in BB5. Which is another fail of strategic part.

• The fumble mechanic has been limited to melee weapons - so there will no longer be a chance of wasting an action on trying to fire a ranged weapon which fumbles (you can still miss though).

Good.

• Missile and launcher based weapons now have some inaccuracy , so they’re less overpowered. If you use them near your own squad you run the risk of hitting friendlies. Grenades haven’t been affected by this change.

Fantastic about missile and grenade launchers. :slight_smile: But why grenades aren’t affected?

PS. Maybe pin this thread to Phoenix Point category?
Fortunately they have worked on UI and visuals of the maps:

1 Like

There were significant changes to the build in between videos so I decided I would just wait until 1.0 and start a longer running series.

3 Likes

Considering Mr. Gollop did criticise negative Difficulty curve of FiraXCOMs, I hope this won’t repeate the issue those games have. On one had, it is nice to have a feel of progression - on the other I find sidegrades more intersting, as long as there is tactical depth to make them all useful depending on the situation.

Yeah, by that point I don’t hope to see a major redesign of skill happening. Unless aliens have something to counteract current tactics it doesn’t seem like a fun time. Of course, one need to try 1.0 to know for sure.

EDIT: It’s not impossible that there will be a varying degree of mission difficulty in later game, resulting in different length of encounters. Fighting easier fights have less of an impact is not a bad idea. XCOM2 WotC has similar mechanic.

My guess would be that throwing granades by hand requires to get closer, therefore balancing putting yourself in danger, with reliable AoE throw? LG1 worked like that, and it was fine. Does PP granades have gradual damage spread? (less damage the further from the centre of explosion?)

Thanks. I always forget about that.

So there is still hope. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the update and good luck!

A complete rework of faction weapon stats.

Hopefully…

1. everything is well balanced and not too strong
  2. Armors still got the same love for a balance

The fumble mechanic has been limited to melee weapons
Sorry, but I don’t get it, why limit only to melee? All or nothing!

Missile and launcher based weapons now have some inaccuracy. Grenades haven’t been affected by this change.
Hm, same here, all or nothing!

I see that because with ranged weapons you have decrease in accuracy. Failing of an action on top of that could be too much. With melee weapons you have 100% accuracy, so there needs to be something like fumble to show lack of proficiency.

The fumble mechanic has been limited to melee weapons
I agree, this is weird that ranged weapons can’t fumble. Was this linked to will power at all? It would have been a great way to introduce a trade off cost to the use of perks.

Missile and launcher based weapons now have some inaccuracy. Grenades haven’t been affected by this change.
Yeah, I agree here too.

Thank Anu for that! :stuck_out_tongue:

If New Jericho uses incendiary weaponry, then maybe their final development in this branch should be a dragon? :smiley: Just a loose though after watching this. You know water from Pandorans, Fire from NJ. There is also a mist! :wink:

1 Like

Oh but more seriously… Will Chirons have fire bombs, not only fireworms?